Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think highly enough of them that I own 2. :D

Very accurate, eats anything I feed it. easily carried IWB or OWB. What more could I ask for?

I have a railed model with a streamlight TLR-1 installed that is the bedside gun. I have a non railed model that is one of my main carry weapons. If I'm not carrying it then it's usually an SP101 instead. Depends on my mood and how I'm dressed which one goes with me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like mine quite a bit. I have shorter fingers, so the thinner grip works well. Only problem I have ever had with it was a failure to feed with some reloads. I took the magazine apart and wiped it all down with a silicone cloth, and hadn't had a problem since.

My only complaint, and it is a minor one, is that the front sight is a bit skinny for my shooting style. It leaves a bit of a gap on either side in my sight picture, which leads me to drift a bit with my shots.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i don't own one and probably never will due to its design and track record............

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought one a few months after they came out as an impulse purchase while at a local gun shop. I really didn't like all the PC crap on it and it may sound weird, but I just didn't trust it. I sold it and bought another P97DC (now I have 2) and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought one about a year ago from a fella that shot exactly one box (50 rds) through it. He said it wasn't reliable. I've since put 6 boxes of 230 gr FMJ through it without so much as one hiccup.

I like it. Its not as bulky as the P90. Slimmer profile. I'd buy another! 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bought mine just over 18 months ago ,,,,, carry it everywhere I go ,,,,, take it to the range and put a 100 round box of Winchesters through it once a month, and never had a failure of any kind.

wolfman

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like mine - carry it everyday. I've got about 700 rounds through it with not one stoppage. I bought mine new about 8 months ago.

·
Banned
298 Posts
They have too many parts and crap on them for me to even consider one. Not to mention the loaded chamber indicator and magazine safety.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The magazine disconnect is not well designed. If you dryfire the weapon without an empty magazine in place the disconnect plunger will get peened and deformed. This can result in it getting stuck in it's recess and blocking the firing pin even when a magazine is inserted and you are intentionally firing the weapon. This "false magazine out" condition can lead to a click no bang when you need a bang the most.

Early adopters of this pistol knew nothing about this, nor did Ruger apparently until reports of the click, no bang started surfacing. Ruger then re-printed the manual to tell users not to dry fire the weapon without an empty magazine in place.

So, bad press initially due to that hiccup.

Bottom line is if you don't dry fire the weapon without an empty mag in place you'll be fine. If it bothers you that much anyway, simply remove it. I know people get all in a twist when people recommend removing mag safeties, but how many Browning HP's have had that done over the years??

I have two P345's as I said earlier. Both of them have rear sights that are clean as a whistle ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
the 345 is an excellent concept but as noted, its early introduction revealed some paticulars about its design that raised a few eyebrows.........

the mag disconnect feature i believe is of poor design as the weapon could become damaged--easily and accidently over time. And i do not want to remove a designed safety device that is part of the weapon system. here are two old threads concerning the issues and pros and cons of parts removal.

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=1968

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=2038

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought one a few months after they came out as an impulse purchase while at a local gun shop. I really didn't like all the PC crap on it and it may sound weird, but I just didn't trust it. I sold it and bought another P97DC (now I have 2) and haven't looked back.
Although I know many who own them are very happy with the gun, I'm like cavediver on not liking or trusting the new safety features etc. I did consider one And it really felt good in my hand but I sure wish they would make the 345 with P97 innards:)
Baker

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've shot my brother's a few times in the last few months. I liked it and was mainly to see what size grip and features my wife wanted as she ended up getting a used P85.

My brother got it several years ago as a backup when he went to Iraq. First time in the 90's he brought a Taurus 9 mm backup and wanted more power the next time around.

I thought it had good balance. We'll shoot it again.

Dana

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never shot one

I've never shot one, but when they first came out I looked a one in a Gunshop. I like the slim line, but I have kind'a big hands; I might have to add on a "Hogue" slip-on grip to get the right feel. Most every pistol I have or had I've used "Hogue" finger groove grips. The only pistol I haven't done that to is my Para Ordnance LDA Tac-Four 45acp. (12+1 wide body frame)

·
Registered
195 Posts
My P345DPR is a solid investment, IMHO.

The loaded chamber indicator is very simple and doesn't effect performance in my opinion.

The mag disconnect is VERY simple to fix... ;)

For the price, which I got mine for $320, its a solid investment.

Just wish someone would make a decent kydex holster for it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love it. Mine sits as home defense gun #1. I wish there were more sight options as the dots are getting a bit tiny for my old eyes, but other than that ... cake.

Ed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts