Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new EDC backpack and thought that I could start a thread about our EDC backpacks/bags and share what we like or dislike about them. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything started already. So who wants to start?

Don't post about whats in your backpack/bag just tell us about the bag and what you like or dislike. Pictures are always welcomed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had a variety of backpacks and bags over the years and many of them see duty on a motorcycle which really tests their meddle. I have had a couple failures and learning from those have narrowed down my choices to the following three.

My everyday work bag is a Osprey elroy courier bag, its roomy enough for a jacket and all my other junk, has a ton of pockets and dividers, plus its made from thick durable fabric. A main feature is there is a quick access zipper on the top so that I don't have to un-flap the front to get to the contents. I suspect that same zipper is the weak point as it is stressed when lifting by the handle but it is typically not under strain when using the very secure shoulder strap which is especially important while riding.

For moderate hiking, overnights, and long rides or heavy cargo (to the range) I go with the Osprey Mutant 38, its a rock climbing sack pack with only two zippers on the detachable top (none on the main compartment). The z compression is awesome and a mollie scabbard or two fit on the side under the compression straps. The inside fits a dry bag liner perfectly and adds to the indestructibility. Its ultra comfortable and has a ton of adjustment. The detachable top is well designed for quick access to important items. This is my favorite pack thus far.

I also use a kelty avocet just for tossing around with another dry bag liner. It has a breathable back panel that's good for airflow on very hot days. Its cheaper and smaller than the mutant plus it looks more like a standard backpack for commuting as well.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This will be my first of two posts. I don't have time to describe my current EDC pack and its strengths and shortcomings, now. But I do want to say this is a great idea for a valuable thread! I'm just now beginning to research packs for a replacement, hoping to find a modular design that would allow me to have a reasonable size for EDC, to which I can simple add modules for trips or bug-out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in need of a new EDC backpack and thought that I could start a thread about our EDC backpacks/bags and share what we like or dislike about them. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything started already. So who wants to start?

Don't post about whats in your backpack/bag just tell us about the bag and what you like or dislike. Pictures are always welcomed.
I've been researching bags for this purpose quite a bit lately so I'm glad you started this thread. You'll likely get many suggestions and opinions on what works best. There are tons of options out there. I'm on a budget so I'm leaning toward the UTG tactical messenger bag. It looks to be decent quality at a much lower price than the Maxpedition product it seems to be patterned after. Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like Timbuk2 Backpacks and some of the 5.11 Packs really interest me.

I have always had Timbuk2 messenger and backpack, they are very solid but the older models that I have lack organization. Just one big pocket and one small one. They are very well built and have a multitude of different colors available, even can custom order your bags. I probably will stick to the Timbuk2 brand since I have had excellent luck with them. I have had my bags for 8 years (Bought them used off of ebay too) and they show little to no wear and I use them daily. Here is the only picture that I currently have right now:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used a lot of bags in my lifetime. Some of them are slim but having a little space inside. I can't carry my essentials in them. I paid dollars for only beauty! lol. Some of my bags have enough space but looks too awkward to carry somewhere else. A few days back I found some bags online that look so pretty and have enough space inside. I’ve seen one girl is carrying fruits inside her bag too! Swedish military backpacks and swiss army bags are recommended by one of my friends. Do you have any suggestions for me? Let me know

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,652 Posts
I bought a attache/ briefcase from the NRA store years ago. It has a padded laptop compartment . Large main pocket. Outside molle configured with three pouches included. Being black with the NRA logo it does look tactical, but it works well for my uses.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,313 Posts
I initially looked for one when I started riding motorcycles. I looked for backpacks designed for carrying laptops. I bought this last month for $23.99 from amazon. Lots of padding, compartments, and looks well built.
I took removable magazine holders from an old pistol range bag and put them here for a more organized interior.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,752 Posts
I carry on body, because I do not want a bag ripped from my hands, but there is one near exception: fishing. It is the closest I come to off-body carry.

I find that the Cabelas fishing vest / floatation vest has a perfect zippered pocket for a small handgun. My Taurus 85 rides there in a Simply Rugged pocket holster.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I have a Velo Transit (I think 30) and really like it, made in USA, very durable, carries well, and I could probably fit my 4 year old in it plus a change of clothes for each of us. I was lucky and found mine at a Bargain Hunt for $25 (they sell overstock, returns, etc from other places like Amazon). Not sure I would have gotten at full price though as they run over $200. Picture is from the internet, mine is brown and black, not all black. I love the roll top, it's probably my favorite feature.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am so glad you gents brought back to life seven year old posting. I'm guessing the OP has made his choice by now!!! Ya Think??

He was last here in July of 2017.............

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,752 Posts
I am so glad you gents brought back to life seven year old posting. I'm guessing the OP has made his choice by now!!! Ya Think??

He was last here in July of 2017.............
You never know!

But thanks. It Reminds me to check the freshness dates on the OP, for posts flagged as “new”in the new interface.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Necro-threads are a "good" thing IMO. My kit bags have always been dob kits, mostly ones that are on the small size. Now my edc kit bag has only a mouse gun and not my 1911 and it is even smaller. It was a gimme bag in biz class on KLM years ago and it is the perfect size for me, so when it dies I will replicate the size as close as I can. Bug out bag is a pack on frame and only goes with me on road trips, def not edc.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mine is a Ford F150 with a topper on it. All the crap I “need” could never be carried in a bag or backpack. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well lets see, since I last posted in 2014 I still have the same three bags! The Osprey top zipper went out a couple years ago and I went ahead and stitched it up and it still serves just fine for my everyday throw around bag. There have been a couple other minor repairs mainly to water bottle mesh but the overall fabric is quite impressive.
The other two are tough as nails which I attribute to the simple design and the thick plastic dry bags that spread the load and appears to keep stress off the seams.
I did add a maxpedition jumbo versipack to the rotation for mall duty. It has just enough room for a couple diapers, wipes, and other essentials. I have never been asked to check it at a store like my larger courier bag so I presume it goes largely unnoticed.
There is something to be said about starting with quality gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts