Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what your favorite animal is to hunt? While growing up and over the years since, I've hunted deer, rabbit, squirrel and doves. My all-time favorite has been deer but as I've gotten older I've enjoyed hunting squirrel about as much. I'd say now deer slightly nudges out squirrel as my favorite game to go after. :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'd have to say dove hunting. The challenge of shooting on the wing, much more shooting and more days in the field, and minimal costs.
Hard to say about 2nd place---either phesant(rare but tons of fun), or sandhill crane.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I'm with you Taurus! Only thing I would add is Elk, but I'm not up to the mountains any more.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I honestly would rather hunt squirrels than anything. I think they are a blast, and I get as big a kick out of hunting them as deer. I like them because I can move around more and still kill a few instead of sitting still for hours on end hoping to catch a glimpse of a deer. Now, I would rather eat deer, and my favorite critter to eat is rabbit, but squirrels are the most fun, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rman,

Elk would be something I would like to try sometime. We had them reintroduced back into Kentucky in, I believe, around 1998 from Utah. Apparently they were here before around 100 years ago or so but all were completely killed off. The last I had heard there are now between 5,000 - 6,000 in E. Ky and down in parts of E. Tennessee.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Ducks and upland bird, for the same reasons as above. The big deer trip lost its appeal after college, when I started working in the cold all winter. Pheasant can be hunted wearing jeans and a t-shirt around here, and the duck blinds are a ten minute walk from the house.

Turkeys are too much fun. Easy and yet difficult at the same time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Handgun hunting for deer is just two much fun. But if just hunting with freinds, then squirrels are hard to beat. The bunny huggers up here in Michigan won't let us hunt doves or sandhills.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have to agree with Taurus_9mm and say deer with squirrel running a close second, because these are the two I can and do hunt on a regular basis. Let my finances get longer and hogs, bear, elk, caribou and moose would all be on the endangered list. Also would like to try my hand at turkey, ducks and geese and some of those other birds.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kim

Coyotes

Molon Labe

Kim
Oh yeah! How could I forget coyotes? Not my favorite, but about number 4 on the list. Also like to shoot crows and prairie dogs. Haven't got to in a while though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bryan

Deer,squirrel,& ground hog
Bryan, you're not too far from me in Northern Virginia. Could you come to my house and hunt the groundhogs that have built an Osama-style underground bunker beneath my shed??

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tree Rats and Wabbits with hand gun for sure!

After this fall/early winter I just might add hogs! Cant make up my mind about what to use though. Hell Ill just use a different gun for each trip.

That'll work! [8D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been a Moose hunting fanatic ever since I shot my first Bull Moose on my 14th birthday on October 1, 1971. I enjoy hunting Elk, Muley Deer, Whitetail Deer & Black Bear also, but for my favorite hunt I would pick Moose everytime.
--Ken

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
nice pictures, just about anything really if it doesn't cost and arm and leg to hunt it.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts