Ruger Forum banner

What's your favorite ugly stepchild gun?

5K views 81 replies 43 participants last post by  FOGeologist 
#1 ·
As the title says- what gun in your collection isn't very nice or pretty, but is one you like?

Mine is this old Taurus model 66, 357 magnum. I got it as a throw in with another purchase for a whopping $100. It's scratched up and was dropped on it's rear sight at one point, pinching one of the blades in. I've learned that with my sight picture, if I touch the tip of the bent sight to the top corner of the front sight, it's a tack driver, so I haven't changed it out yet. It's been the gun that guards my front door for a dozen years, and I have every confidence in it when I answer the door with it tucked behind my leg.

Revolver Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel

Automotive tire Bicycle part Auto part Recreation Metal

See less See more
#5 ·
My Glock 21.
A police trade-in, looked brand new and was priced so low I couldn't pass it up.
.45ACP which I like, and the gun shoots well and it's accurate, of course Glocks are very utilitarian.
But it's also frickin' HEAVY.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Fully loaded magazine w/pistol weighs 2lbs 7.2oz. - yikes
Bumper Trigger Wood Fashion accessory Gun accessory

13rnd Magazine loaded with 230gr = 12.6oz.
Office equipment Postal scale Rectangle Gas Scale

#15 ·
High Standard R-106 22LR revolver.

Scratched, muzzle wear, someone painted the grips.
Ugly as sin. But for some reason I can't part with it.

View attachment 186665
I have that same pistol, mines a sentinel , been well used but always works. Inherited it.

#26 ·
My ugly gun was a RAPC in 9mm, but in the midst of the pandemic, my nephew needed something and I didn't want him to get gouged, so I sold it to him. The rest that I have are not ugly
SR1911 fullsize
SR1911 officer (I did add hogue grips to make it fit better; makes it less pretty, but not really ugly)
10/22 takedown
Mark IV Lite (gold)
And my oldest; a Mossberg 500 that I have had for 25 years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.