Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones' favorite "formal" or sanctioned type of competitions are. We've heard some from snuffy about CASS and the weapons he uses and the type of shooting done.

Anyone else shoot competetively on the local or State level? be it pistol, rifle, or shotgun?
Would like to hear about some of your matches and equipent used be it:

cass
ipsec
idpa
hunter/pistol
ppc
bullseye
3 gun matches
rimfire rifle matches
centerfire rifle
sportin clays
etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I was in JROTC in high school (over 20 years ago!) and was on the rifle team. We shot .22 LR my first two years and switched to air rifles the last due to supposed concern over lead poisoning. This was, of course, formal, Army style shooting, with prone, knealing, and standing shooting at bullseyes. It was a great foundation for my later shooting. I have only participated in a couple of matches since then, one a match one of our local cops put on. It was a regular, qualification style match, with B-27 targets. I was one of the few that used a revolver, a GP100. I also qualified at Freindship, IN at the NMLRA matches with pistol (blackpowder revolver, flintlock, and caplock single shot pistols). This was by far the hardest match I ever shot! This is shot with one hand only, at 25 and 50 yards! I also qualified with a Smith and Wesson .38 Special (for a job) and scored a 295/300. The instructor told me I had the high score for 2 or 3 states (with that particular company). Don't know if he was yanking my chain or not. I also was a former NRA Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use to do a lot of small bore hunter/pistol. the good ole' chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams. My favorite gun was the t/c contender 22lr with a millet red dot. Lots of competitive guns on the local level ranging from ruger autos to browning buckmarks and even single sixes. Had different classes for iron sighs or optics. This sport was a ton of fun but unfortunately the negative was the time down during relays awaiting your turn . This sport has died out in my area. We also shot a "big bore" match at much larger animals. 357's and 44's very popular. T/C's again ruled the roost but blackhawks and gp100's made good showings as well.

Small bore rifle matches with the .22 lr also thrown in for added fun. Various classes for all shooters so everyone only competed against folks in their class. Fun part there is every once in a while a shooter will show up with a marlin 60 and win against anschultz or walther shooters. I remember one paticular match very well. 3 shooters came over with very tricked out ruger 10-22's. Think they were called chevy truck team challenge shooters or something like that. Them boys were SPEED shooters. They shot almost machine gun fast and they were accurate to boot----quite impressive for sure considering the snail pace we were doing.

All these steel games have generous time requirements and all shooting is unsupported free-hand---gets awful interesting when the wind is blowing!;)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have shot bowlin pin at the range I belong too. But they stopped shooting that match and went to shooting 22's at 25 yards or so with the rifle all bolted down the scpoe is as long as the barrel. I did like the bowlin pin match's didn't get to go to many of them but the few that I did I really enjoyed. I was using a 686 and shot 38 sp was just enojy to knock the steel plates over. I really like sass but still pretty close to last sure hope I get better soon lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The range i just joined does bowling pin matchs, They are actually have their first bowling pin match of the year next weekend. I'm looking forward to trying my luck.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
its a hoot your going to love it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ain't tried it---don't have the equipment----but there are some area 22LR bench matches i've been told about. But these matches the guns are actually locked into bench vices with 36x scopes or more. They sight in, stand to the side with one of those camera cable things, and when the wind is right, they "click" the button and the gun goes off. Strictly and accuracy of the gun thing i guess and the only part the shooter has is to watch the wind flags and push a button. Popular from what i hear but i ain't use to that.

I still want to make a cass match to see what i'm missing.

Hey snuffy, any "railroad engineers" types at them cass matches so i can just wear a set of overalls?:D i promise i'll button the sides........................

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ya see just about everything there pal. If your over 49 then ya can shoot 49'er class its what I shoot right now. I am sure that they will welcome you as you are blue jeans and boots some sort of hat, and you on your way. I've never seen a rail roader there but shoot why not they were back in the west as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Winter:
Bowling pin matches monthly.
Weekly alternating Bullseye and USPSA style action shoots.

Summer:
CMP style Garand matches (including Garands, M1 Carbines, K31 Swiss, '03 Springfields etc).
NRA High power matches at area clubs.

Am looking to do more USPSA style pistol stuff in the summer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
in junior high and high school i shot a lot of air rifle with the air cadets even went to provincials once we started competing against other squadrons also shot 22lr lee enfield trainers with the cadets until we were forced to switch to the anschutz now i shoot sporting clays , trap and skeet all summer and am getting into cas

·
Registered
220 Posts
Trap all summer and fall, .22 paper punching and sillhouette in both pistol and rifle, and bi-monthly sillhouette pistol shooting.

Tried Bullseye, but just couldn't get hooked.

Don't have a good high-power bolt yet for distance match shooting, but am looking around.

JJ

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've shot bullseye , both rife and pistol sillouette , PPC , benchrest , schutzen , muzzle
loaders , BR50 , DCM and CAS .. I still have all my match gun I won with and most of
them I built myself.... started shooting matches around 1968 and still going strong today

·
Registered
374 Posts
4 seasons of smallbore 2-position rifle in high school (anschutz rifles, not mine)

3600pts or so of bullseye (50ft to 50yds) (buckmark w/ tacsol barrel, S&W Mod-14-3, Kimber TLE-II)

2 steel plate matches

2 idpa matches - fun! (Kimber TLE-II)

-Daizee

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've shot bullseye , both rife and pistol sillouette , PPC , benchrest , schutzen , muzzle
loaders , BR50 , DCM and CAS .. I still have all my match gun I won with and most of
them I built myself.... started shooting matches around 1968 and still going strong today
I have my own gun range and steel [12 x 12 ] at 20 , 25 , 30, 50 , 75 , 100 ,
150 , 200 and 300 yards 14 total... Paper at 100 and 200 yds plus a portable
frame , chrony and bench and shaded in summer. Bench is at 100 yds and
200 yd turn into 100 yd benchrest target

·
Registered
30 Posts
Starting to shoot .22 offhand "meat shoot" matches, lots of fun and cheap to shoot (except for the dozen or so boxes of various brands of match ammo that I purchased to find one my gun liked best). Doing the same with black powder matches. Boy do I have a lot to learn where smoke poles are concerned! Also shot a 200 yard High Power rifle match, with a Garand. I am hooked. What a wonderful old gun, accurate and ergonomic. If you have never shot one and get a chance to do so, odds are that you will own one soon after. They are a rifleman's rifle. I never shot any formal matches in my pervious five decades and had no idea what I was missing. Just "do it," you will not regret it!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If it is shooting, then I am game. I have not tried that much due to limitations of the ranges around here. But I do love skeet. Would like to try shooting some reactionary targets and steel plates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Matches

PPC and IPSC in my early years then CAS for 10 years. Lately its has been a little sporting clays, IDPA, and am shoot coodinator for my club's muzzleloader matches. I would love to go back to CAS (I shoot Frontiersman) but it is an all day thing and I don't think my clothes fit anymore. :eek: I still have two sets of CAS guns though. The only ones that really get shot much these days is the Ruger BHs in 45 Colt. While I don't agree with all of the rules/procedures in IDPA, it is a really good way to discover how well you can handle your chosen defensive handgun in a variety of scenarios. I'm a mediocre shot at sporting clays (I never practice, just don't have the time to do it all) but once retirement kicks in I hope to get out of "C" class.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I shoot USPSA with my local range as I am a member of the staff. I just started doing it last year and I started with a P95 and finished with a Taurus 24/7 but I have since sold both to get a Ruger SR9 that I plan on competing in the Production division in.
Gunner out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts