Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like what was once called the "survivalist movement" has of late become a lot more mainstream. There's even at least one TV show dedicated to showcasing these people, and they're now known as "preppers". Having watched a few episodes of this show now, I honestly don't know what to think. On one hand, I can appreciate being prepared...but where does one draw the line? How far do you go with being so caught up in "survival," preparing for some apocalypse that MIGHT happen, that you forget to have a life? I'm neither for nor against this; like I said, I'm not sure what to think on this one just yet. I will add that I see nothing wrong with having emergency "go bags" for you & your family in the event of a natural disaster or something like that. Ditto for a cache of supplies for unexpected power outages and such. But as far as "preppers": What say you?

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is a difference from being prepared to being completely nutzoid.
The fact that there is a reality show about them lends no credibility to them whatsoever.
Most of them act like they are directly related to those guys on Duck Dynasty.
Reality tv is cheap to produce. That's why it is on tv.

We have 3 weeks of food, 50 gallons of generator fuel and a sign on our door that says "Go Away".
That's as prepared as I am going to get. I am not going to let public paranoia influence my life.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Total collapse of society and head for the woods? I don't think so, not in what's left of my lifetime.

A protracted period of financial downturn to rival the Great Depression? Maybe. Soup lines and tent cities everywhere wouldn't be hard to imagine now. We have stocked up on gear and "essentials", canned goods and TP, etc., to tough out a bad stretch at home.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think we are all "preppers" to an extent. It's the extent that can get you out of trouble or paranoid depending on which side. Even where the line is and what realistically prepared really is, is skewed. I believe in being prepared for reasonable occurrences. One could argue that being prepared for someone to break into my house is paranoid. I don't consider it paranoid but prepared. I don't keep a years worth of food either, but I do have some. I am going to slowly become more prepared, but it isn't going to take over or take away from my life currently.

I guess that is where the line is! If worrying about what might happens takes over what is happening, you got a problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have enough supplies to provide for your family for a month in an emergency, I consider you pretty well prepared. If you have enough for a platoon for a lifetime you may need to seek professional help. Natural disasters will occur, and it only makes sense to be able to take care of your loved ones when it does. (I live in Iowa, not a big terrorist target)

·
Registered
111 Posts
...where does one draw the line?
I have been asking myself, and my family, this for a couple of months now. The word "prepper" is embarrassing to me, and I cringe a bit when I hear it or say it. I am interested in survivalism and self-sufficiency, not conspiracy. For instance, I am very curious about this book "Strategic Relocation". But, I haven't been able to make myself order a copy because of the religion/politics that it is infused with. Unfortunately, like anything else, one must wade through the BS to find the kernels of truth. And, ultimately, it is up to you to decide where the line is between being prepared and being paranoid. Good luck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think a person needs to take a look at realistic scenarios and also look at recent history. The people on the beach in New Jersey lost everything when their homes were washed away. Stockpiling goods or cash at that location would have been a waste of resources for them so it's not a case of the same type of preparation for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
What disasters are we preparing for? If it is weather related then you could have a power outage lasting 2-3 weeks so in my area this time of the year water and heat are the main considerations with food close behind. If you are prone to floods (I sit on a hill so not a consideration here) then you may have to leave your home for higher ground and that presents different problems like having cash, clothing and shelter. Weather related should be somewhat localized so you can pack up and leave if you have to.

If a terrorist strike happens particularily if it's biological then the home may become a fortress and medical attention might become the item you need the most.

If it's nuclear and you survive the blast then radiation becomes the issue and we may all wind up down under with James and Kiwi.

If it's a financial meltdown that spins out of control and the banks are closed for a period of time, then enough cash to buy a few groceries and wait.

The short answer is we can't prepare for every possible disaster so a little preparation for the most likely, weather related is smart. Even a decent plan may go up in smoke if the weather is a tornado and your home looks like toothpicks afterwards.

Loss of power is the main issue in this part of the country so we had a standby automatic generator installed in the spring of 2011 and that should provide full power to the house for about 5 days with a tank full of propane. It can go a lot longer if needed by running it less than 24 hours if it looks like it will be a long outage. Running 12 hours should transulate to 10 days, etc. and as long as the tank can be refilled then we could go for quite a while and still be comfortable. We may run out of somethings like milk, etc. but won't go hungry with the food in the freezer and on the shelves.

A little preparation adds to comfort in a crisis but excessive preparation is just a cash drain.

Reactions: north tex

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Seems like what was once called the "survivalist movement" has of late become a lot more mainstream. There's even at least one TV show dedicated to showcasing these people, and they're now known as "preppers". Having watched a few episodes of this show now, I honestly don't know what to think. On one hand, I can appreciate being prepared...but where does one draw the line? How far do you go with being so caught up in "survival," preparing for some apocalypse that MIGHT happen, that you forget to have a life? I'm neither for nor against this; like I said, I'm not sure what to think on this one just yet. I will add that I see nothing wrong with having emergency "go bags" for you & your family in the event of a natural disaster or something like that. Ditto for a cache of supplies for unexpected power outages and such. But as far as "preppers": What say you?
There are two kinds of preppers, (1) the ones you read about or see on TV and (2) the ones you don't.
(1) Are not real preppers, they are people looking for their 15 minutes of fame.
(2) Are real, are being careful and know what they are doing. You will not see or hear them talking about it.

Reactions: north tex

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
In the first season of the show, I thought a few of the people had good ideas. In this new season, I think that NGC has slipped a bit into the "fringe" of preparation.

I realize that most people don't can, dry, or even garden anymore, the supermarket is too convenient. But we grew up that way, and we still do it to a decent extent. But buying gold and silver, freeze dried everything in buckets, not for me. Who is going to give you change for your bar of gold when you need to but some flour?

And drive some hundreds of miles to your "bug out" location? Do these folks think they will be the only ones trying to get out of Dodge? What about the people in all the small towns you have to pass through to get there? In desperate times do you think they will just say "Have a nice day" and wave as you go by?

We'll bug in thanks, and do our best to ride out the trouble.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
When Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast one of my earliest thoughts was those preppers don't look so stupid now. As with all of these survivalist trends some people go over the top. I think if the shtf I will go live with the Amish. Those folks know how to survive on the land.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Food
water
guns
ammo
Jack Daniels/Van Hartog cigars....LOL
tent/shelter/sleeping bag
fishing equip
knife/machete/axe/tomahawk/shovel/saw
meds
sturdy foot wear
hunting clothes/ kit
batteries
radio
torch/spotlights
camp stove
tool kit
rope.
I don't believe anyone is or can be prepped for every scenario.....whether it be Mother Natures fury as in a storm or volcanic/earthquake event to civil insurrection and anarchy or a major war event ....the best equipment you can have is sitting on top of your shoulders....YOUR BRAIN and the power of logic to do the best with what ever situation presents itself,sure be aware and have your basic gameplan and equipment,but you cant live your whole life in anticipation of something that odds on may never happen.Many here hunt and if you have the gear /equipment to stay in the woods your pretty sorted for most scenarios.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I think we all should have some supplies stockpiled for any emergency and a way to protect those supplies and your family. Most likely we will need to hunker down in place and take care of ourselves for a period of time.

Here in California it could be a massive earthquake that knocks out everything from roads, to communications, power, water, sewer, and the food supply. That's our number one disaster scenario.

Where I draw the line is all these people who think they will be able to "head for the hills" and survive somewhere off the grid. Well, the hills around here are already home to some well-armed folks who aren't likely to put out the welcome mat for strangers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
what preppers forget is those hills belong to someone else.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a line I recently read in an article dealing with this very topic: "Lots of people say that in the worst case scenario, they'll go 'live off the land'. Only problem: Ever tried living off the land? It sucks."

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's a line I recently read in an article dealing with this very topic: "Lots of people say that in the worst case scenario, they'll go 'live off the land'. Only problem: Ever tried living off the land? It sucks."
Whenever I hear someone say "I'll head for the woods and live of the land", I think of someone who is going to freeze or starve to death before the end of the month.

I run into more and more people every day who are concerned about things like security, growing/raising own food/ learning useful low tech skill sets. I ran into one this last weekend who was highly educated (bank manager) and was very concerned about putting together an 'alternative' skill set over the next few years.

There are a lot of people out there that think something bad is coming down the pike and for a lot of good reasons. Most likely scenario is a weimer/venezeula/argentina slow slide into economic collapse.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Prepping is a world of it's own. If you watch the show Doomsday Preppers it's actually a hilarious show. Most of them are nuts. Preppers are preparing for something that most likely will not happen. It's really dumb.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Some of them people have totally gone off the deep end. I believe in being prepared to a degree but some of that stuff is ridiculous. Did you see the episode last year were the guy practically shot off his thumb...Wow! his kids were impressed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts