Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Ok....lets say you have been invited by friends, co-workers, relatives or acquaintances to join their team at a weekly skeet, trap or Sporting Clays league. Naturally you can't be expected to use the shotgun you have already....that would be crazy. This calls for a new shotgun.

For this discussion you have to pick a semi-auto.

What would you pick and why? If you already have the semi you would pick....lets see some pics. Everyone loves pics of beautiful shotguns.

There's a couple shotguns I really like, the Benelli Legacy, that nice Remington 1100 American Classic (I think) and the Browning A5. If I were forced to pick one.....I think I'd have to go with the new Browning A5 Ultimate.
http://www.browning.com/products/fir...-ultimate.html

The area where I grew up, Huntington, WV and vicinity, everyone wanted and loved the A5 back then, but they had to be the ones made in Belgium. I can remember all those years ago when I was a kid looking forward to when the SEARS color catalog would come in and I would get it and turn right to the section for the shotguns and there it would be, the Browning A5. Naturally they were not the ones made in Belgium, but in Japan. No matter to a kid though, I loved the way they looked.
I told myself that I'd have my own A5 one day when I grew up. Unfortunately I haven't made good on that yet, but I intend to. Maybe it will be this new A5 Ultimate.

It's a gorgeous shotgun and it comes with a 100,000 round guarantee! What's not to love CZ redhead premier?

So many stunning shotguns available to shooters and hunters. It would be hard to make a bad pick. So, I think I'll use my pick and take the A5 Ultimate.

What's your choice and why?

PICS??

Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just went through this and bought a 1100 Magnum, then bought a Trap barrel for it. I like the wood on the Magnum better than the other 1100s. The gun I bought was in excellent condition with low rounds fired. The piston is 98% original bluing. The original trap barrels aren't cheap by any means though. I also bought a Browning BT 99, and that's what I've been using so far. I had a 1100 Magnum for 40 years and sold it a while back then wanting to get into trap, bought another.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I tend to stay with Mossberg for my shotgunning needs. Habits are hard to break.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Benelli Raffaello 12 gauge . The reason it’s not a gas auto but inertia stays clean and shoots light loads. IMG_0389.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have an 1100 field for skeet & Sporting and an 11-87 Trap for trap. I have an older 870TC that I like better for trap than the 11-87. I just shoot the 870 better.

·
One Star
9,736 Posts
Remington 1100 12ga. Semi-auto 27" 4 shot.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Going to date myself here.:eek: My shotgun shooting sports career has ended, but I still have my semi-auto shotgun of choice, a 32 inch bbl Beretta A303 trap. I just love that gun, it's reliable in function and shoots very clean. It's one that my son has given me orders to never let it go.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hard to beet a Remmy 1100. But my favorite would be a Beretta 390 or 391 if you can find one. The Beretta multi target is also a great machine but pricey.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Some will call the 1100 "dated", that is overshadowed by newer designs like the Beretta and Benelli. The newer Remington, the 11-87 will cycle different power level loads better than the 1100.
The 1100's are still a nice shotgun, I haven't had enough reason to switch to an Italian shotgun. There's a reason Remington has sold close to 4 million of them.

I bought this 1985 vintage 1100 for $425, the previous owner had sprayed it with camo paint to go duck hunting. He removed most of the paint, but also removed most of the finish off of the stock.
It came with a 28 inch Remchoke barrel. I bought another fixed choke barrel and shortened it to 21", then had it threaded for Tru-Lock standard chokes.
Refinished the stock with Tru-Oil.
It patterns nice and is my new quail getter. Wouldn't be bad for self defense either, as it has a Choate +3 extension and a Meprolight white Tritium bead.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
Back in the mi-70's I was into skeet shooting up to my ears. I started with a Remington 1100 skeet grade 12 gauge. I liked it so well that I bought a 3" magnum model 12 gauge 1100 (fixed full choke, 28") for hunting ducks. A local store was going out of business so I got a smokin' deal on a 20 gauge 3" magnum fixed full choke 1100 (no vent rib). Later, I ordered a 2 3/4" vent rib barrel with a fixed modified choke for the 20 gauge. This has been my all time favorite dove and quail gun. Other than cleaning, the only required maintenance is replacing the rubber "O" ring every couple years.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
If on a budget, the Remington 11-87. If money is of little concern, I'd be looking at Beretta and Benelli.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Approx 30 years ago I bought a Benelli Montefeltro (back when Heckler & Koch were the importers for Benelli). After 30 years and several thousand rounds it has never failed me.
It is popular in Argentina with the dove hunting businesses due to longevity and dependability.
Recoil operated and easy to clean and maintain, no gas seals. Recoil is a small bit more than a gas operated gun. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have an older 28" 1100 gun for skeet and sporting. An 11-87 Trap Premier trap gun. Why, both sere bargains bought used.
right now I've been using a 725 Sporting for all 3 games, really like it but a little costly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Id have to use the 1187 I won about 15 yrs ago. It only has about 15-20 rounds thru it I bought a couple extra choke tubes thinking my son and his new lab would be doing some bird hunting. Didnt happen for some reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts