Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My son apparently never looks in the gun case. I grabbed my 500 magnum out of it and he said, "You have two of them?". I said, "no, that's a 460". The look of confusion said it all. Of course, the wind chill is 9 degrees and he wanted to shoot it so I loaded two hot 45 Colts in it and handed it to him (250gr @ 1,000fps), then grabbed that new 44 magnum and put two rounds in it, since it had never been fired.

He loves my Ruger 44 Buntline so I told him that 45 Colt would feel like a BB gun out of that 73oz X-Frame. He agreed after he fired them. Then we both fired 1 from the 44 magnum. That thing is surprisingly tame with 240gr @1310fps. Very enjoyable. I doubt I will get rid of that one. Trigger is pretty decent. Single action is about perfect. Just need to polish her up and wait for the wood new grips. I don't like those 2 piece rubber grips. Not at all. Too bad it won't take a set of Smith K/L grips. I have 2 extra sets of those target grips I put on the 460 & 500.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is a S&W classic model 57 6" 41 mag, below is a classic 586 357, the top and bottom are a 27-2 357 8.5", and on the Botton model 29-2 44mag. Rugers pictured 3 SP101's 2 327 federal, one 22, GP100 44 special, and 44 mag Redhawk.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, I worked on the Taurus Model 44 tonight. Probably 5 hours or so. It’s a factory matte stainless. I wanted to polish it up. Well, the finish is finished. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to the luster I wanted but I got close. I ran into what appears to be a cast side plate, which meant I had to settle with a bright satin finish. This about killed me as I had the barrel right where I wanted it… I did the cylinder right after this pic was taken.
Tool Gun accessory Hand tool Wood Nickel

Unfortunately, I worked on that frame for over an hour before I finally removed the side plate and flipped it over to discover it was some type of cast stainless. Disheartened as I was, I spent another hour trying to figure out how to fix what I had. I was able to get it to a near polish, a little better than a factory Smith, so I went with that on the frame and toned down the barrel and cylinder a touch. It’s not as bright as my polished S&W but it came as close as I’ll be able to get it with my skills.
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Line

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I worked on the Taurus Model 44 tonight. Probably 5 hours or so. It’s a factory matte stainless. I wanted to polish it up. Well, the finish is finished. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to the luster I wanted but I got close. I ran into what appears to be a cast side plate, which meant I had to settle with a bright satin finish. This about killed me as I had the barrel right where I wanted it… I did the cylinder right after this pic was taken.
View attachment 163482

Unfortunately, I worked on that frame for over an hour before I finally removed the side plate and flipped it over to discover it was some type of cast stainless. Disheartened as I was, I spent another hour trying to figure out how to fix what I had. I was able to get it to a near polish, a little better than a factory Smith, so I went with that on the frame and toned down the barrel and cylinder a touch. It’s not as bright as my polished S&W but it came as close as I’ll be able to get it with my skills.
View attachment 163483
View attachment 163484
They both look good. Nice job.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Philmo11, thanks for sharing. It's always fun to scroll through to see what the different members have. Wow a range day w you and ngashooter would be a great day. Of course, I'd rather it be a range weekend. 😎

21 - 40 of 42 Posts