Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had seen many times my GrandPaw slice off a big chew from the twist of CottonBowl chewing tobaco. I remember to this day pushing that big kitchen chair up there so I could slice me off some of that good tasting chew. I sliced off enough for sevral grown men I am sure. I then stuffed it all in my mouth and got off the chair pushed that chair back to where I had gotten it from and pro-seeded out to the fields as I was grown now all of 5 years old had my Barlow pocket knive and I swung that gate open prepared to work as hard and as long as the men folk did. Didn't quite make it passed the gate and it hit me in the back side as I was a fixen to spit. I swallowed it all, in a split second was green as a frog and sicker than a horse and thought I would die for sure. Stay that way for 3 days which seened like years to me.
I got over it and ya know ya would think that I would have never touched that stuff again. I have smoked pipes and cigars and now I chew leaf did a good bit of rubbin snuffy too. By the way that is how I got my nick name of Snuffy. Always had a rub in my mouth.
Just thought I would share that little tid bit of information with ya.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh, Snuffy, that's a great story! I had the same thing on my first cigarette. Being firstgrader at that time, I've tried it secretly in the one summer morning right before breakfast. Been all green and sick as you were. [xx(] Thanks for reminder pal. :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol we can get into some fixe's in our younger days lol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh, Snuffy, another one - my son at age of five tried beer left for a minute on the table. He was looking for lemonade and obviously got it. Geee... Even after ten years passed, he remembers that occasion clearly. Every time he sees me with a bottle, he tells me "Dad, how do you drink this disgusting thing?!" ;)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Good one Snuffy. I did the same but didn't need to have the gate to hit me in the backside to swallow. I didn't know you were suppose to spit! I puked for half a day. Haven't used the stuff since. Can't say the same for the ceegars and cigarettes though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Fine example you're setting for the younger lads on the forum. Not talking bout the life learnin', I'm refering to the fessin' up...:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol well now the truth is coming out who knows what stories will surfass now lol

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Good story Snuffy. Remember my first chew. About 7-8 yr old and went with my uncles to milk the cows. After they milked the cows one Uncle went across the pasture to the corn crib to feed the hogs. It was a hot summer afternoon, and about half way across the pasture he took a twist of Goodmoney out of his hip pocket and cut off a chew. He saw me looking and ask me if I wanted a chew. I said yes so he cut me off a little piece. As we walked to the corn crib I got it wet up good and was spitting and thought I was all grown up. We crawled up in the corn crib and stared shucking corn for the hogs and all of a sudden thing started spinning and before I could get down off the corn, I vomited all over the corn. That cured my hankering for chewing for a long time. Oh, for those childhood memories! :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I know and I wish more would share them with us. Even those that growed up in the city heck its a story about kids and the crazy stuff we did and we are still here. Ya'll come in and join the fun.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Muskogee Oklahoma, mid to late fifties. Neighbor lady left a square of Bull of the Woods chewing tobacco on her kitchen table. Being the curious sort of lad, I crept up to said kitchen table and sort of move the stuff around a bit.

Never did put any in my mouth though. For some reason the close resemblance to simi dried horse crap that was quite common on the road outside precluded me from giving it a try.

Later on, in the jungle, I picked up on King Edward cigars and Mixture 79 pipe tobacco. Both were freebies courtesy of Uncle Sam to us 11 Bush Beaters.

Personally I stuck with the pipe until three years ago.

Oh Well...;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Whew! Thank's for the stories Guy's! Up till now I thought I was the only stupid kid I knew! :D Well, except for my cousin & a couple of neighbor kid's, that is.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL Snuffy, that was priceless. :D

My baby girl just turned 5 a few days ago. Wonder if maybe I should get her a pocket knife and a can of chewing tobacco.

Oh my goodness, I can only imagine the consequences of that.

Things sure have changed since we were kids.

Skunk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quit smoking years ago then quit dipping, both were hard to do but the skoal was the hardest, still could start again especialy when Im doing a project.[XX(]

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh MY!!! Thanks for reminding me!

1970,just prior to me shipping out to RVN. Was at Ft. Benning, GA. doing another qualifying round with the M-16. A fellow student Grunt offered me a 'taste' of that Red Man stuff.

Things were fine for a few moments then it was our time to jump into the prepared foxholes to shoot.

The world spun and the next I knew I was looking up at the range NCO from the bottom of the hole. Of course he was laughing his head off, then he chewed my butt for being a klutz.

Still managed to shoot Expert, though I was a few points less than before.
:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good to here these stories, good reading and lots of laughs.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The grownups told me and my brother at about age 12 & 13 that if we smoked cornsilk we would get high. Of course we went into the cornfield and rolled us some up. Heads spinning, dizzy, vomiting, etc., they had a good laugh on us.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My sisters did that, now that was a site to see for sure. I just watched and glad I did too lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts