Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His range but I did say he might want to add a few more feet of dirt and some thicker ar500. He has 3/8” plates and this is a tree behind said target my hand is about 10” or so span. You can see the exit
Glove Gesture Terrestrial plant Thumb Sky

Natural environment Wood Organism Plant Petal

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
I have a .50, and it has to be shot to be believed. And with the .50, it’s more than just the bullet going down range, it’s the pressure wave that hits the shooter. I actually put a suppressor on mine in order to be a better neighbor to people I am sharing the range with. It doesn’t make it hearing safe, but brings it down to a tolerable level more akin to a magnum rifle.

However, I do have some concerns. Was this the guy’s first time shooting his .50? It doesn’t do him or anyone else any good to be destroying his plates or trees. In fact, it’s a bit reclouse and dangerous to be firing rounds that are not 100% contained. So, he had bullets going through his steel targets, his berm, and at least one tree. So, where did the bullet stop?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The round stopped in the berm at the end of the range. It was not an accident that it hit the tree after going through the plate, curiosity had to be sated.
The plates are old and beginning to crack, pit and bow so they are getting replaced soon. People think a 338 Lapua is big (and it is a hoss) until the 50 BMG comes out.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I'm seeing two photos and four big black squares. Is that right?

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
We used to do that a lot back in the 90’s but it was F/A……at $2.50 a shot it got expensive real quick. Good times.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Thank you, much better! I thought there might be other pics that didn't get through.

Unless you're into doing extreme long range shooting (and actually have a place to do it) I don't see the attraction of 50 BMG. There are plenty of more practical calibers that will still deafen you and dislocate your shoulder, for less $$$ too .........o_O

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Owning a .50 BMG has got to be awesome, but I have always wondered what the hell the practical use of it is, other than the fun of target shooting.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
It isn't practical for civilian use. I think we all can agree with that. Not useful for home defense, paper targets, or hunting. So only thing left is for fun (which is debatable) . Every once in a while we hear of someone shooting at our steel club targets with a .50 and punching holes and the word goes out to hopefully catch these guys to kick them out of the club. Same with shooting tungsten core .30 rounds into the steel....

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I remember a post I read where a guy had neighboring ranch land. The owner let him set up a range where he could actually shoot a mile and a half, with his BMG. Required an ATV to ride out and change targets ........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are fun but I don’t have the money to properly dress, care for and feed one. The usefulness of some of the guns I have might fall under the why category as well, but I wanted them and enjoy them. Some I plan to use for hunting but even if I don’t they are great range toys.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I see 50BMG rounds gathering dust at my LGS. Makes me think I'd like to shoot one once. But my shoulders can't take the beatings they once could and I don't have a local place to shoot them, so the thought passes ... with a wistful smile.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The wife and I got to shoot one a few weeks ago. She's just over 100lbs, and it was fun to see her in action with it. Ammo is really pricey for .50 BMG, but the guy who owned it let her shoot two rounds out of it. She actually enjoyed it and found the big slow push to have been pretty tolerable--more so than the snappier recoil of smaller rifles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts