Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SR556 Takedown and I bought a red dot, rail light, and Troy pro sling adapter. I was just wondering if you would use loctite on any of them? If I do, would I then not be able to move them around?
Thank gang. Every question I've asked on this forum has been answered with great care! I'm new to the gun world, but the media has lead me to believe gun owners were ravenous killers who were just waiting for the opportunity to wreak mayhem on society. They must be talking about the Glock forum? Haha

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Nice purchase! I would mount everything, torque it properly & see if it loosens.
If you use it, I would go with the blue removable kind.

The red is very hard to get loose & usually requires heat.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
822 Posts
I have an SR556 Takedown and I bought a red dot, rail light, and Troy pro sling adapter. I was just wondering if you would use loctite on any of them? If I do, would I then not be able to move them around?
Thank gang. Every question I've asked on this forum has been answered with great care! I'm new to the gun world, but the media has lead me to believe gun owners were ravenous killers who were just waiting for the opportunity to wreak mayhem on society. They must be talking about the Glock forum? Haha
You have to have 25 posts to get to the forums where we talk about shooting babies and kicking puppies around...:D

Definitely use the blue Loc-Tite on them. I've removed some of the stuff I've attached using blue Loc-Tite and it's not so tough.

I've heard the red is a bear to break loose, though. I'd say not to try it.

Welcome.

Aqualung

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
good advice, I vote either the blue or snitch a little of the old lady's clear nail polish. that will make a removable loc tite.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Purple Loctite works well on the smaller ( less than ¼ inch) screws. It is lower strength than the blue, but it holds well on scope mounts. Loctite #222

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Purple Loctite works well on the smaller ( less than ¼ inch) screws. It is lower strength than the blue, but it holds well on scope mounts. Loctite #222
That's what I use too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Something to keep in mind when using Loctite in areas that get hot with shooting, one or more of the Loctite's [and generic brands] are specifically designed to loosen with heat. I had a rail on a Marlin 795 keep coming loose until I realized what was happening.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,691 Posts
Any type of thread lock should be UNAUTHORIZED for non-gunsmiths. It always seems to find its way to non-intended parts and can be quite a task to remove a thread locked screw with out damaging it. For those people that choose not to follow this caution, don't come cryin' after you damage your gun.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Any type of thread lock should be UNAUTHORIZED for non-gunsmiths. It always seems to find its way to non-intended parts and can be quite a task to remove a thread locked screw with out damaging it. For those people that choose not to follow this caution, don't come cryin' after you damage your gun.
I hear you. I further suggest that manufacturers should also be unauthorized to use thread lock in all but the utmost compelling situations. My wife's Buckmark is difficult enough to breakdown, yet Browning has made it near impossible to remove the barrel, evidently because of some super-duty thread lock they used on the barrel set screw. Anybody interested in a set of Allen keys that have been "spiraled"? :mad:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I agree most of the time when lowegan speaks, however not everyone has a torque driver. But as was mentioned use just a bit of blue Loctite around the threaded screw, and be very aware where the excess goes and wipe it up immediately. You definitely don't want that stuff to set on the action that is intended to move smoothly.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I have to agree. I generally just re-check the torque after a couple shooting sessions. Then maybe every once in awhile out of curiosity. I've yet to have anything come loose. BUT, I'm also NOT switching and remounting accessories all the time either.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you think you must, just remember, a little dab will do ya.

And that goes for us old farts who remember Brylcream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loctite

Under no circumstance use red on a firearm. Use blue on screws that tend to loosen. I've not used purple, but have a lot of experience with blue. Make sure you have good gunsmith screwdrivers that fit to remove any blade or Philips screws that Loctite is applied to otherwise, you may mess up the screw head.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had to use Loctite on my grip panel screws on one of my guns. The frame is aluminum and you can't torque it enough to keep the screws from backing out without stripping the holes out. Used the blue, and used a very small amount. Just don't put a glob on there and be watchful for excess and wipe it off immediately and you should be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts