Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we always played cops and robbers, or cowboys and indians, or the biggest game which always got everyone in the neighborhood involved was war and all you needed was a stick for a Thompson machine gun or a carbine. Your fingers and hand was always there for a backup 1911. Diving behind dirt mounds, trees, garages, barns, etc, was always good for cover. Packed up clumps of dirt made great grenades.

Today or in the last forty years I haven't seen any kids playing any of the games. What the heaven has happened. It scares me to think that these generations today really have no affinity for the role of the warrior. I mean back then even the girls played war and if they didn't want to fight they would be the nurses and tend to the wounded.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yep, I remember all of that....we all occupied ourselves ALL summer long, dawn to dusk. Then
when it got dark we would catch fireflys, and catch nite crawlers etc. Kids nowadays.....?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That was sure fun back then. Them cap guns may have had mor metal in them back then some real guns built today. Hard to remember but i think my favorite was a steel snub revolver. Of course graduated to a daisy and a sling shot. Remember had a supply of ball bearings for the sling shot sure did make for long range artillary but out in the country i had plenty of room.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
In those days if ya had to stay in the house it was the end of the world. At least if ya got a whipping ya could still go outside, once I got a whippin and had to stay in the house, to me it was a death sentence. I dang sure walked the line after that one, made me stay in the house. There was grown ups there who wanted to be around them!And all because we was going to hang my sister she was the outlaw this time. I didn't like the knot so I retired the knot. I didn't realze it made the lenght shorter. Sorta streached her neck abit. Anyhow we didn't play hang man any more.
I shot my sister int he boob it was just a training bra any how with a wadd of mud that had dried in my pop gun. Mom made me leave it out all nite as it haver mud on it couldn't bring it in the house. To this day she still claims the right one is smaller because of that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Back then we had to have "imagination".... today it has to be "reality"..... look at all the "realistic" non working (firing) plastic, even metal "non firearms" that are being sold out there and they are NOT cheap either.... then they wonder why their "babies" get shot for pointing this "crap" at any police officer driving by.... stupid

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yes it is, I had a feild sgt once tell me the world has gotten meaner. I told him your right 28 years ago I started working for the prison system of Texas, there were only 16 units in the entire state now there is over 144. Yes I would say the world has gotten meaner and there is no turning bad to the old days, at least from where I am sitting there isn't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah Peace, I hear ya and agree totally--BUT
When you were a Kid did you know what a sexual predetor was, much less know that it was something you had to be on guard 24/7 for??
What was the radius away from your houise did you play?? Mine was a coupla miles easy thanks to the ol' Schwinn....Kids are snatched out of their own yards now....
Now you can't even let your kids go to the bathroom themselves in a public place or stray from your sight....Wierdos again the cause.
We had Imaginations-- nowadays kids have to be ENTERTAINED.
no GI Joes, toy guns, etc now-- gotta be lighted tennis shoes,Playstation, A DVD player, etc.
Our heroes were WWII vets-- now kids are taught that vets are baby killers, rapists, and sadists.Our country is the world's worst at treating it's vets right-- this shames me......
You watched a kids cartoon lately?? No Mighty Mouse, Popeye or Tom and Jerry. They watch Jap Animae,Spongebob Squarepants,and SCI FI stuff that takes a PHD to figure out.Nothing is simple or real anymore.
Kids Nowadays want to KILL each other when they get pissed.We just Punched each other silly, and a shiner or a bloody nose was the worst outcome.
Back then Parents and teachers Disciplined kids-- with belts and paddles.Now your kid can have you arrested for trying to get him raised with a sense of right and wrong.

Nah Peace, we were the last generation of "normal" kids.....[xx(][:0][V][B)]

·
Registered
343 Posts
quote:In those days if ya had to stay in the house it was the end of the world. At least if ya got a whipping ya could still go outside,
AMEN! We rode bikes ( baseball cards in the spokes for sound effect ) and went to the pool - grabbed our ball gloves and bats and went around the neighborhood until we got enough kids for a pickup game of baseball. We didn't have a diamond to go to, so we made our own. ( no one had batting helmets and a lot of times, if your wooden bat broke, you could tape it together and make it work ). If we couldn't get enough kids for baseball, we could at least play "hot box".
We built tree houses. Scrounging wood was always the hardest part and it seems like we never had new nails.... step one was always straightening old nails with a hammer on the sidewalk.
we would walk to the nearest stream and fish or catch crawdads... or just explore... catch field spiders... look for snakes or box turtles..
Usually, we only came home when hunger overtook us.
In the winter, we would grab our sleds after school and meet at the nearest "sledding hill" - you stayed out until it got dark, which in the winter, was just about dinner time. The only times I really remember running for home to watch TV was during the Apollo missions and for the World Series - remember when they played it in the afternoon??
*sigh* - Do kids even know what they're missing??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Been trapped in-doors with the rain quite a bit. An old Abbot and Costillo movie " Africa Screams" was on tv and the kids had never seen them before---laughed their tails off!
If they have to watch tv, i'd rather have them watch that than some of the weird things they call entertainment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was one of those mean old Dads that made his kids go without cable TV for most of their childhoods.
deputy125, if your kids liked Africa Screams, do them a favor and get these Abbott and Costello's ( as recommended by my children ) :

The Time of Their Lives
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein
Buck Privates
Hold That Ghost

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
My Son and Step-Daughter had TV's in their Bedrooms, and started letting it interfere with them getting their homework. We took all TV's out of the house until the Kids were through School. Don't think any of us missed a thing, and we enjoyed a lot more quality time together than if we had been watching TV. By the way, Granny and I still don't have a TV. We got Computers though. :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
mine have been wanting tv's in their rooms----oldest even offering to buy her own----i am firm on this as i believe only one idiot box allowed in the house! We gonna watch tv we are going to do it as a family.
Think i just might take you up on some of the old abbott and castillo movies and while i'm at it just might introduce them to some jerry lewis and bob hope also.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I had even forgotten about cap guns, and scrounging wood and unbending old nails(forts, tree houses, and carts), we used to scourge for old baby carriage wheels and bike frames. Man do I remember the long bike trips, fishing with whatever we could put together and using "pop n fresh" biscuit dough for bait. Such were the good old days. Things were very different, so I guess its up to us to make today the good old days for someone else. Flexible Flyers, I had to wait two or three Christmas' for one of those, yet I do remember the favorite sledding hills. Yeah, to have to stay in the house was like a death sentence. We did whatever chores we had to do and was gone until we got hungry. A tee shirt, dungarees, and keds was the uniform of the day. No such thing as pre washed, pre shrunk in those days. And no we never even heard the term sexual predators, and our radius for adventure was only limited by our ability to travel the distance and in the middle of the summer we could extend a major adventure over a few days by claiming to be sleeping over a friends house. Kinda like the movie "Stand By Me".
It was great to be a young American.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Those were fun times. All the kids in our neighborhood would get together almost daily in the summertime. Part of the thrill was being stealthy enough to not get detected by home owners when on other people's property.

Kids these days would rather veg in front of the TV or play video games.

We did some stupid things, too, like bicycle demolition derbies, but it was all in fun.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Now they play games on TV and 'puter. They're not hanging together on streets - too dangerous, they're not fighting each other at school - it's wrong. They are not doing anything we did because we simply said "no". What to expect? I dunno.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Every generation has changed the way they view recreation. My Dad used to tell me How fortunate I was to grow-up with-in walking distance of a creek,(fishing/swimming), or farmer's fields and orchards, (for hunting/mid-day meals). My Boys had "Atari and Pong", but could still walk to the creek to swim. They just didn't want to, neighbors had back-yard pools.

My Great nieces/nephews have lap-tops,X-Boxes, and cell phones. You can't get them out of the house unless one of their friends can borrow Mommies Lexus for a trip to the mall.

We all want to provide better for our young, than what we had. I just think that we tended to over-do it. Parents seem to have a really hard time when it comes to saying NO lately.

We all long for a long-ago simpler time, but we're the ones that helped to make today so complicated. I'll shut-up now and get another beer... :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Make it two, I'm ready to sip and rock a bit, myself...thinkin'
bout the good old days when Gina would start at one end of our street walkin' slow in those cut-off bluejeans...John'd call me, I'd call Bobby, he'd call Danny, he'd call Steve-she lived in the last house and wasn't in any danger of being molested by a stranger...it was her neighbors she had to worry about...but, ya know, she never looked a bit worried...had this tiny hint of a smile like she'd heard a joke...those were the days....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
You know when I reflect back on the good old days, I think that I would like to have the good but not bad that happened then. When I ask myself why, I realize that the modern conveniences is what makes life like it is today. We spoil ourselves, our children, have lost most morals, and love of our neighbor, and then wish it was like it was when we were kids. I guess what I am trying to say is, if we want to have the good things that we remember as a kid, we are going to have to do some sacrificing ourselves to get it. A good place for us old Farts to start is be a good example and show our Grandkids the right way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts