Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to carry either my P97 or P89 in the small of my back, owb. I want the barrel to be parallel with my belt, and the grip pointing up. Anyone know where I can find a holster for either or both of the pistols?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well, following your signature line...don't carry like that....if you're knocked onto it you can seriously injure your spine...if you're sitting in the car, you have no chance, if you're pushed into a wall...no chance...S.O.B. is an S.O.B. unless you're standing free and easy....looks hip on TV but not a good carry...and that's fact!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't see myself using a IWB holster, and the only other holster I have now for the semi autos is a fobus belt holster for the P89 that I wear at my 4:30. I'm on my feet all day at work, and when I'm in my truck, I keep another pistol in my center console.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
They sell 'em, they wear 'em...I wear only IWB but I wear it on the belly...pocket T out....and crawl under and up into houses and am very active(for an old guy) all day...it's comfy, stays when I pull my coat off, accessible from any position, and doesn't put my back at risk...that's just my obnoxious, ex-TO old fart opinion...I'd hate to see you hurt or not able to get to it.....fine young men are scarce these days....do whatchagotta do...and be safe....

Don Hume Leathergoods has excellent inexpensive holsters for every type of carry...been happy with them since the 70s...online catalog and real friendly Customer Service...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I've tried them all, and have the holsters to prove it. The IWB is the most comfortable and best for me. Whatever method you use, a good holster makes a lot of difference. Custom made holsters cost more, but are usually a lot more comfortable. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to carry a full size 1911 in a SOB holster, and it got in the way more often than not. Walking around with it was fine, but sitting down was awkward. Sometimes the gun would catch on the chair if it wasn't a full-back style.

If you decide you really do want one, I have purchased a couple of holsters from these people and really like their work, prices, and promptness. Here's a direct link to their SOB.

http://www.shado.com/merchant/merch...Screen=PROD&Product_Code=122&Category_Code=CH

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.....with a IWB holster, how much larger do your pants need to be? I'm assuming that another 2 inches would accomodate? I wear a size 34 right now. Is there a way to know, or do you need to take the gun with you and try pants on at the store?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
If you wear 34's now you will need 36's for IWB carry. I recommend you get the cheapest holster you can to try the means of carry, and when you find what works best for you, then get a real good holster. It will make whatever means you use a lot more comfortable. There's no way of knowing what you will like best until you try it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Calvin!!! I'm looking at getting a Don Hume H715-MCW. It will fit both my P89 and P97.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will leave some feedback on my m7x matrix and belt i just ordered from Galco once i get them . I own and will be carrying my p97 at or around the 3o'clock position it is a plastic type holster and is owb . i wear t-shirts most of the time so i will let u know how it does and post pics once i get it .

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I can only add that I carried a Taurus 9mm for a couple of months in a SOB, and hated it...hard to get to, would print really bad if I wasn't standing completely straight, and frankly was just uncomfortable. Switched to an SP101 in a IWB and now that I've switched to my Kahr, a have a Don Hume IWB. Carried it for about 7 hrs., yesterday and was very comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts