Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my first handgun this Monday, a silver Ruger Wrangler and I'm loving it, but I'd like to get a spare cylinder and can't seem to find them being sold anywhere. I've found plenty of reasonably priced single six cylinders but I've heard some say it will work and others say it won't, keep in mind I'm not necessarily meaning the .22 magnum cylinders, though that would also be nice I'm just looking for a .22 lr cylinder. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a couple reasons. First of all I'd just like to have a backup Incase anything happens to the other (I have bad luck) and second of all it's very fast to swap out the cylinder on the wrangler so I'd like to be able to carry another loaded cylinder with me while I'm shooting just like a spare magazine

·
Registered
175 Posts
I understand, but it's not that simple. A new cylinder would have to be fitted and timed. It's not the same as dropping a magazine, then inserting another. I have a single 6 made in 1958. Still has the original cylinder. I don't think it will ever need to be replaced.

·
Administrator
22,777 Posts
Just buy a spare Wrangler. They are cheap enough. That way you will have all the spare parts, not just the cylinder.
I think that is the best answer a Brooklyn reload.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
572 Posts
I understand, but it's not that simple. A new cylinder would have to be fitted and timed. It's not the same as dropping a magazine, then inserting another. I have a single 6 made in 1958. Still has the original cylinder. I don't think it will ever need to be replaced.
While I agree with you that this is what Ruger states, is it really true? A lot of people purchase cylinders for those single sixes and drop them in without issue. I doubt that there is any hand fitting going on in the Wrangler at the price point it sells at. Also, Heritage sells spare cylinders for their Rough Rider line as drop in replacements for their SA revolvers without any fitting so it seems to be more of a Ruger liability CYA thing to me.

OP, sorry no help here. If you want a spare cylinder, you will probably have to find a Wrangler that has been beaten to death and trashed as Ruger does not sell them separately. Or as someone else suggested, purchase another Wrangler.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Just buy a spare Wrangler. They are cheap enough...
+1 . Yesterday I saw two of them in the store....

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you’re interested in speed reloads, perhaps single action revolvers are not such a good idea, unless you look at early S&W or Webly break open models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a spare 22 Mag cylinder for my Single-Six after I thought I had lost my original. Got it online from an individual and it fit my gun just fine… no issues. Later I found my original cylinder and sold the extra one to a fellow for his Wrangler. It fit his without any problems. Just lucky or is it consistent factory specs?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Carry an extra loaded cylinder? That pretty well negates any advantage to having the extra cylinder. You must devise some way to keep the cartridges secure in the cylinder while carrying it. Then you would have to strip it off when inserting the auxiliary cylinder.

Tape them in with duct tape? Stripping off the tape will likely pull out some, if not all, of the loaded rounds. Maybe a speed loader? Remove cylinder and load with the speed loader? Nah!

Clint Eastwood was able to reload with the extra because the script said he could.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just buy a spare Wrangler. They are cheap enough. That way you will have all the spare parts, not just the cylinder.
Well, actually I'm fourteen and I'm not sure how my mother would feel about getting another one a week later, also I wouldn't be able to do that for a month anyways as in Virginia unless you have a concealed carry permit, which my mother does not, you can only buy one handgun per month

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you really think you need to reload a SA revolver quickly ...
get pretty much any single column rifle/pistol magazine, eject the fired brass and feed fresh round from the mag into the cylinder.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
SAALover6 First I like to welcome you to the forum, secondly I would suggest you save your money for ammo and another gun or two or twenty. I have a Single Six with both LR and magnum cylinders, I bought this back in 1976 and haven't managed to lose them yet. If you keep the cylinder in the gun where it belongs and only take it out to clean after firing the gun you should be fine. If your mom buys you a gun 14 she is great and be sure to take care of her and help her out around the house as much as you can.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
...save your money for ammo...
I agree. You certainly don't need a spare cylinder. Just enjoy the Wrangler for what it is. You are not going to wear it out (or lose any parts). I never did and I started shooting back in the 70s or so....

·
Registered
588 Posts
"Clint Eastwood was able to reload with the extra because the script said he could."
He was shooting black powder revolvers, much easier to carry extra cylinders fully loaded!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree. You certainly don't need a spare cylinder. Just enjoy the Wrangler for what it is. You are not going to wear it out (or lose any parts). I never did and I started shooting back in the 70s or so....
I agree. The only cylinders that have been lost are those extra cylinders on the Single Sixes that shipped with both the .22lr and the .22 magnum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought a spare 22 Mag cylinder for my Single-Six after I thought I had lost my original. Got it online from an individual and it fit my gun just fine… no issues. Later I found my original cylinder and sold the extra one to a fellow for his Wrangler. It fit his without any problems. Just lucky or is it consistent factory specs?
In
SAALover6 First I like to welcome you to the forum, secondly I would suggest you save your money for ammo and another gun or two or twenty. I have a Single Six with both LR and magnum cylinders, I bought this back in 1976 and haven't managed to lose them yet. If you keep the cylinder in the gun where it belongs and only take it out to clean after firing the gun you should be fine. If your mom buys you a gun 14 she is great and be sure to take care of her and help her out around the house as much as you can.
Yeah you're probably right, I think I'll just save a couple paychecks and see if I can't get a single six or vaquero. thankyou!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts