Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least once a month, I read somewhere - in a gun magazine or on a gun forum - about how wearing "tacticool" clothing or one of those "shoot me first" concealment vests makes us a target for the bad guys. The general idea is that the bad guys, seeing someone wearing cargo pants, a concealment vest, a fanny pack holster or - God forbid! - an openly carried sidearm, will open their armed robbery by shooting the person(s) committing that particular fashion faux pas.

However, in my admittedly limited experience, most of the folks who commit armed robberies are not the most observant of folks. To illustrate my point, let me describe a case that happened in a nearby city:

A few weeks ago, around ten o'clock in the evening, a young man wearing a bandana over his face and brandishing a handgun pushed his way between the people waiting in line at a convenience store and announced his intention to rob the place.

The surveillance video very clearly shows the amazed and puzzled look on the face of the clerk, who looked at the two men at the head of the line as if he expected them to do something. And "do something" they did - they grabbed the robber's arms, wrestled him to the floor and put him in handcuffs.

What the video also clearly shows is that the two men at the head of the line - who the robber pushed aside as he strode to the counter - were uniformed police officers who had the word "POLICE" printed on the back of their jackets in white block letters.

In conclusion - while it is possible that a criminal will spot an armed citizen because of a telltale bulge or a "tacticool" concealment vest, the probability of that happening is very low. If they don't notice uniformed police officers - and this is not an isolated occurrence - they probably won't notice a discreetly armed citizen.

Jim

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Remember to spay and neuter your idiot criminals!

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cure for low IQ
Remember to spay and neuter your idiot criminals!

While it's easy to label these folks as "idiots", it's not uncommon to hear reports of robbers failing to notice uniformed police officers in plain sight. When I was living in Chicago, one robber tried to hold up a café that was popular with police - he walked in past four marked cars parked on the street in front of the café and six uniformed officers sitting at the counter, pulled out a gun and said "Give me all your money!"

I suspect that they are just so hyped up - so focused on the clerk and the cash register - that they don't really see what's right in front of them.

Jim

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's like the video of the people passing the basketball. They tell you to count how many times one team passes, and you don't notice the black bear walk across the room.

Tunnel vision is a real thing, and it happens to the best of us when we get the heart going. Put some people through drills where they react to threats with paintball guns. After the first scenario, you go in with very intention to spot and focus only on the guy with the face mask on (eye protection) and fail to notice he is a cop. Add all tht together with complete desperation of the criminal, and they are bound to not notice details no matter how smart they are. If they do notice the details, you could very well be in trouble because that means they are experienced, and probably a lot more experienced than you are.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
The "robber" had "focused" on his mark. :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
This story gave me a big grin!:D

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man this perp is way way stupid!!! Must be on a steady diet of dumb pills!!!:rolleyes:
Fortunately, most criminals are pretty dumb...or impulsive, which works out to about the same result. The smart ones that aren't impulsive are the hardest to catch.

Jim

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I remember the guy that attempted to rob a bank across the street from a Fed. building, it was payday and the FBI agents were all in line to cash there checks, it did not go well for him.

·
Super Moderator
21,728 Posts
Another moron getting 3 squares and a cot for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
In my hometown there were two guys passing bad checks written with disappearing ink.
Problem was, their name and address were stamped on the checks!

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
For a long time I've been asking whether they are stupid from birth, regardless of color, sex, or anything else, that they are just predetermined to show how stupid they really are? And that they are just a felon just waiting to get caught?

Or is it the environment that saps any amount of intelligence that they had when they were born?

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Illiteracy

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Talk about tunnel vision. Thankfully, most criminals are extremely stupid.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my hometown there were two guys passing bad checks written with disappearing ink.
Problem was, their name and address were stamped on the checks!
I read about a bank robbery where the robber wrote his note on a deposit slip...from his own account!

For a long time I've been asking whether they are stupid from birth, regardless of color, sex, or anything else, that they are just predetermined to show how stupid they really are? And that they are just a felon just waiting to get caught?

Or is it the environment that saps any amount of intelligence that they had when they were born?

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!
What I've seen in over thirty years of medicine is that there are certain people who have a very hard time predicting the likely outcome of their choices and also cannot control their impulses very well. These folks tend to be "over-represented" in the criminal class (also in the emergency room). It appears to be a problem with frontal lobe development, since both foresight (the ability to predict the likely course of events) and self-control are frontal lobe functions.

This suggests that the problem may be at least partially genetic, which would explain why so often "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts