Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it's been Florida for many years but I do like to travel to other places when I can. Ft. Myers, Florida has always been a favorite spot as well as down in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The majestic beauty of South Dakota, Montana and parts of Wyoming are appealing to me as well. If I ever win the powerball I'll be getting a second home in Montana at the foot of the Rockies. So where is it you go to vacation or at least get a little down time when needed? :)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
My Ranch. I intend to stay there from Apr. 15th to about the 1st of Dec. and Hunt, Fish, Shoot, and enjoy the Wildlife all Summer. Will still check the Board though. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anywhere but here.:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Man I am SOOOOO jealous of you Song Dawg:D

·
Banned
282 Posts
Since retiring we've discovered cruising. We pretty much don't care where we go, so long as it's aboard a big shiny ship with lots of hired help.

We've been on six so far;

Alaska (twice):)

Mexico (don't care if we ever go back):(

The Left Coast from Seattle to L.A.

A 3 day party cruise, from Vancouver B.C, to Seattle, and back to Canada.

Europe (England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Norway and Amsterdam) :cool:

The next one is still in the planning stage.

Our most recent cruise, our return to Alaska last summer, I got a bit of a surprise. Although I thought I knew the answer, I had to ask anyway. I contacted the cruise line (Holland America) security department about taking a firearm onboard. I thought there would be no way in heck. To my amazement I was told that I could bring one along, but must check it in with the security officer onboard. While in port, I could check it out to take with me ashore, and leave it with security when coming back onboard. That was possible in that case because we were going ashore in the United States.
Had we landed at a foreign port, no way Jose.

At Stirling Castle, Scotland.....

Normandy....

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
We take 3 or 4 "get-aways" a year, most of the time its just packing up and heading to the mountains for a few days to places like Helen, Ga (A German themed town), or like Gatlinburg, TN. For anything major (week or more) we go south to Florida. We have a lot of relatives and friends in Florida so it's almost always a social event. Today we just got back from Orlando, FL, where we spent a week.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Arizona desert. As far from civilization as I can get.

Joe

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My wife is from Italy so every year our vacation is visiting my wife's sister and mom and dad on the coast of Italy.
There are times when I would like to travel here in the USA but then again guided tours of Italy by locals cannot be beat :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
For the most part, I like to ski. I head up to Vermont at least four times a year to ski. I go midweek so as not to deal with the crowds. Skiing is much better during the week than on weekends.
I did go to Egypt least year. Nine days and seven of those days was cruising down the Nile to each stop along the way. The boat was great and the food was diverse but always included standards. The sights were more impressive than I expected and the whole trip was incredable.
Before that I went to Iceland. Very interesting place. My brother was stationed there so I went to visit him there.
Another couple of years and I will go to another country. But for now I look foward to my annual camping trip. Have not pick my spot yet but it will most likely be Virginia, maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The small Greek islands are fantastic. I have been there a lot of times and can really recommend them. But of course, I live in Europe and can reach them in 4 hours by plane.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The best unwind vacation we ever did was 2 years ago when we told everyone, including the kids and grandkids, that were were going out of town then just stayed home and did nothing!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We just returned from a favorite get away as most of you know, again we went to Hawaii. First enjoying 10 days on the Island of Maui, and then spent the rest of the time over on the Big Island staying in Kona.

Well, this time was just too long of a stay, and even though it was a vacation of a lifetime we have been there now 3X since 2000.

The wife and I, decided that if we return it will be just the two of us, as it just wears on you a bit for a long vacation over there when your there even with friends. It sure made me glad to get home and get fixed back on Montana.

Nice place to visit, but we just don't want to live there as we had been planning to for retirement......

For those wanting to know about VOG and what it is: http://www.konaweb.com/vog/index.shtml

·
Registered
421 Posts
I use to go to Vegas a lot and shoot in the desert. I own a few guns out there. Traveling to great spots outside of Vegas with Vegas as a home base. Haven't been in a while due to one son being very sick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The wife wants to go somewhere about once a year, Fla, Vegas etc. but we have a vacation home at Lake Cumberland, Ky and we spend about every other week there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like it here in Ga pretty good. My best friend just bought a farm in near Staunton, Va, (near where I used to live). We visited there a few weeks ago and while I was there, on a hillside on his farm I could feel peace just wash over me. I know I belong on a farm.
Though at times I like a quiet beach and at times a secluded spot in the mountains.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We have a boat I just put in last weekend for the summer, a 25 foot Parker for the ocean.

Non-boating season, I go to two local sportsman's clubs.

We take in NASCAR races in NH too.

Dana

1 - 20 of 23 Posts