Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bough a Ruger model 5889 Mini-14 and I was wondering if any websites sell OEM or OEM quality barrels for it. I want some insurance if I ever shoot out the original barrel. I don't want those old pre 580 barrels where it'll be inaccurate.

I've already searched on google for the first few pages, all I could fine is pre-580 barrels and super expensive custom ones for 800 dollars.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
ASI in Byers, Colorado puts aftermarket heavy barrels on Minis for customers. They save the factory barrels they take off, and they call them "take off" barrels. Call and ask them if they have any. ASI is proud of their stuff though, it will cost you more than what Ruger would charge. But Ruger, for liability reasons, will not sell you a barrel.

ASI would be your best bet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe try starting your thread with something like....ive exhausted google, my club, and lgs....and I still need some assistance.

Seems like A LOT of recent new member posts just EXPECT an IMMEDIATE answer. If not, instant name calling. I don't get it.

Best of luck to you, sincerely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ASI in Byers, Colorado puts aftermarket heavy barrels on Minis for customers. They save the factory barrels they take off, and they call them "take off" barrels. Call and ask them if they have any. ASI is proud of their stuff though, it will cost you more than what Ruger would charge. But Ruger, for liability reasons, will not sell you a barrel.
Yep, I found it, although they are very expensive. We'll see.

I've also seen them pop up on eBay and Gun broker on occasions.
Yep, I can confirm, thanks to your recommendation I found some on ebay although I'm wondering why there aren't any brand new spare parts anywhere. At least with my experience with browning, you could always find OEM barrels and other parts for their hi powers, I wish it was the same in this situation. It seems you can also find 10/22 barrels and parts on their store.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Many guns like 10-22s and most pistols can have the barrels easily changed and are a drop in fit.
Not so with Minis. There are many operations to ensure the barrel bolt and receiver are in sync.
That's why Ruger won't sell any, so there are very few available, only from places like ASI, or someone that parts out a Mini and then sells the parts on places like E-Bay.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah smartass I looked it up and couldn't find any
Listen 'newbie'. When you come new to a forum and ask 'where to find . . . ' without any indication that you bothered to look, then the appropriate response should be to direct you to Google to do your own searching first as there a countless examples of people too lazy to look for themselves.

Your smartass, snap response demonstrates to me that you're not worth helping even though good people like Sandog did anyway. Then your edit to your original post to hide the fact that you didn't mention you'd already searched before asking here is sort of CS in my book.

But hey, you're the guy who needs help, I don't, so you can find your own way. But, you might consider a saying a good friend of mine shared with me some 42 years ago. "It's not a good idea to smack someone up side the head with a 2x4 to get their attention, to ask them a favor."

Maybe you should give that some thought yourself.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
We try to help people here, but at times like CoSteve, I tire of the same questions every month about "Why doesn't my Mini-30 shoot steel case ?", "Can my Mini-14 safely shoot 5.56mm ?", 'Will an Accustrut help my Mini ?, etc.
There are lots of threads on those subjects if people would look.

CoSteve has helped people on this forum and others as much as anyone. Sorry Userman, if sometimes we lose patience, I've done it too at times.
As to keeping a spare barrel on hand, I've never heard of anyone that has shot out the barrel on their Mini.
It will still be going strong for your Grandkids. They are hammer forged and made of good steel.
I'd get a spare firing pin, extractor, and for an older high mileage Mini, a new recoil spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CoSteve has helped people on this forum and others as much as anyone. Sorry Userman, if sometimes we lose patience, I've done it too at times.
As to keeping a spare barrel on hand, I've never heard of anyone that has shot out the barrel on their Mini.
It will still be going strong for your Grandkids. They are hammer forged and made of good steel.
I'd get a spare firing pin, extractor, and for an older high mileage Mini, a new recoil spring.
Thank you for all the information and advice. I am also aiming for the ideal of my firearms lasting generations after me. I hope you wouldn't mind, but do you know exactly what has to be done to install a new barrel? I'm used to just dropping in a new barrel in most guns I've had.
Your smartass, snap response demonstrates to me that you're not worth helping even though good people like Sandog did anyway. Then your edit to your original post to hide the fact that you didn't mention you'd already searched before asking here is sort of CS in my book.
Look man, don't take it so personally. I edited it to ensure everyone knew I searched the usual channels. I was just mildly annoyed by your response because "You ever heard of google" is clearly a facetious, sarcastic remark. I treated you how you treated me.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is a fairly current thread on perfectunion from a guy that inherited a fairly rare Mini chambered in .222 Remington from his father. He seemed determined to have it rebarreled to .223 so he could use more common 5.56mm/.223 ammo in it.
Several guys were trying to talk him out of it, as he would be altering a scarce Mini, and that he should sell it (worth $1300 to $1800) and buy a .5.56mm Mini and have lots of money left over to buy ammo.
(Not that there is any to be had these days)
He said he wanted to do the work himself, and thought it would be an easy barrel swap.
In replies #38 and #43, he is told some of the steps needed to change a barrel on a Mini.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I dont even understand why you need a back up barrel as these barrels last forever unless you do something stupid messing it up. Just shoot it and keep it clean and lubed and she will purr! They are very accurate too more so next to my AR's but I grab my Mini first every dang time! Instead wasting money on needless BS go buy some good ammo in 60-62gr. preferably flat based bullets!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont even understand why you need a back up barrel as these barrels last forever unless you do something stupid messing it up. Just shoot it and keep it clean and lubed and she will purr! They are very accurate too more so next to my AR's but I grab my Mini first every dang time! Instead wasting money on needless BS go buy some good ammo in 60-62gr. preferably flat based bullets!
Don't barrels lose accuracy around 15k rounds and become smoothbore around 30k rounds? Are ruger barrels unique in that they don't wear out like other barrels?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
If you get to the point where you ever fired 30k rounds, or even 15k rounds, the cost of a new barrel, or even the cost of a whole new Mini, will be inconsequential.
At todays prices, with shipping, 1,000 rounds is around $300. That is for steel case like Golden Tiger or Red Army.
For brass case like PPU, more like $500-$600 per thousand.
So, at $300 per, 15k rounds is $4,500, 30k would be $9,000.
30k of brass case, closer to $18,000.

The last 8 years, I have fired about 1700 rounds out of my Minis. I probably won't live long enough to fire 5k, much less 15k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for all the information and advice. I am also aiming for the ideal of my firearms lasting generations after me. I hope you wouldn't mind, but do you know exactly what has to be done to install a new barrel? I'm used to just dropping in a new barrel in most guns I've had.
Good luck with "just dropping in" a new barrel for a Mini 14. I hope you are a master gunsmith that knows how to fit parts together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts