Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new LC9s pro and also a CZ 75BD. I have approx. 600 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ and recently acquired 1000 rounds of Federal 9BP Classic JHP. I also have a box of Critical Duty and a box of Critical Defense.

I've read that it is very important to practice with the rounds you carry for self defense, both to ensure you (the shooter) are familiar with how the SD rounds operate in real life, and also to ensure that the SD rounds feed ok thru the pistol.

The problem is that I can't afford to practice with the premium $1 per round SD stuff. Should I just practice and use the Federal 9BP JHP even though they are not as good as the premium rounds (like the Federal HST / Speer gold dot)? Or should I use the Blazer FMJ and 9BP for practice and just buy the good SD for carry?

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
SD is expensive, but the information you received is correct. Isn't your life or your family's life worth a couple boxes of SD ammo?

At the bare minimum practice with at least one magazine of the SD ammo. You'll still have plenty left over for SD use.

Golden Saber is one of the better buys out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I usually practice with Monarch in Brass JHP or FMJ in 115 gr. Occasionally I shoot 124gr when available. I keep Hornady 124 gr. loaded . Won't hurt to shoot a few Hornady but I don't see it necessary to only shoot high $$ ammo unless you can afford it all the time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 9s has fired everything that I have loaded in it. I practice with inexpensive stuff and fire about 2 boxes of SD ammo for each gun that I have each year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I usually shoot Federal aluminum case ball ammo from Walmart for $10/50rnds in 9mm.

But all my self defense ammo is Hornady Critical Defense.........in my LCP, LC9s, SR9c, and SR1911.

Steve

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi WWG456, welcome to the forum.

We shoot Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ for practice and load up Speer 124gr GDHP standard pressure LE ammo for SD. Check out SGAmmo or Target Sports USA for some good bulk sale prices on the TMJ ammo.

One of our 4 mags gets filled with the GDHP ammo when going to the range.

Good luck and stay safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts