Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for personal protection ammo. Im new to pistols still so I take it I would be looking for hollow points correct? Ive been firing countless winchester target rounds at my range and now I need to purchase some defense/carry rounds.

I see hornady critical defense and federal premium come up alot.

My main question is grain weight it states its available from 135 grain to 180 grain. What does that mean?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The projectile (bullet) is measured in grains. Grains are a unit of weight. There are 7000 grains in a pound (16oz). Basically, the more grain weight, the slower the projectile, but the more "punch" the bullet has.

I personally use Federal HST 180gr JHP for my defense ammo. I have seen a lot of ballistics videos and I just like the expansion of the round without breaking up.

I would be a little hesitant (my personal feelings) about using Hornady Critical Duty as it has more penetrating power than most and I would be afraid of it passing THROUGH the BG and hitting some innocent bystander. Hornady Critical Defense would be ok I guess if it weren't so stinkin' expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts