Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys as the title states I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle 188 series with the pencil thin barrel. This rifle has never given me any trouble at all it has a low round count as well. I have had my Mini 14 for 7-8 years I recently installed a nice original Redfield Widefield 2-7x32 scope that I bought used from a older gentleman several months ago. This scope appears to be in excellent condition as well. Now that I have already bought my Christmas present also a Ruger! After the first of the year I want to do some very minor modifications on this rifle. I want to install a Barrel Strut to help with the accuracy with my rifle. Now with peep sights the last time I shot this rifle I was hitting milk jugs from 50-100 yards with no problem. I just know that these pencil thin barrels are known to string out the groups so the accuracy is not the best. I am just hoping to say try and get some decent groups at 100 yards say 2-3 inch's. Now a couple more questions to throw out there I cannot recall the brand of barrel struts I have been looking at but there are two models that I saw & liked that are stainless steel. One is a solid barrel strut while the other one to save roughly a ounce of weight has holes drilled thru it. Not sure which one to get?? Weight is a factor for me to some extent your help and suggestions much appreciated thank your!!!:D

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I put a 6" "Accu-Strut" on my 186 Series, and it really stopped the stringing, I do believe you just have to get on accustrut.com and I'm sure they have the stainless steel model also. The one thing you want to do make sure you dimple the area where the strut attaches to just below the gas port system, and use just a dab of blue Loctite. I do believe the company does provide a small tube of Loctite with the delivered package, and excellent instructions.

·
Exalted One
1,739 Posts
The two 6" AccuStruts are:
6' LT (solid)
6" X-Drill

Both work well as a barrel stabilizer and heat sink to dissipate heat, the X-Drill probably more so. The LT is easier to keep clean, though...

There is also a shorter SOCOM AccuStrut, which looks nice, but will be less effective for your pencil barrel.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I can say for sure that the Accu Strut stopped the stringing on my 185 series. Get the full size one, not the SOCOM model.

20 rounds in about 90 seconds. Using a non magnified red dot, so don't laugh.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Both the Accustrut and Mo-Rod work about the same, but the clamps on the Mo-Rod are kind of ugly, IMO. As an added bonus, the color of the silver Accustrut is an almost perfect match to the stainless of a Mini. As others have said, get the longer strut, not the Socom. I use the Socom on my older Mini -30's, but they have a fatter .625" barrel. For the .560" barrel like your 188 series, the longer LT or X-Drill will help more. And do the "dimple option". Kevin, the designer of the Accustrut, has found that dimpling the gas block so the set screws can dig in, helps the strut do it's job better.

·
Registered
488 Posts
jmo, but a 2-clamp accu-strut is my choice. as mentioned, the match in stainless is SPOT ON....looks like it came from the factory.

just fyi, i never dimpled my gas block....the provided loctite has kept mine in place for over a thousand rounds. i'm sure however, that dimpling the gas block makes it rock soild.

i think you will be very happy with this strut on that thin barrel. it should help noticeably. imo, it will look good as well.

Hi guys as the title states I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle 188 series with the pencil thin barrel. This rifle has never given me any trouble at all it has a low round count as well. I have had my Mini 14 for 7-8 years I recently installed a nice original Redfield Widefield 2-7x32 scope that I bought used from a older gentleman several months ago. This scope appears to be in excellent condition as well. Now that I have already bought my Christmas present also a Ruger! After the first of the year I want to do some very minor modifications on this rifle. I want to install a Barrel Strut to help with the accuracy with my rifle. Now with peep sights the last time I shot this rifle I was hitting milk jugs from 50-100 yards with no problem. I just know that these pencil thin barrels are known to string out the groups so the accuracy is not the best. I am just hoping to say try and get some decent groups at 100 yards say 2-3 inch's. Now a couple more questions to throw out there I cannot recall the brand of barrel struts I have been looking at but there are two models that I saw & liked that are stainless steel. One is a solid barrel strut while the other one to save roughly a ounce of weight has holes drilled thru it. Not sure which one to get?? Weight is a factor for me to some extent your help and suggestions much appreciated thank your!!!:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same questions as you a few weeks ago for my Series 182. The guys here talked me into the 6" Accu-strut. I had it installed and took my mini out last week. I was only able to shoot it at 50 yards, but the groupings were at less than 1/2"!

I'll be taking my mini out today and shooting it at 100 yards. I'll report on how it goes.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loose Noose I like the looks of your Mini 14 is yours the Ranch Rifle version?? Also what type brand of aftermarket gunstock do you have on it I noticed the recoil pad on it!!!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Accu-Strut, Mo Rod, or Trueshot Technology Stabilizer??

Ok guys going to throw out some more questions here. First I see three barrel stabilizer's out there Accu-Strut, Mo Rod, & Trueshot Technologies barrel stabilizer as well. The Accu-Strut clamps seem to work but don't contact as much of the barrel vs the Mo Rod Clamps or the True Shot Clamps. Then you use Loc Tite on the Accu-Strut barrel clamps & have to make a small indentation mark with a drill bit into the gas block. Different instructions with the Mo Rod no Loc Tite on the barrel clamps just Loc Tite on the two screws that fasten the stabilizer rod to the Gas Block. Now with the True Shot Barrel Stabilizer it looks very similar to the Mo Rod barrel stabilzer. The Accu-Strut & the Mo Rod for my Stainless Mini 14 these two run from $94.00-$109.00 each. The True Shot Barrel Stabilizer unit runs much cheaper at $59.00!!! In either black or stainless, have any of you guys tried the True Shot Technologiy Barrel Stabilizer?? Because $59.00 seems much easier to dig up vs the $94-$109.00 price for a Mo Rod or Accu-Strut unit!!! My main objective is to get the best bang for my dollars spent. The nicest color match for my Stainless Steel Mini 14 to me is the Accu-Strut unit the Mo Rod & the Trure Shot barrel Stabilizer silver units don't seem to match up color wise as nice compared to the Accu-Strut. I personally like the Accu-Strut X Drill unit the best for looks but I want the unit that works the best. So if the True Shot Tech. Unit works as well vs Accu-Strut or Mo Rod no brainer go with the True Shot Tecn unit. Ok I have gone on now quite a bit but tried my best to bring up what I could see with all three barrel stabilizers your help & suggestions very much appreciated!!!:D;)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Gqucool, The stock is an over molded Choate stock, I used a ATI AR-15 sling adaptor, by drilling a small hole in the center of the of the forearm, note they have an aluminum base that has to be raised slightly, and the lightly contoured plate will slide right in. Once the sling swivel is tightened back up it is secure. (very simple process actually) Personally I prefer the Accu-Strut as it makes it look more like the military M-14, The other one you mentioned I'm not familiar with (the one for $59.95). I do know the Accu-Strut works as advertised. My rifle is the standard model Mini-14, not the Ranch Model, I used the scope mount I got from Brownell's where you have to remove the rear sight assembly, and mounted a 2X7 Vortex scope.

Varminthunter, Hopefully I answered all your questions also, I tell ya it is deadly on coyotes out to 150 yards or so, and that mount is rock solid hard, thanks to a bit of blue Loctite. Well over 250 rounds thru it since it was installed.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I went with the Mo Rod on mine because I like the clamps better and price was a little lower than the Accu Strut. I do like the looks of the Accu Strut rod better, but can't see where it would work any better.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TMB thats one reason I did some searching and came up with the True Shot Technologies Mini 14 Barrel stabilizer looks just like the Mo Rod but only $59.00!! I wished someone could chime in on the True Shot Tech. Barrel stabilizer unit they also sell the front sight assembly as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts