Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't reload yet and have been shooting black hills cowboy ammo in my New Vaquero, just wondering what everyone else shoots in theirs? What factory ammo would you recommend?

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,937 Posts
Are you shooting competitive CAS? Those slow cowboy loads are required for the game, but if you're plinking or paper punching your New Vaquero will shoot any SAAMI spec .45 Colt load. Do the Black Hills loads hit to point of aim? My Vaquero hits low and left with 200gr Cowboy loads, but puts Federal's std pressure 225gr lead HP right on the sights at 15yds. I don't shoot Cowboy Action, but instead use my Vaquero as a trail gun. I prefer to use the ammo that hits where I aim, instead of modifying the gun to shoot a particular load. I find shooting the 225/250gr loads @850fps more satisfying than shooting the pipsqueak cowboy loads. I haven't shot any of the Tier ll loads from Buffalo Bore, Garret, or Double Tap. I shoot a .44mag when I want big power, and reserve my .45's for softer shooting "fun" loads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more of a trail gun, I don't shoot competitive. The blackhills bullets I have are the 250gr RNFP (advertised velocity is 725 fps) I usually have blazer 200-220? gr JHP when I'm in the woods

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have shot cheap russian steel case and white box range ammo in mine. all good. my problem is that i cant quite get used to the birdshead grip, another story.

oops you were asking about 45lc, not acp, sorry. i have shot georgia arms and hsm cowboy loads, as well as hornady 185gr defense 45lc, in both my ruger blackhawk and bond arms derringer. all good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts