Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to purchase my first handgun for home defense. I have narrowed it down to the Ruger SP101 and the GP100. Which one do you guys like best?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I vote SP101. I love mine. I have 3 of them. The GP100 would serve you well also, but if you decide to carry it, the SP101 is much easier to carry. They all will last forever. Good shopping. Its great fun deciding on a new gun.

·
Registered
205 Posts
SP101. I love my 4.2" 357, it shoot well ,carries well , Its a little big gun. Enjoy the one you get. :D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think the GP would make a better range gun, but the SP would much nicer for packing.
The 4" SP might be a good compromise for both.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a 3" gp100. Love it for range and it's my hd handgun.
It's probably a little too big to carry (no ccw in NJ).
If you plan to carry concealed, sp101 is probably better.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I prefer the GP100. But what matters is what YOU like best, not me! Go shoot both if you can and then figure out which one you like better. To me, a revolver should have 6 holes in the cylinder. Anything else is just wrong! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the suggestions. This is definitely going to be a home gun. It is next to impossible to get a license to carry in my state.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you for all of the suggestions. This is definitely going to be a home gun. It is next to impossible to get a license to carry in my state.
In that case I would say a GP100. Either one is excellent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep. Pretty hard to beat a GP100 for home protection, the 4" with a good set of night sight's and speed loaders will do right by you. Make sure to get a good flashlight to keep alongside it and you'll be ready for business. Find a good IWBH and smaller set of stock's so you can carry it once you've got your HCP.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It's good that you have a clearly defined purpose for the gun. There are no guns that fit all situations, just like cars.

Thus, I'll add to the voting for the GP100. I'd also advocate something around 4". I think 6" is a bad choice for home defense.

Plus: do your best to do some training and PRACTICE!

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Love my GP and my SP's 3", but find I shoot the Sp's more often.

Both are great guns, either are a good choice.

I think the 3" have better balance, more accurate than the snubby and still carries well.

Flip a coin and get shootin!

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I'll echo what some of the others have said - it depends on what other use you will have for your new gun. Both are fine for home defense. The SP is probably the better carry gun, but the GP is the better range and target gun - usually has a better trigger and sights and is more comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If carrying isn't part of the equation then go with the GP

I had the same question a few weeks ago. I will be carrying mine so I have settled on the 3" SP101, if I can ever find one. The GP was just a little too big for what I was going to use it for. However, after alot of researching and staring at them the GP just might make its way onto my wish list.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
3 or 4" GP. I've owned several GP's and SP's... The 3"GP is my fav. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have both in .357, 4" GP and 3" SP. for home defense only there is no question, GP all the way. Six rounds, faster return to target w/less recoil.
I love both my wheel guns and shoot the heck out of them weekly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys and gal! There is a range not too far from me that rents guns. I am planning on trying out a .357. I also want to try a couple different semi autos too, perhaps .40 and .45 then I'm off to go gun shopping!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I dont have the sp, but I do have the gp, and do agree that the gp is not such a great carry gun, but i still do love it !!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts