Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have certain guns in my collection that have just worked their way into being favorites......and they are not always the most often fired, or the "best" defensive guns, but because they have just become so handy and reliable that you can't imagine being without them.......

I have several but among the very top are my beaten and battered "short frame" .38 Special SP101, that I bought used at a gun show for about $350. I thought the price was good and I didn't have an SP101, so I picked it up. It has become my most carried gun these days, unless I'm dressed in clothes that won't allow it. Looks like it's been kicked down concrete steps, but it works every time. I just replaced the Hydra Shoks that have been in it for 2 years with Hornady 110 gr. Critical Defense. I carried it today to a Halloween Parade with my family. It's cosmetically worn, and I wanted to try a Kydex holster with it, and have no worries about the Kydex being hard on the stainless because it's already scratched up.

My .25 Beretta 21A, my Dad bought this new back in 1989, still have the box and original grips. It sat around for over 20 years, I was looking at it one day in about 2008 or so, and he said "yeah just take it" and I've used it was a summer carry gun ever since. I put Tillander grips on it, just to add some "color" to it. I know .25 is a weakling for defense, but I've carried this thing IWB in sweatpants, mesh shorts, windpants, etc. and it's been there for CC when nothing else would fit. As "finicky" as these have a rep for being, I've put 50 rounds of Fiocchi ball through it without a bobble. It hates HP's, it loves Fiocchi FMJ, so I keep it loaded with Fiocchi and maybe put a mag or two through it once a year as an excuse to clean it. I think it will last me my lifetime. At some point I will get a good pocket holster for it. I also have the .22 version, the .25 is more reliable and holds 2 more rounds.

My NAA Pug .22 WMR, not much to say, it's just about as handy as a micro gun can get. 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense .22 WMR, usable sights, and it fits in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. I plan to get a DeSantis Nemesis for it. This gun dissapears in just about any type of clothing. I also have Minis in .22 LR and .22 Short, but I wouldn't count on those to stop anything. This is the gun I grab to run out to the mailbox at night, in case I surprise an aggressive critter, it's what I take to run to the store, I've carried it jogging, stashed it in the car as a "backup" on longer trips.I have carried it as a backup gun, even when carrying the SP101.......It takes up little more space than a speed strip...... It's kind of become the "don't leave home without it" gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like all three you post there. The beretta looks cool though I've heard 'mixed' things about 25acp as caliber the gun looks really pretty. The two revolvers are neat. I mean for me I'd want the SP 101 to be 38 +p rated. I believe the 38 only sp 101 and gp 100 are +p 38 rated. In a 2 inch barrel 357 magnum gives you a giant fireball more than anything else. 38 +P may be better since there's a lot less flash and muzzel flip. I'm not sure about 22 magnum as a defensive round but it sure is tiny!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,411 Posts
Too early to tell from my two year old collection but I don't see myself parting with my SR9C and CZ75B.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You:)

The .38 SP101's can handle all the +P and +P+ you can give them, no problems there. I also feel .357 in a snub isn't worth the trade in blast and recoil, especially in a defensive scenario.

.25 is a loser for defense, I know this, but despite having bought an LCP (and giving it to my Mom), I still carried the Beretta .25 more. I just put a .380 Glock 42 on layaway (again) and even after I get it, will continue to carry the .25 as a "light" carry gun. It rides really nice in an IWB holster. I am confident it will dispense 10 .25 pills if needed and the Fiocchi FMJ is among the most powerful .25 ACP you can get, maybe along with S&B. With these little .25 Berettas, and any .25, you find what runs in it, and stick with it. These aren't range guns or plinkers:) I had thought about getting the Beretta hard chromed (Metaloy), I have a Vaquero Birdshead at Mahovsky's right now getting hard chromed, if I like the results maybe down the road I'll send them the Beretta. I'll have to find out if Beretta used the "Bruniton" finish on these, the box just says "blue". I don't believe you can hard chrome over the Bruniton. Many times I have sweated all over the Beretta on a blazing hot summer day, and that's bad for the gun, the hard chrome will make it impervious to "life", pretty much. Sweat, moisture, etc. and it will also make the parts more wear resistant. After even only 8-10 hours of being sweated on,before I could wipe it off, the slide already shows very light pitting.

.22 WMR doesn't do much better in gel tests than .22 LR Stinger out of short barrels like the Mini but I still feel better with the Magnums. The .22 WMR defensive loads like Hornady and CCI also use better primers than any .22 LR, since they are marketed as "premium defensive rounds" and people tend to want those to go off when they need them to:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
My gen 2. Glock 17 since 93 the rock of my collection 50k plus rds thru the hole and works like the day I bought it. Ugly as sin I know but man it just works. Many others have come and gone but this one is staying with me as I have promised it to my son that he may enjoy a pistol to shoot at the range.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have certain guns in my collection that have just worked their way into being favorites......and they are not always the most often fired, or the "best" defensive guns, but because they have just become so handy and reliable that you can't imagine being without them.......

I have several but among the very top are my beaten and battered "short frame" .38 Special SP101, that I bought used at a gun show for about $350. I thought the price was good and I didn't have an SP101, so I picked it up. It has become my most carried gun these days, unless I'm dressed in clothes that won't allow it. Looks like it's been kicked down concrete steps, but it works every time. I just replaced the Hydra Shoks that have been in it for 2 years with Hornady 110 gr. Critical Defense. I carried it today to a Halloween Parade with my family. It's cosmetically worn, and I wanted to try a Kydex holster with it, and have no worries about the Kydex being hard on the stainless because it's already scratched up.

My .25 Beretta 21A, my Dad bought this new back in 1989, still have the box and original grips. It sat around for over 20 years, I was looking at it one day in about 2008 or so, and he said "yeah just take it" and I've used it was a summer carry gun ever since. I put Tillander grips on it, just to add some "color" to it. I know .25 is a weakling for defense, but I've carried this thing IWB in sweatpants, mesh shorts, windpants, etc. and it's been there for CC when nothing else would fit. As "finicky" as these have a rep for being, I've put 50 rounds of Fiocchi ball through it without a bobble. It hates HP's, it loves Fiocchi FMJ, so I keep it loaded with Fiocchi and maybe put a mag or two through it once a year as an excuse to clean it. I think it will last me my lifetime. At some point I will get a good pocket holster for it. I also have the .22 version, the .25 is more reliable and holds 2 more rounds.

My NAA Pug .22 WMR, not much to say, it's just about as handy as a micro gun can get. 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense .22 WMR, usable sights, and it fits in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. I plan to get a DeSantis Nemesis for it. This gun dissapears in just about any type of clothing. I also have Minis in .22 LR and .22 Short, but I wouldn't count on those to stop anything. This is the gun I grab to run out to the mailbox at night, in case I surprise an aggressive critter, it's what I take to run to the store, I've carried it jogging, stashed it in the car as a "backup" on longer trips.I have carried it as a backup gun, even when carrying the SP101.......It takes up little more space than a speed strip...... It's kind of become the "don't leave home without it" gun.
All good guns. My NAA 22 mag goes everywhere with me too. I guess the one that grew on me the most was an old police trade in I bought in the early 90's, when LEO's were switching to the wonder nines, it's a S&W 66-2 in 4". If there's one gun I can always hit with , and always count on to go BANG, it's the 66. It has some departments initials engraved under the grips but otherwise it's a great pistol for the $200 bucks I laid out for it back then.

ExArmy118, shoot me a PM if you have any interest in a wallet holster for the little .25. I used to own one of them and used this holster at times, but no longer have a need for it. It's yours if you want it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have two that I bought for the cool factor not because I needed them.
I haven't fired either yet but probably will some day.

Beretta 84FS .380

CZ 2075 D RAMI 9mm

Reactions: DCD327

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Beretta 96 for around the house.
Springfield XDs in .45 for around the waist.
Nickel S&W model 13 with 3" barrel just because.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
I can't argue with 2 of your three choices. Hard to beat an SP101 in any role. Great all around revolver. I have a friend whose firearms knowledge I greatly respect and his carry of choice is the same 22mag you have. The only one of the three I don't have an opinion on is the 25. I've shot a lot of guns in the last 45 years but for some reason I don't ever remember having the opportunity to shoot a 25.

In thinking about my own guns there are three that come to mind that fit your criteria. Two of them are long guns, a Remington 870 12ga pump shotgun and a Ruger 30-06 bolt action rifle. Neither get used very much but every time they do I remember why I still have them. They are the ubiquitous North American hunting guns. Moose to mallards and everything in between. The 870 is a basic black synthetic 28" Express. I think I paid about $250 for it 20 years ago at WalMart. The '06 is a Guide Gun I bought about 18 months ago. It replaced a Remington 700ADL 30-06. They only get used during hunting season and when I reach for them I have absolute confidence that both guns will do their part 100% reliably.

The other is a Sig P220 9mm that I have 30 years of history with so it's a sentimental favorite. It's also the most accurate and reliable handgun I've ever owned.

There are others I definitely won't part with but these three are the stalwarts of my gun collection.

Great idea for a thread.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine is my Walther P99 i have carried for 10 years now, also my Ar-15 that i have owned for 10 years and have the perfect load worked out for it. My third is the Super Blackhawk Bisley in 44 magnum. After just a little work and finding the right load it shoots like a laser. My Blackhawk 45 colt is also quickly finding a permanent home if it keeps acting so nice to me

·
Registered
588 Posts
LCP is my EDC, Blackhawk .45 Convertible is my deer hunting/woods gun, these are my mainstays But a Browning BDA is the gun of my avatar and one I truly enjoy owning :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Soon I'll have my Glock 42, hoping it may become my "mainstay" small auto........I also want to add a Glock 26 at some point, again just as a "tool" for summer carry. I wanted to add the NY-1 trigger to the 26 when I get it, since it will pretty much be a "belly gun" and the heavier trigger pull will be more familiar to me since I shoot mostly DA revolvers.

We had Glock 22's at a job I used to have, as an armed guard at a nuke plant, and I always shot well with them.......but I have no interest in a full size Glock. I do like the "micro" Glocks though. My Dad has the .45 "micro" I forget the model number but it's a really good defensive gun.

I'm looking to "retire" the .25, and just keep it as a fun gun, but despite several attempts at trying other small autos I just go back to the Beretta.

.25's are a boatload of fun to shoot, too bad they are so expensive......they're pretty much a centerfire .22. The Beretta actually shoots decent at 25 yards. The .25 is kinda like .32 S&W Short, or .22 Short, so completely lacking in any power but you can't help but have fun shooting them.

The .25 Auto is what I have given several nicknames to........., the "Doctor Gun", because it specializes in the Eye, in the Ear, Nose, or Throat........in other words, jam the muzzle into one of these places on the bad guy and dump the mag........

"Shoot and Scoot" gun, in other words, put those little .25's on the bad guy(s) and get the hell out of there....

"8 in the face", dump them all into the bad guys faceplate and hope for the best.....

·
Registered
245 Posts
My mini 14 is definitely my to go to rifle it just works . And as far as handguns it would probably be my NAA 22LR it was a gift from my father for my 18th birthday and it just never seems to stay in the safe more than about two weeks to handy to throw on my pocket when I'm running to the store put in my shorts when I'm going to the beach it was my daily CCW when I was 18 to 25 living in California i've been living in Mississippi for over 20 years so I guess I can say that now

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ruger M77 .270 Round top bought new 1973

Ruger No.1 45/70

Winchester Model 70's all 5 of them

S&W Model 29-3 and 686 SSR

Ruger Bisley 45 Colt/45ACP 5.5 stainless

Winchester 1200 12 gauge first gun I ever bought for myself 1967

1 - 20 of 48 Posts