Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which LCR?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gqucool 
#1 ·
I've had three different LCRs, so I'm going to start with a synopsis of each:

LCR38- Installed the boot grips and fiber optic (green) front sight. Loved shooting it, no recoil issues (even with +ps), grouped really well, was comfortable shooting at anything groundhog sized out to ten, twelve yards or maybe more. Baseball sized groups were typical at 10 yards for 5 rounds. Probably ran 1000 rounds through it, had someone offer to trade (even) an SP101 DAO 357, so I did (later sold the SP101 for a nice profit, felt it was much to heavy to EDC).

LCR 9mm- Meh. Moonclips were annoying to me, and still very expensive to buy (no aftermarket) when I had it. Accuracy was same as the 38. Never tried it with boot grips, but had no problem with the recoil when using the stock Tamer. Only gun I've ever had to get repaired- the extractor wouldn't seat properly and would lock up the cylinder (Ruger CS = awesome). Ran 250 rounds through before selling.

LCR 22 WMR- Installed the boot grips, painted front sight with bright orange stripe (haven't shot since painting). 24 round group best at 7 yards is about 6", 6 round groups are maybe 4". Trigger pull is pretty heavy, but not much more than my SP101. Recoil is non-existent. Ammo is hard to find, though I've got about 600 rounds accumulated (100 rounds of Gold Dot HPs). Currently this is my EDC, and it isn't even noticeable in a Sticky IWB. Purchased with the hope my wife would learn to shoot (she has yet to) the low recoil firearm. I like that it is a six round versus five, but not sure a 20% increase in rounds makes up for the decrease in power by using a WMR.

I keep my stable thin as I don't get to shoot nearly as often as I would like, and my wife is much less fussy when I can easily say how many firearms I have (instead of the answer "let me check"). My bedside firearm is a Taurus PT92, and my EDC is the LCR 22 WMR. I also have a 3" SP101 in 357 that I hike with. I'm debating on selling/trading the 22 WMR for the LCR 357, which could be loaded with soft 38s for the wife, and would share a caliber with the SP and my 77/357. Additionally, 38s can be had for nearly as cheaply as 22 WMR, and they are much easier to get. Plus, the WMR is a little light on the defensive side (though the Gold Dots perform comparably to a 380). I used to like the single action option, but at this point realize that I prefer DA with a smooth trigger.

So my question/concern: If I go with the LCR 357, will I find any use for the SP101, or will I end up itching to sell it? I don't believe in keeping a gun "just because" when there is someone out there who will love it and shoot it regularly, just like it should be. I don't feel like I was any more accurate with the SP101 than with my LCR38. Anyone else feel similarly?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't feel like I was any more accurate with the SP101 than with my LCR38. Anyone else feel similarly?
Is your SP101 DAO?

If you're shooting a DAO LCR as accurately as a DA/SA SP101 in single action, I'd say you should forego spending money on a new revolver right now and spend it on handgunning instruction. There should be a differential in your accuracy, without question.

#4 ·
If you don't have use for a DA/SA SP101, that's fine. If you don't need one, you don't need one.

Personally, I have no use for an LCR-22 WMR. Not powerful enough for me to believe in. I could justify an LCR-22LR, only under the circumstance I'd use it as a low cost training pistol for an LCR357 or 38. I agree with your mode of thinking to replace it with something sufficiently powerful for the task at hand.

#5 ·
I agree with varminterror. Sounds like you have enough reasons to trade the 22WMR for the LCR357. If you then find you no longer have a need for the SP, then sell it. How much you want for it? :D :p

#6 ·
From your description being that you have done well with a .38 Spec. LCR I would suggest buying the .357 LCR where you can shoot .38 Spec. thru it. But I strongly suggest to keep your Ruger SP101 3 inch just something very special to me on a 3 inch SP101 in .357 it's Rugers best balance SP101. Now my two Ruger LCR's are the LCRX .38 Special+P and my other is my .22 Magnum LCR and I do not feel under gunned at all with either. Yes the Hornady Critical Defense .22 Mag. 45 grain FTX load does give a .380 a run for the knock down power etc. The .22 Mag LCR also gives you 6 rounds vs 5 Keep your .22Mag LCR & Buy a .357 LCR just My two cents worth. I also have a 3 inch Ruger SP101 in ,327FM

#8 ·
Yes the Hornady Critical Defense .22 Mag. 45 grain FTX load does give a .380 a run for the knock down power etc.
Um... No... No, it doesn't...

Hornady Critical Defense 45grn 22WMR
Muzzle Velocity = 1000fps in 1.8" barrel
Muzzle Energy = 100ft.lbs.
Taylor Knockdown power = 1.44

Hornady Critical Defense 90grn 380acp
Muzzle Velocity = 900fps in my Ruger LCP
Muzzle Energy = 161ft.lbs.
Taylor Knockdown power = 3.45

I wouldn't call lagging by ~40% in muzzle energy and only carrying 42% of the Knockdown Power "giving it a run..."

The 22WMR isn't in the same ballpark as the .380acp, and it's dang sure not anywhere in the same league as the .38spcl, let alone .357mag.

#7 ·
I've said a lot about the LCRX, lately. It's just that I am convinced that it is about the best all around gun in the series. I'm not a person to ever sell any of my guns. I'd likewise keep the 3" SP101 as a back-up for anything. It does have excellent balance, and will handle the .357 so much better than most.

#9 · (Edited)
Oh for hell sakes Varminterror I think the Hornady Critical Defense does a more then adequate job for what it's intended to do! Excuse my wording run for the money:rolleyes: Um....No...No...hey the load works I wouldn't want to be shot by either a .380 or .22Magnum:eek: I never said anything compared to .357 or .38 Special. It's evident from the OP's statement he has heard the same comment that I had heard about .22 Magnum vs a .380 If the .380 has more power ok.......but we are talking here about Ruger LCR's my thoughts here are there are only two 6 shot Ruger LCR's a .22 Magnum & a .327 FM LCR

#10 · (Edited)
I wouldn't want to be shot by a BB gun, for that matter....

I'd never say the .380acp is a fast stopper, but comparatively, it's a far sight ahead of the 22WMR.

Go kill some stuff with 22WMR and 380acp. The difference becomes readily apparent, and the benefit of "more oomph" in a situation where a stoppage a few seconds faster might mean the difference in life and death... Yeah, I'll take those seconds to my favor instead of my attackers. I don't care what ballistics gel tests show, or guys shooting phonebooks on youtube think about the loads - stick them in the mag and go kill live game. Take a couple coyotes with 22WMR and .380acp, or some wild piglets - animals keep moving when hit with either, and they move a lot faster and longer when hit with 22WMR. What side of the "not enough, and barely enough" boundary do you want to fall?

I hope you'll never get to experience the lack of stopping power of 22WMR in a life or death scenario, and I hope if you do, your shot placement is fortunate.

#11 ·
I am not going to go out and shoot pigs:rolleyes:or other animals with a .22 Magnun and then a .380 you made your point and yea some over kill here:rolleyes: but I do not feel under gunned in any way if I carry a .22 Magnum LCR at times for self defense. The Hornady line of Critical Defensive ammo does what its intended to do provide the user of the gun no matter what caliber it is a "defensive round" I remember you telling me that you can be rather Blunt yea you are good at that too!!!:):rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.