Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have cast several hundred boolits with the Lee TL mold but to date have only shot 50 or so. They were cast from straight CoWW, lubed with a mix of Johnsons Liquid Floor wax and LL Alox and pushed with 9 grns of Unique. No leading but accuracy was just so-so. These were not sized, shot as cast.

My go to boolit is cast with a RCBS 215 SWC with the same alloy, sized to .410 and lubed with NRA Alox. Loaded with 9 grns of Unique. No leading and much better accuracy.

Both loads were shot in a Blackhawk and a Super Blackhawk Hunter with the same results in each gun. YMMV

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been using a 5 Cavity Bullet Mold - .41 Cal Keith type Bullet (41 220 Gr. SWC) by Arsenal Molds. Bought on ebay. It has two cavities for gas checks and three for flat base. I have cast these with great results. I have not used tumble lube yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have that mold and it works fairly well for punching paper and cans. I have a Blackhawk and a Taurus in 41 mag that likes it. For a hunting bullet I'd probably want something different.

Key

·
Registered
393 Posts
I cast a tremendous amount of lead and have too many molds to count! With that said, I have never really been happy with the Lee molds. I have by far more Lead Bullet Technology (LBT) molds than any others. I prefer heavy bullets in my wheel guns and run 250,260 and 275 gn in my 41s. The Lee is ok to start with till you get a better mold ordered. Just my op! Many many casters like Lee!! Price is great but I find I have to do too much work on the mold to make it worth it! The mold is the most critical piece if casting equipment you will ever buy and a poor mold will only make you want to quit casting. A mold must fill out properly,cast round bullets and drop them effortlessly! Custom molds also allow you to properly fit the bullet to the gun!

·
Registered
285 Posts
DSN109
I haven't used the Lee mold to which you refer.
I've been shooting the .41 mag since '71 and my "go to bullet" has been the Lyman 410459. It's a true Keith SWC that weighs in at 220 gr. with my alloy. It's a close fit in my Blackhawks and S&W's, but it's an awesome bullet. Loaded up or down, it's pretty much "handled" anything & everything I've shot with it.
My 1894 doesn't feed that SWC (or any other) very well, so it gets fed the Saeco 4102FF. That's a 220 gr. RNFP and it works well in the revolvers OR the rifle.
My response doesn't answer your question, but gives you a couple of alternatives.

Skyhunter

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have cast several hundred boolits with the Lee TL mold but to date have only shot 50 or so. They were cast from straight CoWW, lubed with a mix of Johnsons Liquid Floor wax and LL Alox and pushed with 9 grns of Unique. No leading but accuracy was just so-so. These were not sized, shot as cast.

My go to boolit is cast with a RCBS 215 SWC with the same alloy, sized to .410 and lubed with NRA Alox. Loaded with 9 grns of Unique. No leading and much better accuracy.

Both loads were shot in a Blackhawk and a Super Blackhawk Hunter with the same results in each gun. YMMV
I don't see that as a fair comparison. I would size the Lees and use the premium lube, then draw conclusions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't see that as a fair comparison. I would size the Lees and use the premium lube, then draw conclusions.
They were not sized because they cast at .410. Throats on both revolvers are .4105, thus the .410 bullet. I have found nothing that works better than a mix of 60% Lee Liquid Lube and 40% Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax on a tumble lube bullet.

You do understand that the mold in question is a bullet without a traditional lube groove? I just don't think you could get enough of the NRA lube in those itty bitty ridges on a T/L bullet. Might could. I don't know. I never thought to try to lube a T/L bullet in the sizer with wax based lube. Might just try that and see how it works.

·
Registered
169 Posts
" I never thought to try to lube a T/L bullet in the sizer with wax based lube. Might just try that and see how it works."

It didn't work real well. Accuracy was about the same, maybe a little off, but leading was much worse. Grooves are too shallow and small to hold enough lube i expect. YMMV

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a MP Mould 416-640 as my go to mould. It casts a 220 gr Gas Checked FP or a 210gr GC Large HP. I cast coww +2% tin, size to 410 and use a Moly bee lube over 14.4 gr 2400 in a 4-5/8" BH. No leading.

NOE has a current group buy going on for a NOE 412-237-SWC (KEITH) That is really sweet. Also doing, .429, .454, and .357 moulds with square lube groove and equal drive bands, time is running out if you want in. Check it out at:

412-237-SWC (KEITH) -14- GB263

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I cast the same Keith bullet from linotype as Minerat!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Never used a 41 Lee TL mold but have in other calibers. They have worked acceptably if you accept them for what they are and don't have unreasonable expectations. Like a lot of Lee products they can be quirky IMO just work through those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts