Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I need to do a climate check with you on two .45 ACP caliber pistols that have come up in comparison discussions among some shooting buddies of mine and I just wanted to get your take on them...here goes;

If you had a choice, which gun would you pick over the other and why?

Springfield Armory XDM 4.5" (barrel)

...or...

Glock 21 Gen 4

I appreciate your input and time!

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Off the two you mentioned for me is easy the springfield. I do not shoot well with a glock unlike most police and gun carriers. I do like the cz 97 but it is an all steel gun. and is heavy for concealed carry. If for general shooting or home defense the weight is obviously no problem.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Which feels best in your hand? Which shoots better for you?

What shoots best for myself or another random stranger on an online forum is completely irrelevant for you. Go give them a test drive.

I've owned both, Glocks agree with me better than Springfild XD's. I keep a G19 on my nightstand for that reason. My "heavy service" carry piece is now a Sig P224, which I favor over the Glock, despite the long DA first shot. It's a better pistol all around.

·
Registered
392 Posts
in my old age, I think I'm becoming a gun snob. if I had the money, this condition would get worse, real fast. (which is the best .45acp, the Wilson or the Brown, maybe Guncrafter?) ok, to me, the .45acp cartridge was designed for the 1911, not some block of plastic. the CZ 97 or in the reality of my price range, the Ruger P90, is metal, can be fired SA and "affordable". Colt and Ruger 1911's are "affordable". if somebody wants a plastic gun that shoots .45acp, there's the Hi-Point, then the $500-600 guns.
please don't mind me, carry on. good luck. have fun.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
For me, it would be the XDM. I just can't get my hand around the Glock grip. The XDm is a fine pistol, but I sold mine because of excessive muzzle jump due to the high bore axis.

Before you buy either one, though, I would suggest that you look at the S&W M&P 45c.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both are Great!

I own both an XDM and Glock 21 and they are great. If I had to sell one it would be the XDM because 1) it is worth more and 2) the Glock is virtually indestructible. However, I prefer the XDM as it is a higher quality gun in my opinion.

The Glock, however, gets the nod for my hunting and back woods carry. Why the Glock? Because it is virtually indestructible and can be drug through anything without much care. With a closed bottom holster, thumb strap and lanyard, I know it is going to be right there and work when I need it.

Both pistols are good and I am about equally accurate with each left or right handed. Since the Glock is so much less expensive, including magazines, I would go that route if you can only have one and don't care about looks or fit/finish. Spend what you save on ammunition and more magazines.

Of course you could buy both!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a 21 gen 4 that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. By not using any backstrap, it feels good in my hand; also have Talongips. I also had a G19 gen 4 that I like and wanted the 21 to go with it.
I've gone back and forth over the years on the XDM series but something always stops me from getting one. They do tend to sit higher in my hand and I'm not a fan of the rear rails being polymer. Don't know if the mod.2 grip style will encourage me to ever get one or not.

·
Registered
322 Posts
One thing to add is the grip safety of the XDM. Some hate it, I love it. Anything that prevents "Glock Leg" is OK in my book.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have shot and enjoyed shooting both. I would trust my life to either. I think it really comes down to personal preference. I prefer the XD(M) line over Glock because of grip angle, grip safety, and the tactile feel. It just feels better to me. I am sure you could find plenty of people who like the Glock better for the same reason. If you haven't shot them both go try them out. I am almost positive the choice for you will become obvious.

Also, if you can, make sure you have the right back strap for your hand size on both when comparing. You really can't go wrong with either. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
638 Posts
In 9mm or 40, I prefer the Glock line over the XD series. With my smaller hands I just can't get comfortable with the thick 45 Glocks. I have been eyeing the Mod2 XD subcompact in 45. So far I only have the 1911 for the venerable cartridge. A modern double stack might be a good addition.

The 4.5 barrels are a bit long for my needs. I've found the shorter barrel XD guns to be pretty accurate and more tuned in to carry. Even with the short magazine, 9+1 rounds of 230 grains is a nice thought. For a range/HD gun, I'd pick the 4.5 XDM over the G21.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts