Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 19, SA 1911, Beretta 92FS, and am now looking to add a revolver to my collection. Target shooting, nightstand pistol.
Have narrowed it down to SP101, GP 100, S&W 686 Plus. What are your experiences with these revolvers?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
A three inch 686+ has been on my list for a while. I like the sp 101's too, but like them differently than the Smith.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Can't go past a GP100.
It one the serious contenders on my wish list.
Search through here and you will find many positive posts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can't go wrong with either of them. The best thing to do is go to your local gun store and hold them. Buy the one that feels the best in your hand and you'll have your answer.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
GP100 ,SP101 , Blackhawk , Redhawk.......eny....meeny....miny....moe.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I love my GP and my Redhawk, a nice little SP could be just the ticket.

·
Registered
250 Posts
By order of preference and reason:

GP100 – 4” or 6” barrel w/adj. sights, reliable, accurate, available accessories and affordable.

SP101 – Sub 3” or longer barrels, variety of configurations, reliable, accurate, available accessories and affordable.

686+ - Sub 4” to 6” barrel w/adj. sights, reliable, accurate, 7 round cylinder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
While I only own a GP100 I just made a the decision myself. Normally I dont chime in about guns I dont own or have a lot of experience with but I did a lo of research on this exact decision (though I knew the SP101 was quite what I wanted at the moment, but wil pick one up as soon as I can) just weeks ago and here is what I found.

All 3 are outstanding guns. However I kind of feel the sp101 is out of place when compared to the GP100 and 686 as its a smaller frame and one less round. If you are not going to CC it or if you hands are not quite small then I would look at the GP100 and 686, or 686 plus for a general purpose, nightstand, truck, target, etc etc gun.

The general consensus is that the Smith IN GENERAL (not always) will be a little more refined and finished just a little nicer. While the GP100 will lend itself to being a little tougher when it comes to shooting full house loads day in and day out. Not that the Smith isnt tough, just not quite as beefy as the GP. Of course you can get a lemon in either and likewise get either that is just a step above most.

I place more value on function over form and because of that (and the price) I got a GP100 and literally could not be happier with it. The trigger is even much better than I expected and I havent fired it that much.

As mention all are excellent revolvers and I may have a 686 one day (definitely will have an SP101) but for me and what I wanted to do I felt the GP100 was best.

You really cant go wrong with any of them

One other thing to add to your confusion. I wasnt dead set on what length barrel to get. I liked the idea of the 4 being a litte more "handy" and the 6 having a little more velocity and sight radius. But to me the 4" barrel is just a little shot looking and the 6 slightly out of place.

Well low and behold there is a 5" barrel modle that isnt cataloged and that is what I got and again, could not be happier with the choice I made.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
IMHO, S&W 686 or GP100 in that order. Both are great revolvers, with subtle differences ( I own both in 4"), and both are many times more accurate than most shooters. Try both and (money aside ), get the one that feels best to you.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
By order of preference and reason:

GP100 – 4” or 6” barrel w/adj. sights, reliable, accurate, available accessories and affordable.

SP101 – Sub 3” or longer barrels, variety of configurations, reliable, accurate, available accessories and affordable.

686+ - Sub 4” to 6” barrel w/adj. sights, reliable, accurate, 7 round cylinder.
yup, what he said

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a 4" GP100 and it's a great gun in all aspects. A lot of other reasons mentioned already, but one very small thing is I like the cylinder release on Rugers vs S&W. If feels more natural to push it than to pull it.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
I have the 4" GP100 and use it for the same purposes you stated. I am more than happy with it. The OTB trigger was excellent and the revolver is accurate, rugged and reliable. I bought it when it still came with the Lett style insert grips and they fit my hands quite well and look great. If it ever gets sold it will be to pay for my funeral expenses.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I would recommend the Ruger GP100. I have it's predecessor, the Ruger Security Six.
I understand Ruger just improved the already great Security Six when they brought out the GP100.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
If you can only afford one (1)...I would recommend the GP100 3" Barrel! Great gun that can multi-task for you! You can shoot .357's as well as .38's through it! It can be your bedstand gun, a CC gun, or home protection gun! They are tougher than nails and rugged as heck!

I have a 4" fixed-sight GP100 in .357 Mag...and I absolutely LOVE it! It has the Tritium front night sight and cruise's around in a Bianchi Model 7 3-Slot holster.

Several optional grips that are available for the GP100...include the older factory Lett Grips with the wood panels (can find them on ebay if you have smaller hands)...Hogue wood grips, Badger Custom Grips, and Eagle Grips.

The factory front sight can be exchanged for a Tritium night sight from XS Sight Systems - Home or a Hi-Viz sight!

Nice leather holsters are available from Bianchi, DeSantis, and Galco!

You lighten the trigger pull with a set of Wolff Springs...easily changable yourself!

Pretty much the same options for the SP101!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I have a GP100, blued, 4" barrel and it rocks! :D

Of all my sidearms it has been my "main gun" since I got it last February.

I love the way it handles while shooting, it's shoots much better then I do, it's built like a tank, even with the .357 mag load it manages the recoil great.

I've been very happy with it. Good luck with your search...

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The SP is a fine little gun, but I've found the GP to be much easier to shoot, both in terms of handling recoil and shooting, accurately. Even my recoil shy friend likes shooting my GP-100 with 158 grain loads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts