Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tasco World class scope with the silver finish, this one World Class<sup>®</sup> Riflescopes | Tasco® — Believe it.
I want to put it on a Ruger 10/22 that has a stainless barrel. I will use the base that came with the gun. Now all I need is rings that will match. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best rings to use. I found these but don't know if they will work on the base that came with the gun
Weaver - Scope Mounting Rings - Grand Slam Top Mount
Number 49322 1" HIGH SILVER $29.95

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll need the high rings. I think you could go with medium and be okay. That scope doesn't have an overly-large front objective so the medium height rings should let you clear.

Whatever you end up with, don't get the windage adjustable rings. I ended up with those by mistake one time and they were a pain in the rear to get right without the scope being canted one way or the other and one side would loosen up and then the other. It was horrible.

Just get the standard rings that lock down tight on one side. It'll save you the headache and you'll have a good sturdy mount for your 10/22.

Send us photos when you have her all put together.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
There are some pictures of a couple of basic rail/ring combinations in this thread...

http://rugerforum.net/optics/59538-low_lower_lowest.html?

It will give you an idea of what height rings will match your scope...I put the pics up because I had a hard time figuring out which rail/ring combo would work for me...there are tons of them...

Plus you might want to set it up to clear a bull barrel in case you get one later...

I see your scope is a 40mm objective...the first pic in that thread is also a 40mm objective...

The Weaver brand rings with knob-style ring base nuts are great for easy on/off and tighten down really tight...

The Leupold Rifleman rings are also very nice...easy to set up...low cost...

Shop at Midway USA...they have the widest selection and the most detailed and easy to navigate website...

The scope in your link has a 100 yard parallax...not too good for 22 IMO... I would get an AO scope or rimfire or shotgun parallax instead of high power rifle parallax...

Don't use the factory rail on the receiver...get a Weaver or Picatinny rail...I prefer Weaver...

I have a special reason for liking the Weaver TO-9 rail a lot...but if all other things are equal I would go with the Weaver multi-slot rail...just my opinion...I am not an expert on scopes... :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I put a set of Weaver See-Thru rings on my Deluxe Sporter and I love them. They mount directly on the receiver without having to use the rail. They give you the opportunity to use either the open sights or the scope. You can get them in stainless or in blue.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Can you post pics of those and provide link...sounds pretty good...how high are they...

I put a set of Weaver See-Thru rings on my Deluxe Sporter and I love them. They mount directly on the receiver without having to use the rail. They give you the opportunity to use either the open sights or the scope. You can get them in stainless or in blue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can you post pics of those and provide link...sounds pretty good...how high are they...

Give me a few minutes and I'll take a picture of them for you.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture...your gun looks good as do the rings...

Good concept but way too high for me...

I modified a set of Leupold Rifleman rings to mount w/o a rail so my scope and receiver mounted peep sight would be at same height...

Came out pretty good...however, temporarily going back up some (not a lot) to make the most of the heel drop on my Fajen stock for now...have my cheek set to NRA SBS max which is level with center of bore...turns out that the perfect eye level for me with that cheek rest height is the Weaver multi-slot rail with Weaver Low rings...no pics of that combo but below are pics of all those rails/rings...

This works real good if you want to keep your cheek rest low...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a set of Burris "z" rings...they are extremely strong and well made but such a pita to use I just hate them...and they cost a lot too...if it was high power I might think differently about the Burris...for 22 I personally see no reason to spend a lot and IMO aluminum are fine if they are good quality...

www.midwayusa.com is the best place to shop and compare rings and scopes IMO...well organized and lots of detail information...

I do like www.opticsplanet.com a lot also but their website is a pita to navigate and sometimes you have to know exactly what you are looking for and dig deep to find it on their website...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Weaver quad medium on Weaver multi slot rail with 40mm AO scope...clearance to the .920 barrel is less than .01"...lens caps had to be modified...the multi-slot rail is approx .1" higher than the TO-9 rail...the Rifleman Low rings are approx. .06 higher than the Weaver low rings...specs say otherwise...pics and ruler tell the whole story...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Leupold Rifleman Low rings...Weaver TO-9 rail...these rings a surprisingly high quality for under $20 and very nice and easy to use...I have to say I like the Weavers with the large thumb nuts better for taking the scope on/off quickly...

This rail/ring combo will definitely clear a 33mm scope and definitely will NOT clear a 40mm scope

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Weaver Low rings on Weaver TO-9 rail...28mm scope...this combination is the lowest rail/ring combo I know of made for the 10/22 and will be marginal for a 33mm scope...but most likely will clear...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I had a really hard time finding good pics and info regarding rail/ring/scope combinations when I was shopping and hope these help people who are searching for the same type of info...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
One more this is the Weaver Low rings on the Weaver multi-slot rail...28mm scope...I am lucky the dimensions are working out...I really like this rail a lot...with both scopes mounted in the weaver thumb nut rings I can swap between them if need be in less than a minute with only a coin for a screw driver...actually the coin works best...I suppose that is how they were intended...nice...only thing is I wish they had made it for both size dovetails in one rail like the TO-9...then I could mount my peep sight on it...as it stands...not sure how I am going to end up doing my iron sights...probably modify a Weaver scope ring-base to take a peep sight and match it to the same eye level as the scope in the picture...at the moment I have the cheek rest built up perfectly for this rail/ring/scope eye level...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not that anybody cares but this is how I am doing the cheek rest...

Putting this up because when people select their ring/base/scope they should consider what they plan to do about the cheek rest...some scope mounts might be too low for some stock styles...and most stocks need a lot of work or add on material for any scope...

I built this plastic stock up with expanding foam and sculpted it...it's done good enough for now...will cover it in black leather once it's completely prepped...the height of the cheek rest is at the center of the bore...the scope/rail/ring combo was selected to match that...my reason for establishing cheek rest first is because I set it at the max allowed for SB Silhouette matches...as you can see...the rest is very high relative to a factory stock...and the scope is not very high at all...that rail ring combo will not clear a 40mm scope...

Work in progress...

·
Registered
35 Posts
So if you put a TO-9 rail on your receiver and wanted to mount a Williams peep, would you need the one with the low line of sight or the high line of sight. I have a TO-9 rail and I'm wanting to use one of the Williams FP peep sights.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/53318-threaded-10-22-barrel-iron-sights.html?

http://rugerforum.net/optics/59842-peep-sights-scope.html?

If you are talking about mounting a peep sight the way I did mine that is easy the product is the Williams WGRS-54...the FP is a different story...

The hard part...if you use the WGRS-54 instead of the FP would be getting the front post the right height...I made my own...for me having the top of the post very close to 1" above the center of the bore...

If you are talking about the Williams FP series that is a different story and from what I have been able to tell by looking at the product photos in order to retain a well mounted scope rail like the T0-9 at the same time would be doable not w/o some modification...you MIGHT be able to p/u one of the rear holes existing...but you have to drill/tap the receiver to mount the FP anyway...so you might as well drill/tap holes in your scope rail to make it all work out...and IMO...you would be better off with the Weaver Multi-slot rail so you can use rings where needed...with the TO-9 rail and the FP sight you will have to make new slots in the rail for the scope rings...

Use this rail...it's higher too...easier to get rings that clear the FP...in any case a multi slot rail is what you would want to work with...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=weaver+multi+slot+rail+10/22

There are actually THREE FP sights that fit the 10/22... two are referred to as "low" when one is actually "super low"...

If you want the rail/peep combo what will allow you to use the Williams front post for the factory barrel and have the peep at the rear of the receiver down on the sloped portion so a scope can mount at the same time you want the Williams Ace in The Hole...

In any case...I recommend figuring out what you want to end up with and why...then choose the rear sight you want...then find out what height front post will match it...then make sure you can get a post in the height range that will fit your barrel...do all that prior to purchasing any rear sight...

Go to Williams gun sight website and they have a ton of detailed information in their catalog pdf download...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

If you want a fixed peep on a solid picatinny rail with matching front posts get check out the Nodak NDS-26...just remember that for a scope you will have no choice but to use high rings to clear the peep...with the williams it is easy to remove the peep if need be and from using the Williams RU-22 I can tell you that the ACE in the hole would allow a much lower scope mount w/o removing the peep...

What I like about the WGRS-54 on the TO-9 rail is that I can easily remove it and quickly mount a scope with Weaver brand rings...AND I can slide the Peep forward on the rail to get the perfect eye relief for focus and sight picture with my front globe for any size aperture I want to use...

There are pics in the thread I linked you to...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I'm not really wanting to have a peep and scope both, just a peep only. Like I said I already have a TO-9 rail so I was wondering about mounting a Williams FP and since they have a high los and low los models I was wondering which would be best. The reason I like the FP series because they are available with finger knobs. I've been looking at the Williams Ace in the Hole and at Tech sights also. I guess I'll have to decide and I just wanted an option that is decent and is pretty much of a drop in type option. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes the FP Low with Target Turrets is something that appeals to me a lot...I seriously considered getting one...however, I have come to the conclusion that for about the same money when it is all said and done... and infinitely less hassle...a small scope like a 1-4x20mm is way better and that the peep sights are best for up to 60yards in which case the need for target turrets goes away...maybe not for you...definitely for me...

The FP TT is lower than a scope...but goes up to 1.25" above the center of the bore which is IMO the excellent height range for iron sights...that is subject to opinion...some like lower...some like up high like a scope...

The picture of my WGRS-54 is in the center of the FP Low range...on the rail you have now...

That was my point...you have the rail and from what you said you wanted to keep it as well as saying you were interested in FP...in which case it appears you would have to at least modify that rail...

The FP High is up where a scope would be...center is the 1.5" above the bore range...

IF you can find or make a front post of the correct height you CAN put a Williams peep sight on that rail that comes off easy and still allows a scope to be mounted...

Why would you want to keep that rail if it interferes with the FP and you are not going to mount a scope on it...

That was a rhetorical question...I don't really want to know...this is a scope rings thread...

·
Registered
334 Posts
The basic rule is to use the lowest rings to properly mount your scope. If it is elevation that you need then you need to purchase an elevated mounting rail.

The problem with using too high a ring has to do with proper cheek weld. Too many times, I go out to the range to see frustrated shooters getting very poor groups, only to see that they have mounted rings that are way too high. Then, I watch them shoot with virtually NO cheek weld!

In general, your 40mm objective means that a low ring should probably work OK. If you want to reach out and shoot consistently at 100 yards, then you should get an elevated rail. For this, I recommend a 15 MOA Picatinny rail. The other thing that you can do, is to compensate for the 10-22 'hump'. The best way to do this is to purchase some shim stock at Brownells, and shim the rail.

Personally, I did the following:
1. BSA 6-24 x 44mm Mil-dot scope
2. 15 MOA Picatinny rail
3. Millet windage adjustable (LOW BASE) Angl-Loc rings
4. Brownells shim stock.

Now, I can say that windage adjustable steel rings are not for everybody. However, if you properly install these things, you can pretty much get very close to zero with the scope innards set to dead center. This is what you want if you wish to have your rig sighted for the normal 50 yard shots, and the longer 100-200 yard shots, without running out of adjustment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts