Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Money not being a factor. Which would you buy between the stainless barrel synthetic stock and the blued barrel wooden stock? The price difference is not a factor since its only $20.

I like the synthetic barrel because it would go well with a tactical look once I start modifying the rifle, but I was wondering if there are any disadvantages with an all weather over a good old plain 10/22 or anything else.

Also what scope do you reccomend for a 10/22. I saw a few scopes at walmart for under $30 and some under $20 for .22 rimfires. Are those any decent?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've always been a fan of stainless with wood. It's the most difficult option to find, but is the most pleasing to me. If you want a tati-cool rifle, then you're probably replacing the stock anyway?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are looking at replacing the barrel, get the carbine, since the receiver is the same on both models, the stainless model just having a silver painted receiver. I prefer stainless myself for ease of maintainanace however I would probobly replace the barrel so would get the carbine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what if any differences are there between the two aside from looks? Also what about a decent scope for a 10/22.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Sorry, you won't get a decent scope for $20 or $30. Why sink money into a 10/22 and all the mods you want to do and put a junk scope on it? A scope is, by far, the most important mod you will do to a 10/22. It's not that scopes at that price won't work, it's more a matter of quality control and consistency from one box to the next. It's about repeatability on the adjustments; it's about optics and so much more. I've been shooting for over forty years and I've NEVER once heard anyone complain about spending too much on a scope.

I'd at least try to spend $50 on a Simmons 22 mag and $100 on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x is even better. Have two of those. My favorite 22 scope is the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x BDC. Also own two of those. The Nikons make shooting any 22 rifle a treat.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My 10/22 had a Simmons scope as well. I found it to be the perfect choice for my eyes. The lenses worked well seeing small varmint targets near dust.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Me.....
I'm stainless with handguns and blued with longarms.
Wood over synthetic.

·
Banned
359 Posts
I like the toughness of the stainless; scratches can be easily removed with sandpaper. Can't do that with blued barrels. For a rifle that is going to be used in varying conditions, synthetic is equally tough. But for a 10/22 that is going to be shot primarily at ranges in good weather, a nice wood stock is a beautiful thing.

Stainless/synthetic is like a pickup. Blued/walnut is like a convertible.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have a Simmons .22 mag. scope to match the stainless barrel (& wood stock) on mine. Would recommend it both for looks and performance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, you won't get a decent scope for $20 or $30. Why sink money into a 10/22 and all the mods you want to do and put a junk scope on it? A scope is, by far, the most important mod you will do to a 10/22. It's not that scopes at that price won't work, it's more a matter of quality control and consistency from one box to the next. It's about repeatability on the adjustments; it's about optics and so much more. I've been shooting for over forty years and I've NEVER once heard anyone complain about spending too much on a scope.

I'd at least try to spend $50 on a Simmons 22 mag and $100 on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x is even better. Have two of those. My favorite 22 scope is the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x BDC. Also own two of those. The Nikons make shooting any 22 rifle a treat.
Thanks for the scope advice. I never intended to put on those $30 scopes unless you guys would recommend one. I am going to look into the nikon n the Simmons. I am also looking at a BSA sweet 22 scope.

Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
The deal with those cheap small scopes are:

1. Short focal length

2. field of view

I have a Cabelas 22LR specific 3 x 9 x 40 and it works great for me.

Now i HAVE shoot it. I have tons of 4 different cartridges. When I hit the right one i will shoot the rest for the hell of it.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
If you plan on keeping and using the Ruger synthetic stock, be aware that they are difficult to put sling swivels on, since the butt is hollow with no way to get inside of it. That steered me away from that model.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm old, so tradition runs deep in my heart for blue with a wrapping of gorgeous walnut. The nicks and scratches become part of its lore over time. I do own a Mini-14 stainless and synthetic, and I'm still dealing with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you plan on keeping and using the Ruger synthetic stock, be aware that they are difficult to put sling swivels on, since the butt is hollow with no way to get inside of it. That steered me away from that model.
...i have the new synthetic stock on mine and i put the ruger swing swivels on mine....no problem so far..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the stainless barrel with a wood stock equipped with a Simmons 22mag 3x9x32 for hunting and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 rimfire BDC150 for targets.
If money is not an issue why not buy both of the riffles you are considering?

·
Registered
223 Posts
SS/plastic 10/22

i bought this one at WW, love the black and stainless barrel. mine has a black painted receiver, not the silver painted one. the plastic stock doesnt dent and show wear like the wood stock. in my opinion the wood stocks are REALLY cheap looking. a nice walnut checkered international stock, now this is a different story!!! the plastic stock grows on you, very utility and gets the job done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts