Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,758 Posts
This reminds me of those “what gun do I use when I meet a bear?“ Threads: no right answer. Personally, I am very happy with Hoppes’ products, but I recommend you try a bunch of different ones and see which works best for you, especially if you shoot on a regular basis.

I do use Clenzoil, if I clean a gun after only a few shots. Otherwise, Hoppes #9 and then their oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK guys, here is N oldie but a goody. A redneck said use black (used) motor oil on a rusting blue SBH. Hmmmm. Yep, that will make it dark alright. How may Yays? Nays? And the winning vote is...?
Used motor oil on a gun would not be my first choice.

If I found a rusty SBH, all I had was used motor oil and I needed to make the gun work ASAP then I'd use what I had.

I usually stick with gun products. Take your pick. I have soaked the internal parts of an old 10/22 in automatic transmission fluid to deep clean. I don't shoot anything or in an environment that requires grease. A light gun oil works for me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use a mix of 5W-20 synthetic motor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil and synthetic Trans fluid.
Has worked well for me oer the years.
I do believe most folks over lube their firearms and this holds onto residue from firing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
CLP, dry receivers on my 10/22 and Chargers - and for the love of God stay away from Frog Lube unless you use it to coat the inside of your rimfire suppressor before a range session

·
Registered
211 Posts
I love REM oil because it has Teflon in it. Even when it appears to be dry it still leaves a coating of lubricating Teflon on the surfaces that it is applied to. On the slides of my semi-autos I like to use something called Mil-Tech oil. After two or three applications it leaves a lubricating film that stays, even when it appears to have dried out. On magazines I have been using Remington Dri-Lube for several years now. This leaves a dry slick coating that does not attract dirt, grime, powder residue, pocket-lint, etc etc etc. After shooting several hundred rounds through one magazine all I have to do is blow the accumulated crud out with compressed air.
As has been stated before Grease should only be used on M1s, certain semi-auto shotguns, and very little else.
There are many fine oils out there in the marketplace. I personally stick with things that are made for firearms, in my firearms. And high-quality motor oils for my trucks and cars. As has been stated it is not necessarily to over Lube anything, a needle Oiler syringe with the tip cut off, works just great. If you run your guns (wet) over oiled, all it does is accumulate dirt, powder residue, and fouling.
when storing my firearms for more than a few days I do put a light coat of oil on the inside of the barrel. But before shooting you need to put a patch through to get rid of this oil. Good luck, shoot more, have fun.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts