Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which SP101??? Added First Range Report & pics.

Well was talking with my wife about wanting to get a dedicated CCW for my everyday carry, as the handguns I have now are full-size and become to uncomfortable to carry all day, plus I need something easier to conceal. So she says well, why don't you get one. So I've been in the market looking for a revolver, originally started looking at S&W's as I have been really happy with the performance and customer service--well a Ruger SP101 was sitting in the case, and it fit my hand really well, and was much more affordable than the S&W 60--plus it met my requirement for Stainless steel construction. After looking over Ruger's site, I see they offer a 2.25" and a 3.06" model. I am thinking that I would prefer the longer site radius of the 3" model, as it will probably get a lot of range use. The extra 1 oz. of weight won't be an issue as I plan to carry IWB. Don't know if the extra length would be uncomfortable IWB in a tucked in shirt while sitting at office most of the day, compared to the shorter model. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, pics of IWB with the SP101 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
530 Posts
They also make a SP01 in 4.2" I have it in .22lr and I love it (probably my favorite gun). It would be very easy to ccw. I hope to one day get it in .357 but I have a 686 so I cant justify it right now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I choose the SP 101 4.2", 357 mag. It's my go-to home protection choice and serves well to carry as my back-up revolver while hog hunting.

Frankly, if there is a need (and I pray there's not) to protect my family and property I think it'll serve me just fine.

And, it's a fun-gun at the range.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have both a 3" and the 2.25" and decided the 2.25" was the better carry option for me. I carry it OWB in a Bianchi and have a Badger boot grip. Makes for a very compact piece. The 3" version has fewer ready-made holster options but if you look you can find some. I had a custom OWB holster made for my 3" as I couldn't find one locally except generic nylon cheapies.

So I voted for the 2.25" - more compact, more holster options. Your point about the 3" being a bit better on the range may be valid but you did say dedicated CCW purpose so I'd keep the focus on that use.

Good luck and have fun - you've been green-lighted to go buy a new gun! That's some seriously good fun.

Wave

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Take her to a range and rent some different guns; see what she likes. My personal favorite in this category is the Sig P238.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, where I live in Maine, there are no ranges that rent firearms. Up here the term range, really means a place to go shoot. My brother-in-law has offered to let me try out his Ruger Security Six (4"), to get a feel for the firearm. Was leaning towards the 3" as I didn't know if the longer barrel, would help with 357 load and muzzle flip, plus didn't know if I would sacrifice accuracy with the shorter barrel.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Unfortunately, where I live in Maine, there are no ranges that rent firearms. Up here the term range, really means a place to go shoot. My brother-in-law has offered to let me try out his Ruger Security Six (4"), to get a feel for the firearm. Was leaning towards the 3" as I didn't know if the longer barrel, would help with 357 load and muzzle flip, plus didn't know if I would sacrifice accuracy with the shorter barrel.
What about a gun store where she could at least handle them and see what seems nice? Of course, that's not the same thing as shooting them. I feel for your situation. But definitely let her be the decision maker for her own firearm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Choices

I plan to get a SP101 soon. But, the 3 inch is a better choice for handling recoil, concealment is as easy as a 2 inch. And, I agree with the problem of the .357. I plan to get mine in .327. Almost as powerful, easier control on recoil, can shoot the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&H magnum. Cheaper ammo translates into more practice.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .327 Federal mag. Loud, very loud...Reasonable recoil, very accurate, very destructive on the targets I used.

I also have a Taurus .327 Federal mag with a 2 inch barrel. Also easy to shoot, easy to conceal as well. The recoil is almost negligible, and the cost of ammo for the .32 varieties allows lots of practice time.

SpareParts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I plan to get a SP101 soon. But, the 3 inch is a better choice for handling recoil, concealment is as easy as a 2 inch. And, I agree with the problem of the .357. I plan to get mine in .327. Almost as powerful, easier control on recoil, can shoot the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&H magnum. Cheaper ammo translates into more practice.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .327 Federal mag. Loud, very loud...Reasonable recoil, very accurate, very destructive on the targets I used.

I also have a Taurus .327 Federal mag with a 2 inch barrel. Also easy to shoot, easy to conceal as well. The recoil is almost negligible, and the cost of ammo for the .32 varieties allows lots of practice time.

SpareParts
If you want a SP101 in .327 it might be a good idea to start looking. Ruger has quit making the SP101 in .327 as per Ruger themselves. When the distributors supply is gone they will be no more restocking. Ruger still shows them on the website. But below is the email I got back when I inquired about it.

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 09/23/2012
Request No: 155674

Comment / question:

Has Ruger stopped production of the SP101 chambered in .327 Federal Magnum for all time?

Response:
Xxxxx,

The discontinuation of this model was completely a Marketing decision. Unfortunately, we have no information on the next production run of this model. Thank you for your email.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have both a 3" and the 2.25" and decided the 2.25" was the better carry option for me. I carry it OWB in a Bianchi and have a Badger boot grip. Makes for a very compact piece. The 3" version has fewer ready-made holster options but if you look you can find some. I had a custom OWB holster made for my 3" as I couldn't find one locally except generic nylon cheapies.

So I voted for the 2.25" - more compact, more holster options. Your point about the 3" being a bit better on the range may be valid but you did say dedicated CCW purpose so I'd keep the focus on that use.

Good luck and have fun - you've been green-lighted to go buy a new gun! That's some seriously good fun.

Wave
This the holster I bought for my SP101 3". After I got it broke in it is very comfortable and conceals the 3" perfectly for me.

Leather Belt Holster 4 3" Ruger SP101 | eBay

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I have a pair of 3" Sps in 38/357 & 9mm. My sister carries the snubby. I shoot them all frequently.

The extra 3/4 of an inch will make absolutely no difference in comfort of IWB carry.

It will make a big difference in sight radius and balance. The longer barrel just seems to come onto target more naturally for me, and reacquire faster.

The problem may be finding IWB for the 3", the holster options are slim.

The CompTac CTAC or MTAC holsters are comfortable, especially for long periods of wear and are made for 3" SP's.

Inside Waistband Holsters -

Practice with .38 and carry .38 +P and you'll be economically well defended.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I voted for the short model, You already said you had other full size guns and you want this as your dedicated carry gun so why not get the one that is the most compact and easy to carry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What about a gun store where she could at least handle them and see what seems nice? Of course, that's not the same thing as shooting them. I feel for your situation. But definitely let her be the decision maker for her own firearm.
Jlh820, the SP101 is meant for me not my wife. She hasn't quite got into firearms yet, and will certainly let her make the choice on which firearm she wants to purchase.

SpareParts, I had looked at the 327, but since I already load for 38 special, the 38/357 model will meet my needs better.

I stopped by a local gunshop on my lunch break today and got to handle the 2.25" model a little more, but they didn't have the 3.06" model in stock. Would like to see/handle one for comparison. The price on the one I saw today was $509.99, Cabelas had the same one in but for $512.99.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 2 1/4" carries better than the 3 1/16" IMO..
I've had them in 38spl, 9mm & 357mag & prefer the 9mm BUT for everyday use the 357mag would be hard to beat..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I voted for the 2.25. I own both barrel lengths and the shorter one concels the best and is the most comfortable. If it is mainly for CC I would also recommend the hammerless model. It comes out from under the shirt or jacket much easier. I carry OWB simply because I can't fit it comfortably IWB.

This is the best picture I have for comparison.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, and the pics. Still a tough decision, would really love to see hold the 3" model before I make the purchase. Not a huge fan of the hammerless design/look, but it would make it much easier for drawing from conceal IWB, and one less thing to jab into me.

41Red, you wouldn't happen to have pictures of the 2.25 and 3.06 models facing the same direction like the 2 in the bottom of your picture, would you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
As 41RED said the DAO hammer is the best for concealed carry as it gives a cleaner carry & it doesn't dig into your kidney if carried IWB..
I got a DAO hammer for the 2 1/4" 9mm but liked the Hogue grip the best even though it's size made the gun bigger it was the best for my hands..
Later I went with Airweight & Airlite S&Ws for concealed carry as the size & weight made carry much easier but recoil was much worse with them..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts