Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a newbie to guns but recently procured a 10/22.

I'm interested in getting a Tapco intrafuse but I haven't found any good in depth reviews that compare the two.

One odd fundamental requirement is that I want to have a solid platform that allows me to enable a "bumpinator" rapid fire mode that is shown here ==> Ruger 10/22 Bump Fire Stock. The Bumpinator. Home Made - DIY. Awesome .22 LR Firearms. 5. Rapid Fire - YouTube

That video shows the Gen1 Tapco stock. In other video they give a brief view of how they modded the Tapco slide ==> AK-47 Bumpinator Bump Fire Stock. DIY - Home Made. Slide Fire. Bumpski. omg. bump firing. shooting - YouTube

So I kinda like the more tactical look of Gen2 (OTOH it does go a little cheesey in some places) but I think I've seen some comments that the Gen2 is lighter, looser, and flimsier then the Gen1 version.
If I create a Bumpinator I would imagine that the stock is going to get rattled and flexed quite a bit and if the Gen2 is indeed flimsier, I may have problems.

Here is one video that directly talks about the lighter and looser fitting of the Gen2 ==> Tapco Intrafuse Gen 2 Tactical Trainer for the Ruger 10/22 - YouTube

Does anybody have both stocks and can address the ruggedness difference between the two? I can accept the less techy look of Gen1 if the ruggedness is substantially better.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Good question...I just got a knoxx (literally less than an hour ago) and it is better than I expected...I will say my expectations on me actually liking it were low...

Previously I have passed on all the tactical stocks in the past for a variety of reasons but mostly the the "play" in the sliding butt and the pistol grips being way too small and way too close to trigger...the flimsy fore end I knew would not be a problem...

I went ahead and got it because I like it a lot more than the other tactical stocks that can be converted to a slide-fire...and since the grip gets re-done anyway...why not...

The receiver compartment is a snug fit...nice...

It is incredibly light...I have an aluminum barrel and also just got a trs-25 red dot too...

I am thinking even if I don't like the slide fire which was my primary reason for getting this knoxx and the red dot both that I will like this stock just fine with a modified grip and once I have the LOP to my liking I will lock it up tight and add a cheek rest and that will be it...

So either way I am happy slide fire or no slide fire...

Sorry I can't tell you which tapco and it might be next year before I get around to trying the slide fire with this one...but I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use the knoxx now that I have one or an ATI which appeals to me a lot more than the tapco...

·
Registered
129 Posts
stock

The Tapco stock you want is called the Intrafuse T6. I just built two and they work very nicely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
fun gun

The 10 22 trigger pull stock is anywhere from 5 to 8 pounds, way too much. In the first one, I used a Volquartsen target hammer with a Powers Custom competition sear, polished my trigger return pin and drilled and tapped the trigger for an overtravel screw. My trigger pull is now a consistent one and a half pounds. Both of these trigger groups are the older ones, not the plastic ones. As far as ammo, it seems to be about feet per second. Runs good with 1260 fps, better with 1435 fps. I ordered some Aguila Super Max (1750 fps) and some CCI Stingers (1640 fps) and I think these will really make her sing! As far as mags, so far just the BX25's. Alot more R&D to do but that is half of the fun!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Kev thanks for the info...

I have the VQ hammer/spring and a PC adjustable sear...pull is 3.5 lbs and right where I like it...I too drilled and tapped my trigger for a stop...that is why I asked...wasn't sure if that would help or hurt...I figured the stop and sear adjustment SHOULD help and not hurt but you never know...I don't think the pull weight is too important for the bump fire either way but I could be wrong about that...

I am wondering if there is a "trick" to removing the butt from these things...not sure if they are all the same butt I know I can capture the threaded stud with needle nose pliers and remove the round nut with grips...however...if there is a simple way to release the catch so the butt can slide off the tube that would be nice...

Figuring on doing a cheap and easy version first similar to Matt's but later plan to make a whole new butt-slide/bump stock from scratch...from Walnut...with a lot of heel drop and high cheek rest...also plan to mount the red dot to the butt/stock instead of the receiver so the sight is stable...it won't have tack-driving accuracy but should be much easier to hold on target since it is the rest of the gun moving around with the butt more solid against the shoulder...so while it probable won't shoot 1" groups at 50 yards that way it should be much easier to shoot relatively small groups at 25 yards...the way they are doing it now either with no sights or the sights moving all over the place doesn't seem to be to practical imo...of course I could be wrong about that...it is just what I am thinking based on the videos I have seen so far...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Removing the butt stock on my Tapco T6 gave me fits too. So, I grabbed a beer, looked it over, and watched that spring loaded stud rise when I pressed the release. I noticed that when fully compressed, there was a small gap at the rear of the stud. I put a small flat screwdriver blade in that gap, released the release lever, and viola, that same gap appeared at the front side of the stud. I then inserted another small flat blade screwdriver here, compressed the release lever, and the butt stock finally slid right off. I did NOT take that spring loaded spring off, since it has a pin through it that would have to be removed. And that just won't happen with my ' old fart eyes '.

You may have to do this a couple of times, each time pushing the ramped blade of the screwdriver further in (up?), but eventually you will have lifted that spring loaded stud high enough to clear the stop at the rear of the tube.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the smooth side one that used to be called the T6 and now is called the standard stock system (the one with the sides that look milled out is called the tactical trainer now).

I love mine, it's held up great, very comfortable, light, and just plain fun. The one thing I did add was the Tactical Solutions long lever mag release, makes mag changes quicker and easier without even having to look down

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the smooth side one that used to be called the T6 and now is called the standard stock system (the one with the sides that look milled out is called the tactical trainer now).

I love mine, it's held up great, very comfortable, light, and just plain fun. The one thing I did add was the Tactical Solutions long lever mag release, makes mag changes quicker and easier without even having to look down
Same here, and a Volquartsen auto bolt release too. Now, it's good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks everybody for the good info so far. It certainly seems as though the T6 standard works. Still looking for that ultimate T6 vs Tactical comparison.

I should have known it wouldn't be as easy as just making the T6 into a slide-fire clone.

I now see additionally...

• PC sear $25
  • Looks like I should stop stocking Federal champion (1260fps)

Maybe it would have been cheaper to buy the full-auto version they had at Walmart? :D

And oh yeah.... c'mon wheres the pics or videos???

·
Registered
129 Posts
tapco stock

To take the butt stock off of your Tapco stock you just pick up on the adjuster handle. Instead of squeezing the handle like you would to adjust the length of pull, you pick up on the long side (same side you squeeze) and this pulls the pin far enough out of the adjustment holes to slide the butt off.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah my knoxx works the same way of course... :D

The trick on mine is to have it held "open" in the normal way with pin not in locking hole and then rock the lever back in the opposite direction to pull the pin all the way clear...

Had to fiddle with it quite a bit to figure out the trick but once you know how/where to hold the lever it will come off very easily...

Probably in the instructions I threw away w/o looking at them...

Everybody knows instructions are for people who don't know what they are doing...therefore they are of no use us... :D

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well I did a really quick one just to get a feel for things on the knoxx...

Ran pretty good considering all I had were golden bullets...

All I did so far (that has been tested) was take a piece of 1"x1/4" flat aluminum bar and bolt it to the existing hole in the butt and added another hole toward the front of the butt to secure it and cut it match the trigger...

Just held it w/o touching the pistol grip which was still attached as it came out the box...

IN the process of making a much gooder one now... because that was fun... :D

However, There is NO practical or tactical value in the slide fire imo...even with a good one...it's not like a real auto-fire where all you have to do is pull the trigger...

The Knoxx stock with aluminum barrel and red dot is so light it is unreal... :D

However...none of the tactical stocks are comfortable to hold and shoot imo including the knoxx so my main reason for doing a better one is simply to have a better fitting stock to me regardless of slide fire or not...

I see no reason why it would matter which of the sliding butt-stocks one chose with the exception that as I see it the tapco has one distinct advantage of having a bolt-on pistol grip...minor but significant detail...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the Tapco Tactical Trainer kit. Ultimately, I returned it. The rail that mounted over the barrel was a deal breaker for me. I did not want to have to unscrew it every time I was going to clean my 10/22.

Instead, I chose the Archangel Deluxe target stock. It does not have any piece that goes over the barrel making it as easy to remove as the factory stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts