Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i truly TRULY don't mean this as a political thread, so please don't go there with it, or i (and/or admin) will just yank it).

i'm thinking in terms of policy a little bit but personality, mostly: which president do you think you'd most enjoy spending the evening with, shooting the breeze about whatever?

for me, without a doubt, it would be theodore roosevelt. in spite of the fact that we affiliate(d) with opposing political parties, almost all of my core intellectual and outdoors values line up with his.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
None

My choice would be Robert E. Lee just for the chance to try and understand the way folks believed that they were more obligated to their state than the country back in that day & time.

·
Registered
815 Posts
None. I like to enjoy myself while eating and don't want to pollute a meal with slimebags, though if forced to choose I'd pick George Washington-he could talk about hemp farming and beer making

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
None is my first reaction too.

However, in the spirt of the thread, though diametrical political philosophical opposites, I believe an evening with either John Adams or Thomas Jefferson would have made for interesting conversation and lively discussion.

If I have to narrow it to one of the two, I'd choose an evening at Monticello with Mr. Jefferson. :) :)

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
GWB for me. He may not have been the best president, but I think he had an interesting presidency and he reminds me a bit of my dad.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
There are only five of them alive, so that narrows down the choices. An evening with a dead guy sounds boring. :D

Hanging out with Clinton would be a good way to meet chicks, but I'm married so that's probably a bad idea. So maybe GHW Bush would be interesting to talk to about WWII, Reagan, and the CIA.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Reagan-Hands down!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Thomas Jefferson ... he was interested in more than just politics and enjoyed entertaining his guests.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Teddy Roosevelt (probably good for a thousand exaggerated stories) or Harry Truman ( the decision to drop the Bomb would be enlightening).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Reagan, I friend of mine was his urologist at Mayo Clinic and said he misses spending time with him. He tells some great stories about their time together as limited as it was.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Reagan-Hands down!
I agree. Ronald Reagan. I have a copy of his personal diary written during his presidency and it reveals an interesting man who meant to do well.

I've also read that he treated his Secret Service agents well, which was not the case with many presidents.

Dinner with him (if Nancy wasn't looking) would probably have been a steak and some of his favorite mac and cheese.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would have to say John F Kennedy simply because I would like to know what the Democratic party was like before they were corrupted by the Progressive(Communist) movement. Also good ol Ronald Regan just to hear the stories!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I did not support Obama but he is the perfect guy to have a light, interesting night of fast flowing BS with interesting stories and yarns.

I don't drink but I remember the gregarious guys who were great around a table shooting the crap when the beer and food were plentiful. Obama would be a perfect gin mill buddy and the evening would be great fun!

You could have a lively evening and go home not believing a word of what you heard!

Flash

1 - 20 of 62 Posts