Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a red dot for my AR-556. I'm on a budget, so Aimpoints, ACOG's and the like need not apply.

I'm debating between two from Vortex, the Strikefire 2 and the Sparc 2. The Strikefire is $179, is substantially larger, has a 4 MOA dot, and the dot can be set for red or green.

The Sparc is $199, has a 2 MOA dot, and is red dot only. I have looked through both sights in the store, and both give me a bright, clear view, with a sharp dot.

Which one is the better choice, and why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's funny. I've decided on one of the same two sights for my AR556. I'm not able to check any out locally, but it seems the biggest difference is the dot size. I'll be following this post for sure!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put a Sparc II on my M & P 15 Sport last year and love it. Maybe my experience is unusual, but I didn't even have to adjust it after installation. It was dead on at 100 yds.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I own both. As you stated the main difference is size. Side of dot and overall size of the tube.

You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I have StrikeFires, I would like a Sparc. Get whichever you want and the one that seems to fit you best. They're both solid choices. I like Vortex in general.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the Sparc II on my Tavor and I am very happy with it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Smaller dot size for more distant shooting ... larger dot for closer shooting or handguns.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
I love the strikefire II, I have used several on builds for others and myself. I perfer the bright red, but have a red /green version also. Shots at 25 yards to 200 yards are very easy on the 12" steel gong. I also own the high end eotechs, aimpoints and others, I also consider them pretty equal, except for price. Here is one of my recent builds with a strike fire II and included 1/3 cowitness cantilever that it comes with. Very functional.;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you're going with a lightweight build, I say get the Sparc. Another option is to look at the Primary Arms Micro Dots. They are well built and priced a bit below the sparc.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're going with a lightweight build, I say get the Sparc. Another option is to look at the Primary Arms Micro Dots. They are well built and priced a bit below the sparc.
Thanks. I've looked at the Primary Arms stuff. If I recall correctly, though, their products do not have nearly the warranty that Vortex offers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks. I've looked at the Primary Arms stuff. If I recall correctly, though, their products do not have nearly the warranty that Vortex offers.

You are correct. I truly believe that Vortex has the best warranty in the industry. However, my 2 primary arms micro dots have taken many beatings and are still dead on. I just wanted to give you another option. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i really like Vortex optics
i have a diamondback HP on my 308 bolt gun which woks really great
I also have a primary arms micro dot on my Arsenal SGL-21 AKM, and it works really well and holds zero through hundreds of rounds no problem. its a great microdot.

but this is what i plan to put on my AR
vortex strike eagle. 1-6x24 with AR-BDC reticle
a little more expensive, but i think more usefull for ranges longer than 100 yards.
Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle Riflescopes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts