Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To continue with the fine discussion concerning stag grips, here is one of my stories.

I saw this used Ruger Vaquero .45 in a gun shop, with these handsome stag grips:

Now I had little use for a .45 Vaquero with 7 1/2" barrel, but I bought it and took it home. Soon I had ordered a pair of replacement grips from Brownell's and had them on the gun:

Well, soon the gun was on the auction block and sold. This left me with a pair of grips for which I had no gun, this being the New Vaquero which has a different grip that current Blackhawks. So, wnt out and bought myself a .44 Special Flat Top Blackhawk:

Then, with a little work with a proper fitting screwdriver:

The grips are unmarked and the widow who brought the gun into the shop had no idea where they came from.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
443 Posts
Those look good on there. Nice job on making them work. :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Look great on your SA. If I my take the liberty to expand this thread so we can see others; these are India Sambar Stag grips.:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look great on your SA. If I my take the liberty to expand this thread so we can see others; these are India Sambar Stag grips.:)

(Photo deleted.)
Any thread I post is welcome to comment. Few things I enjoy more than conversation/photos concerning the handgun!

Thanks for joining in.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
276 Posts
I admire a man knowing what he wants and then goes about making it happen. Those grips look great on the flattop. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everybody. I believe by posting this question I'm hijacking this thread but I can't figure out where to ask this question. I'm interested in buying a pair of stag grips for my 44 special blackhawk and I can't find out how to know if they are legit. Can someone please let me know their opinion and if you can gauge what they are worth. Again, I apologize if I'm breaking any rules here. I'm not one to post questions but I'm aware there is a TON of knowledge here and I could use a piece of it. Thanks in advance. I'm curious if they are actually Ruger grips.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,154 Posts
Billy 357, Your grips appear to be real stag but I doubt if they are actual Ruger grips. The true Ruger stag grips I've seen have more "bark" and are thicker in the middle and more yellow colored. The insides of both panels are flat …. no diamond shape cutout. Quite a few grip makers have produced nice stag grips and have used Ruger medallions so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. About the only way to tell for sure is to compare yours with a known authentic set of Ruger grips.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bob

Do you know who made those grips.

Lowegan

Aren't those diamond shape cutouts to avoid any conflict with those crazy internal locks Ruger once used.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm a big fan of stags. Most are Elk from Grashorn, some are real. I have since soaked the elks in coffee, making them look aged. Some day I'll get another group pic.
Sambar on the Colts

Elk on the Remington's.

Elk on all the Rugers, except the short barreled Super 41, which has Sambar.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Veeman

looks like stag heaven to me, what a great collection you have. Question for yea, just how long of a coffee soak did you give those elk grips.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,154 Posts
JPGLSG, That's what I thought too. True Ruger stags were made back when Old Models were still being manufactured so that's another reason why I think they are aftermarket grips.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts