Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Veeman

looks like stag heaven to me, what a great collection you have. Question for yea, just how long of a coffee soak did you give those elk grips.
Uh, um, well, I don't recall actually. I know it was at least a day, and then had them on a rack to dry for a few days. It's been a few years since I did it. They were really rough when the got dry, but regular handling smooths them up. I read about soaking them in coffee in a thread in this forum so maybe a search might help the timeline. Sorry I couldn't be much help in that regard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a great set of stags for my SBH. Beautiful but will abrade the hand. These grips will be left as is until some solution comes that does not modify the grips. Right now, I'm using the wooden grips. Meditation continues on this dilemma.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,718 Posts
Now I know what the .44 Special NM Blackhawk will wear, if the old fellow who had it brings it to the next show. I will buy it if he does.

And that S&W DA snub with the Sambar grips? Amazing look. No modern gun looks half that cool to me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Here is a picture of the backs of two grips. One is stag and one is plastic stag. Guess which one is the plastic? It doesn't take a genius, even without the labels.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Horn/bone/stag grips look good on any revolver. All nice grips and photos here. I dressed up my 1955 Early Chiefs Special with genuine India Sambar Stags some years back.:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I invested in a set of Elk Sag grips for my Service Six... I mentioned that I liked a set of Herrett grips I had because of how they helped with the recoil because they were a bit wider than the stock grips that came on my gun. He did his magic and he sent me these. Indeed this is proof that fat bottom girls make the world go round. Super comfy even with full house .357's... She is not a safe queen or a BBQ princess. I love to CCW this gun and I'll run a few rounds down range on a regular basis. Kudos to Sack Peterson on doing an excellent job. Worth the wait for a quality set of grips.

·
Registered
458 Posts
No stag here to my REGRET! Always liked them alot. Have 1 ported SA with what looks like thin bone panels, pretty roughly done but have kept them on for some reason. Quite a bit of glue on them, came that way. Will post image sometime, see if a member might give opinion on what it actually is.

Always wore this gun while doing ranch work on couple of wooly hunting properties once had access to for many years, near both Lampasas and Crowell in TX .... digging irrigation ditches, cutting cedar breaks and thorney mesquite for the rancher's cattle too. Its just collected sweat and grease stains over many years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love stag grips on Old Model Blackhawks (especially Flatops) and Colt SAAs and all sorts of knives too!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Veeman

looks like stag heaven to me, what a great collection you have. Question for yea, just how long of a coffee soak did you give those elk grips.
Just remembered, it was on Sack Peterson's web site for his sale of stag grips. I was looking for something else and found it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
PLEASE DO! I could get hooked on stag grips real easy like. Like so many other projects on this forum, that is REAL TALENT.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Veeman

Here is a before/after pic of the same grip after an overnight soaking in coffee. I asked the wife how long it soaked cuz I couldn't remember. I do remember leaving them set on a rack to dry for 3 days. I did this to 9 set's of elk grips. Did not try it on Sambar stag's, they are a bit too expensive to experiment on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That aged those grips a 100 years....I like it, I like that look at lot. Who gave you this recipe, what brand of coffee, was it cold or warm when you stated the soak, did you use cream and sugar. Ask the Wife her approximate soak time you left them, over night ???, I've got the three day drying time. I need precise details please.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just a regular 8 cup pot of regular cold Folger's, overnight, approximately 12 hour soak. I recall the longer the soak the darker the finish. It was on Sack Peterson's website that the directions were on, but it's not there now.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just a regular 8 cup pot of regular cold Folger's, overnight, approximately 12 hour soak. I recall the longer the soak the darker the finish. It was on Sack Peterson's website that the directions were on, but it's not there now.
I wouldn't think it would take a rocket scientist to do it. Just stick them in the coffee and check once in a while, like maybe hourly. If they are not dark enough for you leave them in for another hour.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts