Ruger Forum banner

While on the subject of stag grips.............

8K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Oldwolf 
#1 ·
To continue with the fine discussion concerning stag grips, here is one of my stories.

I saw this used Ruger Vaquero .45 in a gun shop, with these handsome stag grips:

Now I had little use for a .45 Vaquero with 7 1/2" barrel, but I bought it and took it home. Soon I had ordered a pair of replacement grips from Brownell's and had them on the gun:

Well, soon the gun was on the auction block and sold. This left me with a pair of grips for which I had no gun, this being the New Vaquero which has a different grip that current Blackhawks. So, wnt out and bought myself a .44 Special Flat Top Blackhawk:

Then, with a little work with a proper fitting screwdriver:

The grips are unmarked and the widow who brought the gun into the shop had no idea where they came from.

Bob Wright

See less See more
#12 ·
Hello everybody. I believe by posting this question I'm hijacking this thread but I can't figure out where to ask this question. I'm interested in buying a pair of stag grips for my 44 special blackhawk and I can't find out how to know if they are legit. Can someone please let me know their opinion and if you can gauge what they are worth. Again, I apologize if I'm breaking any rules here. I'm not one to post questions but I'm aware there is a TON of knowledge here and I could use a piece of it. Thanks in advance. I'm curious if they are actually Ruger grips.

Attachments

#13 ·
Billy 357, Your grips appear to be real stag but I doubt if they are actual Ruger grips. The true Ruger stag grips I've seen have more "bark" and are thicker in the middle and more yellow colored. The insides of both panels are flat …. no diamond shape cutout. Quite a few grip makers have produced nice stag grips and have used Ruger medallions so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. About the only way to tell for sure is to compare yours with a known authentic set of Ruger grips.

#17 ·
I'm a big fan of stags. Most are Elk from Grashorn, some are real. I have since soaked the elks in coffee, making them look aged. Some day I'll get another group pic.
Sambar on the Colts

Elk on the Remington's.

Elk on all the Rugers, except the short barreled Super 41, which has Sambar.

#21 ·
Uh, um, well, I don't recall actually. I know it was at least a day, and then had them on a rack to dry for a few days. It's been a few years since I did it. They were really rough when the got dry, but regular handling smooths them up. I read about soaking them in coffee in a thread in this forum so maybe a search might help the timeline. Sorry I couldn't be much help in that regard.

#19 ·
JPGLSG, That's what I thought too. True Ruger stags were made back when Old Models were still being manufactured so that's another reason why I think they are aftermarket grips.

#30 ·
I invested in a set of Elk Sag grips for my Service Six... I mentioned that I liked a set of Herrett grips I had because of how they helped with the recoil because they were a bit wider than the stock grips that came on my gun. He did his magic and he sent me these. Indeed this is proof that fat bottom girls make the world go round. Super comfy even with full house .357's... She is not a safe queen or a BBQ princess. I love to CCW this gun and I'll run a few rounds down range on a regular basis. Kudos to Sack Peterson on doing an excellent job. Worth the wait for a quality set of grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.