Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was about to order a barrel and noticed that the site says to pay trough pay pal and just write in what you want. Seems kinda shady for a legit buisness. Also I read that their barrels are just a sleve over a normal barrel. Now I am having second thoughts. Still looking for a 20" Matte black .920 fluted barrel.

Talk to me guys.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Like any of the aluminum barrels, it's a shrouded core. Be kinda short-lived having an all aluminum one. As for the ordering process, no worries. Have ordered 3 or 4 from them and will order more. Simply follow they example and be clear what you want. Simply WAY to many options to have each example listed separately. They're fantastic barrels and have always gone above & beyond in their service for me.
Try a search here, and elsewhere, and you'll see you can go with WP with confidence.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Whistle Pig is NOT shady...

PayPal is as secure with buyer protection as any cc...Whistle Pig could and should run a pay now with paypal website...it would increase their sales a lot...the extra ordering step is more trouble but their products are unique with a limited market...lack of mass market means lack of mass market convenience...a minor detail if they have what you want...

If you have to have 18" fluted but don't care about weight get a Green Mountain Steel barrel for less and probably more accurate...

If you have to have light weight AND 18" barrel get a Whistle Pig...

If you want light weight as your highest priority and willing to use a 16" barrel like me then MidwayUSA has the same Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel I have on sale for $159...

I don't know how long the aluminum barrels last...I see no reason after at least 3,000 rounds thru mine they should not last as long as any other...

If I was getting a new barrel for myself today I would want a Whistle Pig 17" compensated barrel...I didn't know then what I do know now which is the muzzle flip from high and hyper velocity ammo is significant in an aluminum barrel whereas it is barely noticed with a steel bull barrel...also...I hadn't considered the fact that the muzzle brake being cut into the barrel itself is seal-able and there fore would not have stopped me from using it in SBS matches...it would have been better for me all things considered...

No regrets what so ever on my TacSol barrel...it's exactly what I expected...but I would switch over if I could...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with blkhawk. They are a great barrel and easy to deal with if I remeber though you can also call them to place your order. but it has been a few yrs since I called them. Might have to build another 10/22 so I can find out if that is still an opion.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If you have to have 18" fluted but don't care about weight get a Green Mountain Steel barrel for less and probably more accurate...
Wouldn't count on the GM being more accurate than the WP but it does greatly depend on ammo selection and set-up. I know my WP barrels get better results than my GM barrels.

I don't know how long the aluminum barrels last...I see no reason after at least 3,000 rounds thru mine they should not last as long as any other...
Even that TS barrel is an aluminum shroud over a steel center. Aluminum wouldn't handle the use w/o having erosion and friction war issues.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes it is exactly the same concept as an aluminum cylinder in a motor...they have steel sleeves...the aluminum is not a wear item...they come apart at 450F...which your gun is not going to ever see...especially with the heat dissipation of an aluminum bull barrel...

My point is that there is nothing to worry about mechanically with the aluminum barrels...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So I was about to order a barrel and noticed that the site says to pay trough pay pal and just write in what you want. Seems kinda shady for a legit buisness. Also I read that their barrels are just a sleve over a normal barrel. Now I am having second thoughts. Still looking for a 20" Matte black .920 fluted barrel.

Talk to me guys.
It boils down to weight...if don't care about the weight...why pay for aluminum...

Aluminum barrel is going to be half the weight and a lot more expensive...

If you want light weight... Whistle Pig is the only one making an aluminum barrel 20" long that I am aware of...

I would get the compensated barrel if it were me...

And IMO...the light weight barrel is worth the extra $$$...but if you are going to mount it on a bi-pod and shoot off a table at paper the extra weight of the steel barrel is an advantage and they cost a lot less...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It boils down to weight...if don't care about the weight...why pay for aluminum...

Aluminum barrel is going to be half the weight and a lot more expensive...

If you want light weight... Whistle Pig is the only one making an aluminum barrel 20" long that I am aware of...

I would get the compensated barrel if it were me...

And IMO...the light weight barrel is worth the extra $$$...but if you are going to mount it on a bi-pod and shoot off a table at paper the extra weight of the steel barrel is an advantage and they cost a lot less...

It's not necessarily weight that your paying for. You're also, hopefully, paying for a better chamber cut and better rifling work, fit and finish as well. Not all of the light weight barrels are better nor worth their price. There's some that are marketed on their "material" and weight and not the performance. There's also some steel barrels that will be more expensive than even the better aluminum ones. You get what you pay for in those.
One simply needs to decide what aspect is more important, weight or performance. You could certainly buy a light weight barrel but have less than stellar results. On the other end of the spectrum, you could buy a heavy stainless barrel that's extremely accurate. None is cut & dry. One simply needs to decide what aspects are more important than others, figure a budget and where to put the money. Basically work backwards from what you want as an end result.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am more concerned about consistent accuracy than weight. I have it on a bipod and when standing am more than able to hold the weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts