Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue making my shopping list/buying my components I am back to the barrel choice. I am looking for a black matte 20-24 inch fluted barrel. Whistle Pig was suggested and I have viewed their site. They have what I am looking for at a reasonable price. Now I would like to hear from those that have used their products. I myself had not heard from them before so I want to make sure that I am looking at a quality company/product. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
They have a very good reputation...

I almost bought a Whistle Pig barrel...

To the best of my knowledge there are only two manufacturers that make aluminum barrels for the 10/22...

Tactical Solutions and Whistle Pig...

For me I wanted the shortest and lightest SBR legal barrel barrel I could get...

That actually would have been the Tactical Solutions SBX barrel...however, I was not sure about the accuracy of the 12" barrel at 100 yards...plus the cost is very high for that barrel...the weight reduction over their standard barrel was not enough to justify the cost and possible lack of accuracy to me...so I got their standard barrel...

The other consideration for me was small bore silhouette rules prohibit the use of a muzzle brake...if it was not for the fact that I was hoping to be able to use this 10/22 for that (in addition to all around fun shooting/hunting of all types 22cal) I would have paid a bit more and gone thru more time/hassle to get a Whistle Pig compensated 17" barrel...the TacSol was on the shelf locally...the Whistle Pig has to be ordered to suit...

As for light weight with best accuracy...the compensated long barrel Whistle Pig is the best and only answer I know of...

Having said that...I have come to the conclusion that no aluminum barrel is going to be as accurate as a heavy steel one especially if all other things are kept equal...

Since I don't have a long barrel compensated Whistle Pig aluminum barrel nor a long heavy steel barrel with same chambering/rifling to compare to I cannot say for certain...

However...if you compare a compensated longer aluminum barrel to a shorter steel barrel the accuracy is probably similar and the aluminum is much lighter...

Since I like lighter...and compensated...I personally would go with the Whistle Pig...

Also...they offer octagonal barrels...which might not appeal on looks...but I bet good money they are stiffer and more accurate...speculation on my part...

Now...if I was going to be shooting exclusively from a rest and wanted the most accurate gun possible...I would be looking at steel 20" barrels....

I am NOT an expert but did look hard at Whistle Pig and did buy and use a lot an aluminum barrel...

My gun currently shoots under 2" groups at 100 meters with a 2-7x28mm scope...best so far is 1.6"...with Federal Game Shok high velocity 40gr cprn ammo...

Not great...but my barrel weighs 1/2 as much as the factory barrel and far far less then a long heavy bull barrel...a trade I had no choice but to make as my primary concern is off hand shooting...

So it boils down to how much accuracy you want/need at what distance and how much weight you want or don't want...

Bench rest...heavy is better...

Hunting/off hand shooting of all kinds... IMO... if you are doing those things with a 22 is should be light weight and not hunting at ranges beyond typical 22 anyway...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I have 3 or 4 currently and all have been top-notch quality on quality, finish, and performance. They're fantastic to work with as well. The first one I got was used by a co-worker for a local shoot. With only 100 or so shots through it, he used Wolf Target ammo and was easily hitting 1/2 dollars and quarters at 100 yes. Haven't really got the others to the range for a good sit-down "see what it can do" session. Pleased enough, another of the planned builds will be getting a WP as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whistle Pig Barrel

I bought a WP barrel for my first (and only) 10/22 build. The barrel looks great, it's very lightweight, I've shot it twice and it's extremely accurate (far more accurate than this shooter), and Louis, the guy at WP, was a delight to work with. Go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts