Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks - having a lot of fun with my Charger lately... scavenged a receiver, bolt, and chassis, then popped for a WhistlePig barrel from the folks in Aurora, OR...

(btw, 'Louis,' at WhistlePig was very good on customer service, responding to email, etc. - barrel was shipped USPS Priority but didn't arrive for a week [most likely due to ground vs air shipment down here to the near Tropics])

This is a 10" fluted and threaded barrel. It is aluminum with a steel sleeve and weighs about 10 oz. According to the company, some break-in is required, with cleaning every 25 rounds for the first 100 rounds, so I made sure to take some CLP and bore patches with me to the range. One nice thing about 10/22 Takedowns, and especially the Charger, is the ease of cleaning. Much easier than breaking down an automatic pistol or revolver!

The Acculite barrel does not come with a Takedown locking mechanism (usually available for $50 or so as parts), so the first job was to remove the old mechanism on the factory blued barrel, As most of you know, you must depress the locking plunger, then at the same time pull the plunger pin - being careful not to let the plunger fly out, as it is under pressure. You can then access the 9/64ths hex button-head short bolts holding the mechanism to the barrel. Reassembly is the reverse, and I made sure to put blue Loctite (242) on the short bolts:

I probably wouldn't over-torque the bolts, as you may strip the aluminum threads (I wonder how many folks do that with these barrels?). The result is a nice looking package, and I consider the barrel broken in after a range session of 200 rounds of Aguila and CCI SV LRN at 25 yards:

NOTE: The Acculite barrel will not fit the standard Ruger Charger Takedown poly stock. Fortunately, the PMACA chassis supports standard factory taper and bull barrels with no problem.

I look forward to lots of fun range time with my 'new' Charger Takedown pig whistler!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,688 Posts
Thanks for sharing your project. That looks like a good shooting combination. Show us some pics of the gun assembled. Happy rimfire shooting!

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOOKING GOOD Linux, would appreciate "when done" pics, and pics of paper down range, please and Thank you. As I'm gathering ideas.
As always shoot safe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey folks... here's a later range pic after i got the formula for absolute cowitness: UTG rear peep (drilled out to 5/32"), TRS 25, and NDS (Nodak Spud) 23 .920 front sight (uses SKS adjustment tool):

fully extended w/pistol brace and barrel attached:

which compacts nicely due to the UTG folding adapter:

i'm pretty happy with my Franken Charger TD!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

1 - 5 of 5 Posts