Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay folks...

I have a Fajen plastic stock that I made a custom cheek rest for and am now covering it in leather wrap...

Going to dye the leather black...

Plan on doing some artwork and leaning hard on a Ruger emblem embossed and painted white on the black background...

However...just starting to tinker with the art work and tooling for the emblem...

This is just a 'rough sketch' I did quickly to get an idea of what size and details of artwork I want to do etc...

I have been around the block with leather a few times and done my share of tooling...by no means a craftsmen skill level nor am I an artist...

So...for those if you with leather carving and artist skills who want to show your work for reference of throw out some ideas for artwork or whatever while I am in the process of doing this project that would be great...

I also considering a custom emblem that sorta of looks like the Ruger emblem but is both unique and simpler...simpler is better and easier to get the details to look good...

Work in progress...so don't critique the emblem shown in this pic is is just the leather equivalent of doodling on a piece of scrap...If I go with this design the finished emblem would be much mo betta... :D:D:D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the wrap being molded to the stock...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still looking for samples of anyone who has done this or similar on a holster/case/whatever or suggestions for alternative artwork etc...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since I need this thing wrapped and done for now I decided to just go with a quick and easy one...

It will get died black and the embossing painted white...

To make the whole thing look good I'll have to do lot's work on the stock itself and then make the wrap out of multiple pieces...

I have at least three more stocks to do...they are simpler and I don't need them done anytime soon so I'll refine it as I go...maybe get back to this one later...the artwork needs a lot more detail and better craftsmanship but for now this will have to do...

Let me know if you guys like the concept for the artwork...it says Ruger to me even if not true to the Ruger hawk and I kind of crossed an AR style front sight with the hawk...

Anyway...

Still interested in examples/ideas from others who have done same or similar sort of things...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very cool idea!
Thank you... execution is the hard part... :D

It is turning out passable so far...the comfort factor is 10 on scale of 1-10...

Looks... hmmm... it's never gonna be 1st class due to lack of skill on my part...

When I do one for the DSP factory stock for this gun it will be a lot easier and come out a lot better...

Got it died black...need to get some paint/brushes and hope the embossing looks half way to decent when I am done cuz this unit is going to be done sooner than later...got some shooting to do... :D

Still looking for suggestions/ideas/examples etc...

--------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As it turns out I made the artwork way too big to be painted...it looks like 3rd grade classroom Halloween decoration painted...plus I never painted leather before and didn't do the right prep...so it is a black hawk 10/22 until it comes up for a redo...

Added a sling mount to the wrap and installed a new butt pad...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I need to make a leather sling for it...

If any of you have made your own leather slings please show em off...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you...

I need to put up pics of the other side...it's not pretty...but it does show the contours that I found to fit incredibly well...

I did it last summer and still very happy with the comfort level...

The only problem I run into with this stuff is I keep screwing with different eye levels and finding that it is paying off to have different stocks for different iron/dot/scope options...because once the eye level is set perfect for one sighting option...changing to a different sight option even if it's very close is just NFG...

I am 100% locked in on using what I call the "Cleckner' method for setting the eye level...I like it so much I don't just take his advice...I take it to the fullest extend I can achieve...to that extent I not only want the eye level perfected but to be unable to move my head out of place from the natural fit...

The ultimate...imo...is not to be able to shoulder the gun without having it automatically lock you in tight by simply tilting your head fully forward with adjusting to the sights or scope...

It is simple...but not easily done...

I am currently working on a very simple add on to my DSP stock for a specific sight option...that being the low mount Williams peep sight with an eye level approximately 7/8" above the center of the bore...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts