Ruger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Hey max you asked about the tanks, 3rd armored 2 m1 abrams, 2 bradleys in fde on NW, and NS flatcars. Took the pic just for you. Seen them come by the house just like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Netflix - Broadchurch - Blacklist - Longmire are worth checking out.
Blacklist is still running on NBC but I prefer waiting till it's on Netflix, no crummy commercials....

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You know that brought back a funny memory. A few months back one of the trains was hauling a load of m1 abrams tanks, it stopped on the line thats 600 yards from my house. Wife asked i wonder what they are doing, without a smirk replied delivering the tanks i ordered, too big for the ups truck!
Up where I live now, CN runs coal trains through to the Mississippi for coal barges and always has a "pusher" in the middle and sometimes one on the end. They're limited to 35 MPH. They also haul alcohol from a fairly new ethanol plant East of here. They've also been doing a lot of track laying which is really something to watch. A few years back they brought a track grinder through to smooth out the rail. Talk about dirty and smelled of iron grindings, it was a slow moving cloud of dust. Every time they went over a road crossing a guy would step out and spray water over the ties so they wouldn't start burning. Got to see it working at night, it was quite the light show.

No tanks on that line (have seen Hummers and some trucks), but we see Deere and some Cat equipment. Deere Tractor works is about an hour West of here and they have a construction plant about an hour East.

About 15 years ago during the Winter they put a coal train in the dirt. It was amazing how quick they had a cleanup crew on site, cleaned up, new rail set and moving again with-in a couple days.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
So todays pic is of my "holding wall" where i keep my locomotives that are waiting for duty. You can see i have a mixture of locomtive, road names. Have another wall setup with my csx, santa fe, and burlington northern stuff.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Figured id add another, here is one of the houses on my layout and a shipping terminal. Look closely behind the house and you can see a barbecue going on with friends, and the dog stealing a steak from the grill. I also have a repkica of my car i own parked in the driveway, a mustang 5.0 gt foxbody that was 3d printed.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Todays post is my local piggly wiggly grocery store with animated lighting. This is a staple in my community so a no brainer to add.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Tacky, I like your mix of vehicles, a little of everything. Seems they all leak oil though!

Greg
He does have a great eye for attention to detail.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Tacky, I like your mix of vehicles, a little of everything. Seems they all leak oil though!

Greg
You know its funny you say that. Man its hard to find modern vehicles in 1/87 that are detailed enough for a model railroad. Most you find are pre 60's so that makes it hard to model things as a current or modern day. I have a few old ones but usually when i find a newer model i grab it. Its really hard to find pickup trucks like a 1990's+ silverado, gmc, dodge and no nissan, or toyota makes. I did find a company that makes modern fords, f250,f350, expeditions service trucks and pickups called river point station. They are detalied but $30 each. I have a few on my layout. Here is a few of my fords an f350 regular cab, and hi rail f450 service truck. Yes i did the oil leaks since most parking lots have oil stained spaces, just trying to replicate reality. (y)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Tacky,

Look for Diecast Construction Model Replica websites. First Gear, DHS, RF Ferguson come to mind. There are quite a few once you get to looking. They have models (diecast) in many makes and brands in 1/87th scale. 1/50th is the most popular of most collectors. Norscot (might have been bought out) had a fair variety of Deere & Cat at one time and were "reasonably" detailed in 1/87th. Other brands I've seen Semi-Lowboy trailers, dump trucks, a variety of construction equipment all in 1/87th, there is a big following for construction models. Might try the Farm equipment too.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
If you’re gonna model Fords then yeah, the oil leaks are necessary.
I can say that, that is a true statement my 93 gt does have a drip pan under it in the garage. My GMC's do not. My daily beater honda does but it has 435k on it so i expect it to drip a little, original motor too. So that is a true statement.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Tacky,

Look for Diecast Construction Model Replica websites. First Gear, DHS, RF Ferguson come to mind. There are quite a few once you get to looking. They have models (diecast) in many makes and brands in 1/87th scale. 1/50th is the most popular of most collectors. Norscot (might have been bought out) had a fair variety of Deere & Cat at one time and were "reasonably" detailed in 1/87th. Other brands I've seen Semi-Lowboy trailers, dump trucks, a variety of construction equipment all in 1/87th, there is a big following for construction models. Might try the Farm equipment too.
Will do, i do have a crane and shovel company with a several backhoe, trackhoe. bulldozer, and others as a dealership. Have some deere, cat, and volvo products. I even have a room in that building with flashing leds that apoear to be someone welding, neat effect. Will post a pic soon. I also have a case international combine on a freshly cut field in one part of my layout, and a 60's model grain truck thats filled with grain accompanying it, something you see around here frequently. But i also have a few international, petes, and kens on my layout in various places. Gonna check the sites out.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Will do, i do have a crane and shovel company with a several backhoe, trackhoe. bulldozer, and others as a dealership. Have some deere, cat, and volvo products. I even have a room in that building with flashing leds that apoear to be someone welding, neat effect. Will post a pic soon. I also have a case international combine on a freshly cut field in one part of my layout, and a 60's model grain truck thats filled with accompanying it, something you see around here frequently. But i also have a few international, petes, and kens on my layout in various places. Gonna check the sites out.
Things are a little slow in the Construction Model collecting hobby right now due to the economy. They just canceled the Summer National Farm Toy Show in Dyersville, IA because of the crono-19. It's a weekend event that draws a big crowd.

The REALLY BIG show is the Fall one that draws people from all over and even other countries. It's a full weekend and is ALWAYS PACKED with venders inside and out. With the size of the crowd it draws, it's like being in a cattle barn at feeding time. Not to mention all the venders that are outside in tents and trailers. They have even extended it to the High School Gym the past few years. Odds are, sadly, that could be canceled this year too.

The National Farm Toy Show has been going on as long as I can remember. Dyersville is also the home of the original Ertl Toys (now Tomi ?) and has a couple other toy manufactures located there. First Gear is located farther East just outside of Dubuque.

Dealers (in the States) also get quality models imported from Germany. Conrad is very popular here. I have a very old P&H mining shovel I got back in the 80s that's 1/87 and is a MONSTER for size and detail.

Nice thing. There's a ton of websites for collecting and all are open on the internet and shipping.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Things are a little slow in the Construction Model collecting hobby right now due to the economy. They just canceled the Summer National Farm Toy Show in Dyersville, IA because of the crono-19. It's a weekend event that draws a big crowd.

The REALLY BIG show is the Fall one that draws people from all over and even other countries. It's a full weekend and is ALWAYS PACKED with venders inside and out. With the size of the crowd it draws, it's like being in a cattle barn at feeding time. Not to mention all the venders that are outside in tents and trailers. They have even extended it to the High School Gym the past few years. Odds are, sadly, that could be canceled this year too.

The National Farm Toy Show has been going on as long as I can remember. Dyersville is also the home of the original Ertl Toys (now Tomi ?) and has a couple other toy manufactures located there. First Gear is located farther East just outside of Dubuque.

Dealers (in the States) also get quality models imported from Germany. Conrad is very popular here. I have a very old P&H mining shovel I got back in the 80s that's 1/87 and is a MONSTER for size and detail.

Nice thing. There's a ton of websites for collecting and all are open on the internet and shipping.
Thanks buddy will check them out.

Before i was a career firefighter i worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for john deere. then worked for case. Cotton pickers, combines, tractors, all sorts of farm equipnent. So i knew them pretty well. Nothing like driving something big as a house. Articulating tractors were interesting too.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts

Hey here is my heavy equipment dealership.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Thanks buddy will check them out.

Before i was a career firefighter i worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for john deere. then worked for case. Cotton pickers, combines, tractors, all sorts of farm equipnent. So i knew them pretty well. Nothing like driving something big as a house. Articulating tractors were interesting too.
Wish I could have scored The RR Engineer job. But I enjoyed being an Operating Engineer, have a wide variety of equipment under my belt including heavy lift cranes. Haven't run across anything I couldn't operate over the years.

So, I used to break em and you'd fix em. Job security.;)

Nice Dealership you have going there. Hope you can find more equipment.

Originally I started out collecting construction equipment I had operated. Needless to say that hobby exploded over the years. I collect Deere, Cat, Lieber, Demag, Terex, Link-Belt and the list goes into heavy hauling, road paving, and on and on.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,296 Posts
Wish I could have scored The RR Engineer job. But I enjoyed being an Operating Engineer, have a wide variety of equipment under my belt including heavy lift cranes. Haven't run across anything I couldn't operate over the years.

So, I used to break em and you'd fix em. Job security.;)

Nice Dealership you have going there. Hope you can find more equipment.

Originally I started out collecting construction equipment I had operated. Needless to say that hobby exploded over the years. I collect Deere, Cat, Lieber, Demag, Terex, Link-Belt and the list goes into heavy hauling, road paving, and on and on.
Awesome. i have a friend that collects just farm equipment, has a shop full of deere and case international. Your gonna have to share some pics when you get time.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Awesome. i have a friend that collects just farm equipment, has a shop full of deere and case international. Your gonna have to share some pics when you get time.
I started collecting farm equipment but knew I had to draw a line before it got out of hand (like my construction, crane and heavy hauling). I only collect Deere. I have all the Precision Classics and Key Series and about everything else that's green in any scale it comes in. My toy box for the Grand kids is even packed with 1/32 & 1/16th Deere.

My Lawn & Garden tractors are an old ST-95 (I rebuilt, bought it almost junked out), old 445 & a newer 738 4x4, both bought new with all the attachments, Deere Gator, Deere Tools, finely wore out my old Deere Spitfire (snowmobile). Sold my old "B" and an old "A" Deere Tractors (almost as old as I am) to a collector/restorer for his full size collection (he just kept upping what he'd pay for them until I couldn't say no anymore). They were bought new and had stayed in my family and kept inside. Went to a good home where they are well taken care of.

I (jokingly) tell people I'm just trying to help all my friends that worked at Deere, get their retirement checks. "Green" might cost a little more, but it lasts forever !!!

61 - 80 of 108 Posts