Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Type 3 Red Eagle SN# 56XX is a mid 1950 production.
I have to think with all the hard core collectors on here there has to be some really early guns owned by some members.
So what do you all have?
Any three digit SN#’s?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a Red Eagle??
Red Eagles are the early production of the Ruger .22 Standards and Mark I’s.
Starting with SN#1 to SN#35,029 with 9 variants during the production.
The side emblem on them has a red background but when Alex Sturm died in 1952 Bill Ruger changed the emblem from red to black in his honor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Red Eagles are the early production of the Ruger .22 Standards and Mark I’s.
Starting with SN#1 to SN#35,029 with 9 variants during the production.
The side emblem on them has a red background but when Alex Sturm died in 1952 Bill Ruger changed the emblem from red to black in his honor.
My 1950 Standard has a red phoenix (eagle) on a silver background. My 50th anniversary Mark II has a silver eagle on a red background. There's another thread lower down in this forum that has more detail regarding differences and when the different medallions were used.

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/382597-looking-red-eagle-medallion.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S10, what’s you SN# range on your 1950? Are you in the 3000’s 4000’s 5000’s?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The nine variations are based on exterior, observable differences. Some changes were to improve the design and others seem to me to be a more efficient way of making the gun. There were also some internal changes to the fire control group but they are not categorized.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a Ruger Standard that my father bought new in 1950 for $37.50. I still have it, but the medallion is missing. Would love to find one, but they are rare. Serial number is 42xx.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wingspar, there are a set of old Ruger Black Hawk grips on Gunbroker that seem to have the same medallions. You can ask him to measure and see if they will work.
I am having problems tagging the link via my iPad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow! I have been looking for a type 7 (also a type 1a, 2 and 4). I believe that was the first version to have a 1/2 inch dovetail on the rear sight. What kind of shape is it in?

·
Registered
92 Posts
That’s still a nice early gun.
They are fun to collect.
It was the first Ruger semi-auto pistol I purchased. For whatever reason, I bought it primarily because it was "old" and came with a leather holster. The pistol showed some well earned bluing wear associated with the holster and the typical, I guess, scratch marks near the mainspring housing release lever. Too bad Ruger mentioned using the blade of a pocket knife as the first option to pop that lever loose in the Owner's Manual; I think a lot of folks quit reading there and ignored the "blunt" and paper clip portion of the instruction, hence why you see so many with scratches around the release lever. Regardless, it shoots better than the Mark II 50th Anniversary pistol I subsequently bought.

I bought it to shoot, not as a collector piece, and it makes me smile every time I take it to the range. The only concession I made to its age is to use more modern magazines in it, saving the original mag a bit of wear & tear.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wingspar, there are a set of old Ruger Black Hawk grips on Gunbroker that seem to have the same medallions. You can ask him to measure and see if they will work.
I am having problems tagging the link via my iPad.
Never thought about looking on GB. Just tried it and came up with zero possibilities. I’ll try it again later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was the first Ruger semi-auto pistol I purchased. For whatever reason, I bought it primarily because it was "old" and came with a leather holster. The pistol showed some well earned bluing wear associated with the holster and the typical, I guess, scratch marks near the mainspring housing release lever. Too bad Ruger mentioned using the blade of a pocket knife as the first option to pop that lever loose in the Owner's Manual; I think a lot of folks quit reading there and ignored the "blunt" and paper clip portion of the instruction, hence why you see so many with scratches around the release lever. Regardless, it shoots better than the Mark II 50th Anniversary pistol I subsequently bought.

I bought it to shoot, not as a collector piece, and it makes me smile every time I take it to the range. The only concession I made to its age is to use more modern magazines in it, saving the original mag a bit of wear & tear.
I see you are in MD. The Virginia Gun Collectors Association puts on a great show in Manassas I think the first weekend in March.
K!drock022 and I do a Ruger 22 display with around 30 guns. Lots of early and rare ones. If you have time come down and say hi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As My3swedes stated above, you should stop by the VGCA gun show in Manassas VA on 28/29 March and take a look at My3swedes and my display of early Ruger 22 semi autos. We also have a good display of MK I, II, III and IVs. Several early, unique and rare ones in the collection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was at a gun show last October and held SN 0098. The guy showing it said that Ruger made 100 the first day of production. He was asking $1495 for it. I have no idea what that would be worth.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts