Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If the .32 ACP was so capable, our police departments and military would be using it. After all, even their smallest female recruits would be able to do well with it.

As far as standing and taking a round to prove something, I doubt any of us would want to get shot with a .22 Short, but that doesn't mean it's capable or effective in stopping a fight.
Colonel Cooper believed that if you are going to use a handgun on someone, it should be no less than, .40 caliber/180 grains in weight/ 1000 fps.
That's good enough for me.

.32 ACP has about 128 ft. lbs. of energy, about like a .22 LR fired out of a rifle. Many .32 hollow points don't expand.
I know, next you'll tell me that bulls and hogs up for slaughter are killed with a lowly .22, and Eskimos kill Walrus and Moose with a .22.
If you feel comfortable with a .32, go ahead. Bad guys don't always stand still and let you put one behind their ear.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/12/16/the-32-acp-can-it-be-counted-on-for-self-defense/
Millions of cadavers laying in the ground around the world over the last 100+ years would curse the "puny" little .32 acp.;):)

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Millions of cadavers laying in the ground around the world over the last 100+ years would curse the "puny" little .32 acp.;):)
Invalid comparison. There’s a vast difference between an execution of a helpless victim at two feet (or less) and stopping an adrenaline infused charging aggressor at 10 or 15 feet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Invalid comparison. There’s a vast difference between an execution of a helpless victim at two feet (or less) and stopping an adrenaline infused charging aggressor at 10 or 15 feet.
Yes, substance abuse can play a factor in how "bulletproof" someone is.
In the cases I've observed, nothing shy of 3 rounds 12 gauge #00 Buck was "definitive".
Six .38s? Angel Dust is tougher. (I didn't see a lot of meth back then)
Six .357s? See above.
Seven .45s? Kept on stabbing.
Thirteen Silvertip 9mms? Kept running.
1 round, 12 gauge #00 Buck, kept shooting.
2 rounds, 12 gauge #00 Buck, slowed greatly.
3 rounds did the job.

Leaking lungs, obliterated spleen, punctured kidneys, lacerated liver, shot in arms, legs, nutsack... didn't matter.
Addiction, drugs, a life accustomed to pain, or oblivious to pain, mental instability, who knows for certain?
As all of them 100%, died of wounds received.

Some days the best you can do is try and soothe the savage beast and GTFO of harm's way.
Wallet? Cash? Car? here you go. "Hello is this Farmers Insurance? I have a story for your next commercial."

Taking a hostage or bent on homicide?
Oh hell no.
No matter what I'm packing, from a .22 Mag to .45-70 T/C Contender, I'm taking you with me.

·
Exchequer
4,597 Posts

My other mouse gun is a Coonan .357 :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
LCP, LCP2 & LC9s

The LCP2 is my favorite. It's a true mouse gun, I hardly notice it in my pocket. Took a lot of practice to get accurate with it. small sights, very snappy recoil.
I can pocket carry the LC9s but only with cargo and chino type pants. Even then, I'm always aware that there's a big lump in my pocket. I shoot better with the LC9s than with either of the LCPs. Sights on LC9s are far better and the trigger is lighter.
Still, I prefer the LCP2 for pocket carry. It's also my hiking gun.
I don't share the disdain for .380. Both the 9mm and the .380 will make the same size hole. Yes, the 9mm will penetrate deeper, but in the summer, I don't think it will make much difference. The biggest negative to the .380 v 9mm is the cost.
I also own a 1911 in 45 acp and the Taurus PT92 9mm which is a Beretta clone. I love shooting both those guns and shoot them well, but for me, they're just too big and heavy for everyday carry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mouse guns

In my opinion, anybody who carries with anything less than a 9mm hollowpoint is asking for trouble. True ANY gun is a deterrent, and just being shot will stop most attackers, even if just a .22 lr. BUT, if you are accosted by some drug-addled, racist thug, punk or gang-banger with a gun or knife, YOU must win that fight or likely will wind up dead. And be aware if that happens, you will be in for the worst legal battle of your life. But it is better than being six feet under. Women and senior citizens are especially susceptable. Some of the quality micro-nines will fit in a jeans pocket or unobtrustive holster, and have proven themselves much more effective than a mouse gun. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
550 Posts
EDC for 8 years was an LCP, now its primarily house carry and EDC is Shield9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
I own twelve pocket 380's but only a few do I carry at home and only three my Springfield 911, LCP II, and CW-380 are with me as a standby EDC. I usually carry a 40 Taurus G2C or XD SC or XDS. I do have a lot of confidence in my 911 380, I just have even more with a forty.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Carry an LCP custom everyday - even at home. Carried in a Kydex IWB, it disappears and is comfortable no matter what I’m wearing. If I’m headed out somewhere that makes me think I need a larger pistol, 1) I reconsider going 2) carry SRC 9c with 10 rd mag and put the 17 rd mag in my pocket 3) reconsider again if the trip is necessary.

Since learning to shoot the LCP with decent accuracy, I carry every single day - not something I did when carrying larger pistols.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For mouses I usually use a trap - SNAP but have popped a few with a .22.
Snakes usually a 12 ga
Coon a .22 on steroids AKA .223.
Deer a .270.

Can add this to so many other post that start as one question then evolve to a "How much do you need in my opinion"

Kind of following as I am looking at a more concealable than my 9c.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kel-Tec .32

Kel-Tec is very small and very light, even fully loaded. Goes unnoticed in pocket or in ankle holster.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have carried a North American 22 Mag since the mid 90's.Never had a problem. I also carry a Smith model 36.

81 - 100 of 187 Posts