Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive owned a small number of handguns. Ruger P95, glock 19, glock 26, & i have had 2 keltec PF9s. both PF9s have given me issues. my Ruger & Glocks NEVER gave me a problem, never broke, never malfuntioned, never misfired.

but BOTH of my PF9s have broke within a couple days of owning them

first one, the take down pin broke into two pieces while at the range. thankfully not while firing, sending my slide downrange from the recoil springs haha

second one. the screw that holds the extractors head broke off while trying to detail clean it for the first time.

now that being said, keltec has FANTASTIC customer service and has sent me new replacement parts, no questions asked. even with the second they just gave me an entirely new slide and barrel.

just curious to if anyone else has had as bad of luck as me with PF9s

thank you!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
A shooting buddy of mine has struggled with a PF9 for months. He's gettin rid of it and buying either a Ruger or Sig for himself for X-mas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You get what you pay for, especially in firearms.

Kel Tec may have good customer service but never trust your life to any of their weapons.

TK

·
Registered
26 Posts
You get what you pay for, especially in firearms.

Kel Tec may have good customer service but never trust your life to any of their weapons.

TK
I agree...why not pay a little more and get a Ruger or S&W?

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Mine's had over a thousand round down the pipe without a hiccup, but I still wanted something else so picked up an XDs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine always jammed. It was terrible. My older brother had the same problem. Great idea for a pistol, but they have just so many little problems that make them suck.

Conversely, there are MANY people that say they are the best CC gun on the market. You'll never hear me echo that sentiment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned a couple of them. It's my junk gun I carry when I can't carry anything else. I haven't had any malfunctions or stoppages but as soon as I got each of them, I did a major fluff and buff.

To be real about it, Kel-Tec is crap. They take their guns to about 80% and say "meh, good enough."

I still carry one of the PF9's when I'm at the gym and when I run but only because I wont go down in caliber or go any smaller.

I dremeled the under part of the trigger guard and had the slide and internals Nickle Boron coated.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't have one. I have friends who do and they aren't very impressed.

Many say that you have to "fluff and buff" them to get them to work correctly. (I even read that here once.)

I think the LC9 is a better option. It, too, benefits from extra treatment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I can't give the LC9 any better of a review. The one I bought had a broke trigger after 10 rounds. (It's the only one I've ever shot and I realize that every pistol can have a lemon.) The gunshop credited me back the cost and I bought something else.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Got to say my PF9 has run a ton of ammo down range cleanly ...also I think alot of problems with ALL small light weight "pocket pistols" is there is no mass to aid in the action of recoil/ejection/reloading and so the shooter has to provide the resistance [read firm wrist/hand hold] to keep the main frame in place so the slide can do it's thing ...this of course has zero to do with parts breaking ...but then again small and light as demanded buy the buying public I think forces many manufactures to build parts on the edge of go/no go ....and true enough some manufactures have taken the so called high road of beefing up compacts in the name of reliability ...I have some ...they are safe queens ...their added weigh pulls my pants off like I dreamed of some gal doing for me as a teenager ....and the FP9 with it's size/weight is always with me simply because it is the most aggrivation I am willing to live with 24/7

Bear

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree...why not pay a little more and get a Ruger or S&W?
Because neither company makes a 9mm as small as the PF9.

I carried a PF9 daily for over a year, and shot it 1-2 times a month, well over 2000 rounds down the tube and never had a single issue that wasn't ammo related... I did do the fluf-n-buff before I ever shot it....

The only reason I am not still carrying it is because the first time my 3 year old slipped her hand into my carry pocket looking for money, I decided I needed something with a manual safety. I traded the kel-tec to a buddy for a S&W bodyguard .380, and he is still happy with it.

Yea, you get what you pay for. Paying more for a ruger or S&W gets you a more refined gun, and to some that might be worth the extra size. It doesnt get you a more reliable gun though, as both companies have issues with their little guns too, small guns have more issues thats just the way it is. Case in point, with my bodyguard a few months after I got it, I was showing it to my brother and attempted to clear the chamber, but the slide would not go back all the way. It took a long time and a lot of trying to get it working... Long story short the screw that holds the laser in had backed out and was keeping the slide from opening.....

My kel-tec sub 2000 has been flawless as well....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a lot of problems with my PF9 right from round one. Light strikes caused by firing pin bore machined off center, fixed by new complete upper in the mail. Extraction problems, fixed with a double extractor spring. And feed jams where the round's nose would get caught under the feed ramp. Fixed by replacing mag spring with a stronger Wolff meant for a S&W. And yes, I did the Fluff n Buff as soon as I got it out of the box. Other shooters has same feed/extract problems with it, so problem wasn't me.

Finally got it reliable, but as soon as I picked up a S&W Shield 9, got kicked to the safe. The Shield was perfect from round one, much easier to shoot accurately, especially rapid fire. While I sort of trust the PF9 now, I trust the Shield without hesitation. The size & weight penalty of the Shield is well worth it to me.

Kel-Tec's execution on the PF9 is lacking, IMO. Stronger extractor and mag springs would go a long way to improve the PF9. The extractor spring is the same one used on the P-3AT, and I think it has a harder time helping the extractor hold on to the case with the more violent recoil of the 9mm. Not much margin for error. The mag spring is almost as soft as the P3's, and I also think it has a hard time pushing the rounds up in the stack under the heavier recoil of 9mm. Some PF9s are reliable as is, but KTs manufacturing variances being what they are, some are on the edge, and that is where I think stronger springs would help.

But if you read some responses on KTOG, some tend to put feed/extraction problems on the shooter, especially with the "limp wristing" question. Anytime a newbie shows up on that board with PF9 jam or extraction problems, it's pretty much guaranteed someone will ask if they weren't "limp wristing". I proved with my PF9 that with more spring pressures in the right places, it will feed and extract properly even without an iron death grip on the pistol. I can shoot my PF9 with my weak hand, no problem. And at 5'7" 140#s, I'm no Ferrigno. Sure, having a proper/strong grip on the pistol is desirable, but are you going to be able to have the perfect grip on it should you have to draw it quickly in a high stress situation? What if you have to go to your weak hand? With my PF9 with the stock springs on it, I'm sure I would be SOL in such situations.

My P-3AT and the P32 I got my GF have been much better. The P32 especially. I really like the P32, it is an excellent little pocket pistol. Like it so much, I kind of regret going with the 380. Good excuse for getting myself a P32. ;-)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had 2 PF9s both crap everything happened except it blowing up in my hand .
Blueing came off ,cracked slide, fireing pin, trigger assembly, sent back and forth .
I know one should not have to fluff and buff or make it a hobby to make a cheap firearm work . The company is good however they dont have much to work with in the PF9 . All my other guns are as reliable as they can be .

·
Registered
435 Posts
For those that had problems, how long ago was it? The first few generations definitely had issues, but those made in the last few years have been much better.

As for not having to fluff and buff, I disagree. If you want a gun thats cosmeticaly perfect out of the box, spend $500 on it, not $250. Would you buy a Toyota corolla and expect the same refinement you get in a Lexus?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine was made 1-17-11, purchased 2-11. At the time I had light strike problems caused by firing pin bore off center, others started posting same problem on KTOG. Obviously someone had the set up wrong when they machined FP bores on a batch of PF9 slides. Then when I had extraction problems with new upper, others started posting same issue. Many of us came to same "solution": doubling up the extractor spring.

I posted on KTOG once that it would help Kel-Tec if they went through ISO certification. One of the board regulars replied with a smart ass reply about how things were done on auto assembly lines in the 60s or some such nonsense. Guess what, KT is going ISO. I guess someone clued them in on how 1st article inspections, in process inspections, receiving inspections for incoming parts, etc, pay off in a better product with far fewer come backs.

Don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm a KT hater, quite the opposite. I like their designs, just the execution has been lacking. KT's customer service is 1st rate, very friendly, will be happy to send you free parts in the mail. If they would just make their stuff right in the 1st place, would be a lot less need to use it. Hopefully going ISO will help KT manufacturing quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts