Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going to the NRA convention this spring, and I'd be interested in hearing from others who have gone. Was it worth it, things to see and do, things to avoid.

Louisville is about an 8-9 hour drive from here, so it's not a big deal to get there and back. I'd just need to get a hotel for a couple of nights.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have attended
Like the SHOT show much better. Many of the vendors seem to have people staffing their booth that are not knowledgeable employees, just enthusiast that are vaguely familiar with the product

·
Banned
269 Posts
I'm a member and sometimes they have conventions close to where I'm at. But I have never attended.

It would be a cool way to meet new people.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Attended one, years ago in Milwaukee. Best gun show I've ever attended.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I went last year in Nashville had a great time. Lots to see and do a lot of free stuff handed out and best of all when you get done looking at all the gear don't forget to look at all the great looking girls.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have been to NRA in Pittsburg, Charlotte, and Louisville a few years go.
Plan on going to Louisville this spring. I go only for the vendors to see new products and products that most gun shops do not keep in stock. Having said that I do wish that HOLSTER makers would have vendor booths
SHOT show is just too far away for me to go. I will not fly anywhere and driving that in January would not be anything I would do.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Took my grandson to the St. Louis show a few years ago. Great experience. If you haven't gone to one before, make sure to go to at least one.

Bring a large bib, as you will be drooling quite a bit.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Since I only live about an hour away from Louisville, I'll have to go.

My family and friends have been to Indy and Nashville and said it was a fun time to be around like minded people.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm thinking about going to the NRA convention this spring.

Louisville is about an 8-9 hour drive from here, so it's not a big deal to get there and back. I'd just need to get a hotel for a couple of nights.
I'm also thinking of going and it's approximately the same travel time for me but I can stay in my RV. :)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Been to two of them, one in Louisville, and in Charlotte, NC in 2000 where I got see Charlton Heston speak. YES, they are indeed worth going to! I have a tape of the NC one, and it still brings a tear to my eye to listen to Mr. Heston give that speech.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I went to the one here in Nashville in 2015. LOTS of stuff to see, plan to stay the whole day. I didn't go to the members meeting in the morning but kinda wished that I had done so.

You might want to pack some rations and maybe tote a sleeping bag along. I got tired out and would have enjoyed a little nap somewhere along the way ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Attended both shows in Pittsburgh, parking was the biggest pain but the vendors and exhibits more than made up for it. If you get the chance and one is nearby you should deffinetly go.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
It's something we all should attend at least once.

If you're an NRA member, it's really quite interesting. Not everyone can attend the SHOT show.

If you're gonna need a motel room, you had best plan ahead . . . it's in May this year.

:)

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Attended one, years ago in Milwaukee. Best gun show I've ever attended.
I was at that one. 2003, if I remember correctly.

I was only there for 1 day, so I didn't get to see everything. Definitely worth the experience.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm thinking about going to the NRA convention this spring, and I'd be interested in hearing from others who have gone. Was it worth it, things to see and do, things to avoid.

I went to Indy. Went with a group and my granddaughter. Its a good show. Lots of political folks there. Seminars. Booths. Etc. Lots of free presentations and clinics. Its a good place to lay paws on lots of new equipment and see what you like. Not a lot of cash n carry there. Ordering, yea, not like a normal gun show. And of course, hot babes O_O

We went for the whole show and drove home sunday after it closed.

Met Hickock and a few other youtubers as well as Jerry Miculek and Ronnie Barrett. Even ran across my own Sheriff Clarke.

NRA will likely have deals on upgrading your membership if you wish. I upped to Life there at 1/4 the cost.

IMHO, yea, it was worth it. Very enjoyable. Never been to shot show, so can't compare. But, we are starting the planning stages of the Louisville show.

Order your tickets online. Get em sent direct to you. And its free. There were hordes standing in line to get in. We walked right in with our badges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts