Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered with riots, etc., going on, who has purchased body armor? Actually, it could have been your friend because I wanted to know what ballistic armor level was purchased and approximately what was the cost. My concern has been if I would have access to my armor when I needed it? Naturally, I will not wear this daily in case I have a self defense situation but more likely when a threat situation is known like a riot through my suburb neighborhood or more generalized fighting breaks out. It is nice that even the level II armor will cover all basic handgun ammo except 357 Sig. and 44 mag. For a self defense situation, the level II would be great but moving into larger conflicts the potential of being shot at by a rifle rises greatly. Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely out of almost 300 CCW people, someone has a vest?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought Level 3 plates a couple of years ago. For the same reason as you. For a riot in my area.. .. The metal weighs 8 lbs. I don't have the money for ceramic plates and hopefully I'll never need them. Back in 2017 they were around $200 for 4 plates front/back and two 6x8 side plates. If I had to to over again I'd just buy front and back plates. I got a good deal on the plate carrier so that helped with cost because a good quality plate carrier can get costly... I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
While I have given the idea some thought, there isn't all that much available in the ++XL size that I would need and the last thing my hips need is to carry any more weight. The current political unrest will probably be long settled before I lose enough weight to make any choices about armor.

Bruce

·
Registered
156 Posts
While I have given the idea some thought, there isn't all that much available in the ++XL size that I would need and the last thing my hips need is to carry any more weight. The current political unrest will probably be long settled before I lose enough weight to make any choices about armor.

Bruce
These are less expensive than many, this level 3a vest is size 4xl and looking at the comments at bottom of page a guy said he is 6'1" 420# and claims he could gain another 50# and it would still fit.
They say the 4x vest weighs just under 7#.
This one sells for $398.00, smaller sizes are less.

This link goes to the biggest 4x size but look at chart for your weight and height and see what you need then look at the correct page.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thought about it strongly, decided to pass. I live in the sticks and rioting is low on my concern matrix. If I was back in the city......absolutely.

FYI - I tried one of the above Bulletsafe vests out for fit. Very nice quality and protection for what they charged.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having access to it when needed is an issue. So I decided to keep it in my car because where it is, is where I always am. There would just have to be a couple minutes warning to get it or the hot situations near me would make me keep it near until it blew over. Still have not decided to purchase, just thinking it through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts