Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has struggled with the LC9 as much as I have? It's not even an issue of being used to a different trigger as this is my first gun. I've put probably 600-700 rounds through this thing and I still can't get it. At 5 yards, I can just point this thing and hit bullseyes without a sight picture , and I love that. Once I move to 7 yards and beyond things are much less consistent, even slow firing. I seem to be better with my first joint on the trigger, but not much better. I can dry fire at home with any part of my finger and keep a coin balanced atop the front sight perfectly, but this is not reflected at the range. I shot a friends M&Pc I was exponentially better with it at 7-15 yards. I'm sure the lc9 is much more accurate than I, but I can't seem to master it. It's really frustrating yet motivating. Any tips?

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Take your time and don't start going Kentucky windage on it (aiming somewhere else because you think the bullet will hit to your left or right etc...) I've got about 2000 rounds down and it takes concentration but I can hit an 8" steel plate at 25 yards 7 out of 7 times. I find the trigger pull is what throws me off down and to the left. I treat the gun like it is a revolver and use the tip of my finger to pull straight back into the crook of my thumb and hand. Tough to explain with words. Let the trigger break on it's own, don't snatch it.

After I struggled a while I let someone who competition shoots try it, they put 7 shots through a 1/2" hole at 7 yards... "yep, seems fine to me" I never questioned the problem was me from that point forward. Everything above is pretty much what he explained to me. He hated the trigger pull for "fun" but declared it a good gun for concealed carry.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well if you bought the LC9 for SD your doing good.
I had the same trouble and every practice I do the point and shoot then progress to the 20-30ft mark (which has improved a lot) then I go on to the 30-50ft practice and thats where I feel I really have to concentrate and improve.
On the other hand I am more than happy with the SD hits because that is what I bought this baby for. I think that most threats to me will come from less than 15ft but my home is 30ft long so these are what I most prepare for.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes take your time , Trigger control, like any gun you can't jerk the trigger . I to can hit 8"steel at 20 - 30 ft range around 40-50 gets tougher.
just remember it's not a target gun , keep shooting it will come .

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has struggled with the LC9 as much as I have? It's not even an issue of being used to a different trigger as this is my first gun. I've put probably 600-700 rounds through this thing and I still can't get it. At 5 yards, I can just point this thing and hit bullseyes without a sight picture , and I love that. Once I move to 7 yards and beyond things are much less consistent, even slow firing. I seem to be better with my first joint on the trigger, but not much better. I can dry fire at home with any part of my finger and keep a coin balanced atop the front sight perfectly, but this is not reflected at the range. I shot a friends M&Pc I was exponentially better with it at 7-15 yards. I'm sure the lc9 is much more accurate than I, but I can't seem to master it. It's really frustrating yet motivating. Any tips?
When I was learning to shoot a DAO trigger(with the LC9)I had read various articles about grip & trigger control & started using my 1st joint & it was better for me. The other thing for me was to tighten my grip up considerably & it improved my shooting overall. I would suggest reading the "Aim Small, Miss Small" article on this Forum, it helped me a lot also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you've shot a lot of DA revolvers, DA/SA-DAO pistol's then it's an easy transition. If's you've only shot SA pistol's and the GLock type of trigger than it's very different. We have a large number of shooter's who've shot nothing but Glock type safe-action trigger's and know nothing else. So for me I never even noticed a problem with the trigger and still think it's good to go.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i agree with all stated above. This is for those up close and personal moments - not for anything long distance. Not to say those that are much better shots couldnt do it but I am not a competitive shooter so its for that 5 - 10 foot range.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have around 600 rounds through my LC9 now. I just realized some in my dry fire practice last week I hadn't been aware of before. Due to finger and trigger geometry, my trigger finger has to slide down vertically on the trigger near the end if the pull and before the hammer breaks. I tried alternative finger placement, but there is no where else to go. In order to get the trigger all the way back to the break requires my finger to slide down the trigger more to get full range. I'm sure that is throwing my muzzle off some regardless of my grip. Is this just me or what?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts