Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I dont mean noise; I'd be delighted if mine were making noise right now. I bought a Frankford Arsenal tumbler 2 or 3 years ago and it just died. Who has one that has lasted a ling time? My hunch is they all clean well but the vibrating type seems to be self destructive since they work on a weight making the armature out of balance which causes the vibration (self destructive). So before I buy another vibrator tumbler I thought I'd put the question out there and see if I can buy one that might last longer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My first tumbler lasted 14 years, it is not unusual for me to forget and leave mine on for over a day.
When I replaced my original one I purchased two, a (GREAT!) Lyman with autoflow and a frankford also. both of those has been going for at least 8 years.

·
Super Moderator
21,430 Posts
I bought an RCBS vibratory case cleaner 3 years ago and it works just fine. I started with walnut and switched to corn cob but quickly switched back to walnut.

Three years isn't classified as long term but it looks like a rugged unit and suspect it is built to last.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here are my findings to add to the search:

Midway sells the Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110 Volt for $65.00 which has a good review and nobody complains of premature failure with the bonus of many trading their Frankford Arsenal tumblers in on it.

Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Then this is a tumble I had more than 30 years ago that did a pretty good job and as I can remember was a little quieter than a vibration type and its construction does not include a vibrating (self destructing) motor.

Amazon.com: Model B In Mailer Rock Tumbler: Toys & Games

Then here’s a cheaper model with a plastic drum which I would imagine would be noisier.

Amazon.com: Model A-R12 Rock Tumbler: Toys & Games

Anybody have any experience with this kind of tumbler?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Cabelas that I bought about 6 months ago on sale. It has proven so far to do a great job. About 1.5 to 2 hours with corn cob media and very little polish and the cases come out great. I really like running the cleaned and polished brass through the dies. Slick as can be!

Walt

·
Registered
263 Posts
Had a large older Dillon tumbler that quit a few months ago, definitely out of warranty. Called their 800 number to get it repaired, gave me a service or shipping number. Cost me $54.00 to ship it UPS. A week later received a brand new one. No charge. Yes I am satisfied with Dillon.

Boris

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cabelas tumblers are made by Frankford Arsenal, and both have a great warrenty. I had mine for almost 2 years running almost non stop before it finally gave up. I called them up, talked to a rep to get the return authorization, mailed it in, (my cost), and it was returned repaired with a new lid and knob, free of charge. My only cost was shipping one way.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then maybe I ought to make a few phone calls and see about getting the thing fixed. Thinking about the options I found, I cant really see spending 3 times as much on a drum tumbler, especially since a replacement motor for one of them is as much as a vibrating tumbler. I'll hit the phone in the morning.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI I fixed it. Shook itself to death by shaking a wire connection loose. It just took a few minutes to fix when I saw it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Over thirty years ago, I bought a very used Model B as listed above by HeavyHitter. It is still going strong today, although I have replaced the drive belt a couple of times.

I have it set up on my bench in the basement, resting on a piece of carpet, and you cannot hear it running from upstairs. Even when you are in the same room with it in the basement it is very quiet, depending on the mixture of brass and media. The metal drum has a rubber/plastic liner that contributes to the quiet operation.

It does a superb job. I'd recomment it 100% . . . and the smaller one ought to be about as good.

:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
How old was the FA Tumbler, meaning was it gov't surplus?
The reason I ask, my Dad worked at FA in Phlly before it was closed in the 70s.
FA ammo was very sought after as being the highest quality hand loaded ammo in the DoD network.

I have a little FA history, Dad used the following brass to make the base of 3 lamps which adorn my office.

Stamping

105 MM M14
Lot FA 3 23

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Dillon CV-500 just died. I turned it on and forgot about it untill the next morning when I heard an electric humming noise. After reading this post I called Dillon. They told me that they no longer make the CV-500 but,if I ship it to them they could fix it at a cost of approx. $90.00. I just sent them an e-mail to verify the repair costs and if it is correct I will be ordering one from Midway, perhaps the Hornady. The CV-500 is maybe 4 years old and has seen a considerable amount of use. But, I do not think I paid much more than $90.00 for it new. If they do contact me and say the cost is an error, I will post their reply. I have several of their products and I am very happy with them. This is the first of their products I have ever had an issue with. Puzzleing

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well let's see I've been shooting handguns for five years now and reloading durn near as long so I would have to say 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 years I have two one for lg pistol and rifle cases and one for small pistol The small one is a Lyman just about 2 or 3 months old and the one for lg cases is a Berry manufactoring product at least 4 years old I haven't had a problem thus far with either but it's been a compairitively short time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, some folks call me "cheap", but when I started reloading, I didn't know if I'd really like it and continue. So I bought a CHEAP Lee single stage press, and for a case cleaner, I got a 'tumbler' from Harbor Freight on sale for around $21 IIRC. The latter came with a spare rubber 'drive belt', which I've never had to use yet, BTW. I think the thing is intended for tumbling and smoothing rocks, etc. Has a rubber 'drum' which keeps it pretty quiet. It easily holds 50 cases of whatever caliber I'm reloading, which is enough for me, but might not be sufficient for many of you.

Long story short, I decided to keep reloading, but since that cheap HF tumbler just keeps working, (with NO vibration, BTW), I see no reason to replace it. Not sure how long I've been using it, but it must be 3 or 4 years; maybe a bit longer. When (if) it breaks, I'll probably go with a good vibratory type, but so far . . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have owned a Dillon since the mid 1980's. I have run at least 100,000 rounds through the machine. I use ground walnut from Petsmart. I use Turtle Wax polishing compound from Walmart for inexpensive polish. I take three or four used dryer softners in the polish compound to keep the walnut / walnut mixture clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got the reply from Dillon. They said that due to the motor manufacturer they used to use moving their ops to Mexico they revamped the CV-500 to use the CV-2001 motor and call it a CV-750. So the repair cost of $90.00 plus shipping to them was correct. Hummmm where is my Midway catalog? I found my old Lyman 600 (?) I bought in the 1980's. It is a bit small, especially for rifle brass but at least it still works.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have been using a Lyman vibrator for 20+ years without problems. Sometime back I recall there was a certain vibrator (don't recall the company) that was having problems with shorts and fires that was subsequently fixed in the later models.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Lyman's Turbo Tumbler is reliable. I've used it for so long that I've lost count of the time, but I probably got it in the early 90's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a Cabelas' tumbler 4 years ago and it's still running fine.

Thought I was the only one that would forget it an let it run for over a day! Thanks Hairtrigger.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sure most of you missed my post where I found the simple fix problem and my Frankford Arsenal is still going fine. The thread is kind of dead.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts