Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not exactly new here, just read more than posted. But I never considered being a Ruger guy.

I guess this is because while searching for firearms to fulfill different needs, I just chose what was best for my situation.

I needed a wheel gun in .357/.38. Something that I could hunt with, carry in the truck, use for home protection, cast and load for. I also wanted adjustable sights. Something that was tough and reasonably priced. So I chose the GP 100. It'll handle deer, pigs or anything else in these parts.

Without really considering the brand, I began to look for a 9mm autoloader. I tried everything. My only criteria was that if it naturally pointed in my hand, then it was a contender. I first picked up a Sig 226 Police trade in. Very nice pistol but was too big to conceal effectively. I tried to like the SA XD and the Glocks but they just didn't feel right. It came down to a CZ SP01 and the Ruger SR9. Both felt fine. Then the SR9c became available. Then it wasn't a contest. It's a little big but I like the added capacity. And I can hit with it. I've never been much of a pistol guy, but this pistol is amazing. I have no problem walking a golf ball well past 25 yards. I don't hit it every shot but I hit it a lot and that's certainly good enough for it's intended purpose.

Next my son wants a .22. Didn't think about it or even consider that it was a Ruger. Weird, I know but when I think .22, 1022 comes to mind. It's the youth model and I like it.

And then it dawns on me. I'm about to buy one of the scout rifles. And I realized that the majority of my firearms are Ruger. I don't buy "brands". It just turns out that they are a solid choice for the money.

Thanks for listening.

Paul

·
Registered
177 Posts
Funny how that happens...sounds like you've got a nice variety going on. Good choices indeed.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Well then,Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ruger just does it better at a great price.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am relatively new to the shooting scene, since August. When I first started I did not know about Ruger. I know SW, Colt, Winchester, and Remington. My friend intro'ed me to Ruger with his Ruger Target 22 and his 10/22 rifle. Then I was shown the Kimber. At the time I was looking for a 45 to start off with. I got talked into some sense to start off with a 9mm. I wasn't even considering poly guns since I heard of cracking after so many rounds. It only pertained to Glocks. So it made my choice easier. I held a few 9mm guns at the store before the SR9. Once I held it I was like that's it I'm sold. Then I was shopping for a rifle. Same result I held others and then the 10/22...SOLD! Then I thought about getting a 22 pistol because I thought the rifle was so much fun and cheap to shoot and I shot my friend's 22 Target pistol. I was considering something more modern looking and easy to maintain which the Target pistols weren't. So I held the SR22 and was SOLD once again. Now I'm a Ruger fan. I want a SR1911 but right now not legal for sale in CA and also want a 77 rifle.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix!

I was the same way. The SR1911 was my "gateway" Ruger. It led to 3 more in rapid succession. I'm not really a brand guy, either. But I only buy quality guns. Which explains my preponderance of Rugers.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Paul, welcome from SW Florida. I never planned to be a "Ruger guy" either but it just turned out that way! Great products at good prices = value. Enjoy your Rugers and happy shooting!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Welcome from S. OK. Enjoy. It's a great place to hang out.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
howdy and welcome from middle Dixie.

·
Registered
17,239 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kind of happened the same way for me. My LGS owner said to me " I know your a Smith guy but check this out" He showed me an SP101 in .22lr. I didn't buy it at that moment because it wasn't a smith but I couldn't get it out of my head I actually had a sleepless night over it. So I bought it the next day and I love it. I also love the 10/22 and would really like to pick up a Mark III hunter. So secretly I was a Ruger guy and I didn't know it. I still love my S&W 686 but prefer Ruger for everything else.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's funny this topic came up. Without realizing it was happening, one day it dawned on me that 7 of the 10 guns I own are Rugers! I wasn't planning on buying mostly Rugers but wound up with the guns I like.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.